Author Topic: Pairing Tyros 4 and SX 700  (Read 3348 times)

M Osinga

Pairing Tyros 4 and SX 700
« on: January 15, 2022, 03:46:55 PM »
Dear people.

I have the SX 700 and the Tyros 4. Is it possible to be able to play the styles of the SX 700 on the keys of the Tyros?

Offline mikf

Re: Pairing Tyros 4 and SX 700
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »
I am not sure of the SX600 spec, but if it has midi connections you can midi the two keyboards together and use the Tyros as a controller keyboard to play the sounds and styles of the SX.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
Dear people.

I have the SX 700 and the Tyros 4. Is it possible to be able to play the styles of the SX 700 on the keys of the Tyros?

Hi M Osinga,

There are several ways to control the SX700's auto accompaniment from an external keyboard. The easiest way I think is this:

- Connect the MIDI A OUT socket of the Tyros4 to the MIDI IN socket of the SX700 with a MIDI cable.

- Press "MENU > MIDI" on the SX700 to call up the MIDI display and make sure the Preset MIDI template "All Parts" is activated.

- Go to the "Receive" tab and change the setting from "Song" to "Keyboard" in the "Part" column at "Port1 Ch1" in the top line.

- Touch the "Save" icon and save this modified MIDI template in the "User" drive with a new, meaningful name (e.g. "Ch1 Keyboard"). Close the MIDI display.

- Make sure this modified MIDI template is now LOADED.

- Press "FUNCTION > MIDI" on the Tyros4 and make sure that the Preset MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" is activated here. Close the MIDI display.

- Now you should be able to control the SX700 with the Tyros4 keyboard in the same way as with the internal SX700 keyboard, i.e. with the "Lower" area (left hand) the Style and the Left Voice, and with the "Upper" area (right hand) the Right1-3 parts of the SX700.

As said, there are several possibilities. On the SX700, for example, you can define a specific MIDI channel for controlling the accompaniment under "Chord Detect" in the MIDI display and then control this with the "Lower" part of the Tyros4. (By default, this is channel 2.)

If you have any further questions, just get in touch here again!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:32:49 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: MIKEP

Offline chax

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:54:13 AM »
Hi Chris,
Further, when connected together, is it possible to sound R1+R2+R3 voices of Tyros along with R1+R2+R3 of SX700 (total 6 voices) simultaneously by pressing only one key of the Tyros. If so how to configure the KBs?
Regards
Chax

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 02:09:05 AM »
Hi Chris,
Further, when connected together, is it possible to sound R1+R2+R3 voices of Tyros along with R1+R2+R3 of SX700 (total 6 voices) simultaneously by pressing only one key of the Tyros. If so how to configure the KBs?
Regards
Chax

Yes Chax, this is exactly the behavior when you use the first method I described above (The Preset MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" is used on the Tyros and a custom MIDI template (where Port1 Ch1 is set to the Part "Keyboard" in "Receive" tab) is used on the SX700.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:14:50 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

M Osinga

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 05:52:23 AM »
Hi Chris,
Regards
Chax

Hello Overcover

My intention is to be able to play the accompaniment from the SX 700 on the Tyros. And as best as I read your story you meant it the other way around. Or do I have that wrong?

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2022, 09:41:10 AM »
Hi M Osinga,

The method I detailed above is the answer to your original question (the Tyros keyboard controls the SX700). The connection of the MIDI cable does not affect the normal sound of the Tyros.

If you do NOT want to hear the Tyros Voices, either switch all keyboard parts (R1, 2, 3, Left) to Off and switch "Stop ACMP" to Off in the Style Setting, or simply turn down the Tyros Master Volume completely. Otherwise, of course, you will also hear the Tyros (and that was exactly Chax's question ;) ).

Best regards,
Chris

Offline chax

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 08:48:25 PM »
Thanks Chris
very grateful
regards
Chaks

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 10:38:30 PM »
You're welcome, Chaks! :)

Best regards,
Chris

M Osinga

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »
Hi Chris,
Regards
Chax

Dear Chris

I have managed to get the tyros to play the sounds. But with the accompaniment I have to hold the keys. If I don't then only the drums go on, and not the instruments. Can you help me?
PS. The Sync start doesn't work either

Greetings Martin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:26:05 PM by M Osinga »

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 08:07:02 PM »
Dear Chris

I have managed to get the tyros to play the sounds. But with the accompaniment I have to hold the keys. If I don't then only the drums go on, and not the instruments. Can you help me?
PS. The Sync start doesn't work either

Greetings Martin

Hi Martin,

If the MIDI settings are correct, the SX900 should, as I said, react exactly the same when playing on the Tyros keyboard as when playing on the internal SX900 keyboard.
Sync Start (if desired) must be ON on the SX900 and ACMP must also be ON. (Otherwise you only hear the drums.)

I would do the same split point settings on the Tyros as on the SX900. Turn on ACMP here too. The Sync Start on the Tyros must of course be OFF so that the Tyros Style is not started at the same time.

If it still doesn't work as desired, please try the following:

- Press "Function > MIDI" on the Tyros.

- As mentioned, the Preset MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" should be selected there.

- Press "Edit" and go to the "Transmit" tab. The "Channel" column should say:

PART     CHANNEL
Right1     Off
Right2     Off
Right3     Off
Left          Off
Upper      MIDI A/USB CH1
Lower      MIDI A/USB CH2

Please try to set the "Lower" part to channel 1 as well (MIDI A/USB CH1). To save the modified MIDI template, press EXIT once, tab to USER drive and press SAVE.

You can also try turning OFF ACMP on the Tyros. Make sure the LEFT part (on the Tyros) is turned ON and set the LEFT volume to zero if necessary.

I wish you success!

Best regards,
Chris

M Osinga

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
Hello Chris.

We are almost there. The rhythm is now working, only he is still showing the tones of the SX 700 on the left hand. If I can turn that off I think I'm all set.
He then still lets out the sounds of the right hand

I want to thank you already for your support
Greetings Martin
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:42:06 PM by M Osinga »

M Osinga

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 09:41:06 PM »
Hello Chris

I have managed to get it done.
Thanks again.