Author Topic: PSR-E433 -- >>> IN FOR SERVICE! <<<  (Read 1946 times)

Offline SciNote

PSR-E433 -- >>> IN FOR SERVICE! <<<
« on: January 15, 2022, 03:41:47 AM »
So, a few of you may remember that I've reported some occasional distortion in the sound of my keyboard -- especially with the string sounds.  Well, I've finally decided to get it looked at by an authorized Yamaha service center in my area.

I was inspired by the member here who has an E403 that had some bad distortion, and he said he took it to a repair shop and it ended up being a relatively easy fix by replacing the D-to-A converters (if I remember correctly).  While my distortion is nowhere near as bad as what that member posted, I figured it's worth it to get it looked at.  Additionally, a few of you may remember that I had brought my keyboard to my Dad's home several years ago, and I temporarily rested it up against a wall, but it was on a tile floor, and the keyboard slipped and slammed on the floor.  I don't know if it was psychosomatic, but that does seem to be around the time the distortion started.

The shop is charging $50 US to check it out.  I figure this will be a good step to see what to do next if the E473 comes out soon -- or even those new Casios being discussed in another thread (the E473 thread in the Yamaha Keyboards -- General section).

Hopefully, they find something basic and straightforward so that I can keep using this keyboard.  Unfortunately, I have a funny feeling that Yamaha is only going to make incremental changes again with the E473, and if those live-control knobs are being moved away from the keyboard area, then that is a further concern.  But, I'll just have to see what Yamaha actually does with the new model.  Maybe they'll rethink where the live-control knobs go, and maybe they will improve the key feel over the E443-E463.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:45:36 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline SciNote

Re: PSR-E433 -- >>> IN FOR SERVICE! <<<
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:56:00 AM »
Well, I've got my PSR-E433 back!  Apparently, the tech did not find anything specifically wrong with it.  He said there is a test mode that sends out sine-wave test-tones to test the D-to-A converters (and perhaps other circuits), and he said he had it on a scope and that everything was well within specs.  He said he did a factory reset -- good thing I backed up everything!

I will say, however, that I am currently noticing a significant improvement.  I hooked it up to this stereo amp that I'm building, and it sounds much better.  Previously, I noticed significant distortion through this amp.  Could simply doing a factory reset be all that was needed?  I'll see if it continues to sound good for the long haul!
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline vbdx66

Re: PSR-E433 -- >>> IN FOR SERVICE! <<<
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 10:43:14 AM »
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear your E433 is still alive and kicking.

Usually a factory reset can do wonders, not just for keyboards really but also for computers, smartphones, tablets and other appliances.

I am sure this information will help other E series users, too.

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.