Author Topic: Want- not need!  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Denn

Want- not need!
« on: January 14, 2022, 01:51:04 AM »
I wonder how many people have explored and mastered all the possibilities on their existing keyboard? The main problem as I see it; people are not so much interested in what their keyboard CAN do but what it can't do. I recently played a CD that I made in 2008 on my then PSR S900. It sounded great. I have tried to emulate some of those sounds on my Tyros4 to no avail.
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

Offline SciNote

Re: Want- not need!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 03:57:19 AM »
You make a very valid point.  These keyboards have tons of functions, and I bet the majority of owners have only scratched the surface of many of them.

Never mind a Tyros or PSR-S900 -- I've been using a PSR-E433 for eight years, and it has served me well.  But for me, I mainly only use styles for the drums, so the various instrumental features for the styles on the advanced models are not important to me.  For me, it's the sound and sound creation that are important, and the E433 is quite versatile, even including filter and envelope generator.  There are things that I wish it had, such as the ability to set the sustain pedal to sustain both sides of a split keyboard, so I always keep looking out for what the newest models can do, but so far, Yamaha hasn't implemented the main changes I would like to see.  Well see what happens with the PSR-E473 when it is finally introduced.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:59:10 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »
Hi Denn --

You got it! I doubt sax players turn over their instruments as frequently as musicians with electronic instruments.  ::)

I'm plenty happy with both MODX and Genos. Sure, there are always a few new features that would be nice to have and we should let Yamaha know what they are. But, I'm not going to obsess over it.

Still, I'm interested in the technology and development side. That's just a retired technologist trying to keep his hand in.  ;D

All the best -- pj

Offline luiscarlos2000

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 04:13:23 AM »
You've got it den!
Since I have my PSR-A2000 for 7 or so years and my A3000 for 6 years, I'm happy with both of them. Shure, I need to explore more advanced technology like the PSR-A5000 has: Microphone support, 2 usb to devices? terminals, possibility to pass data from the keyboard to the computer... something that my previous keyboards doesn't have. Not to be obsessed, that's for shure.
Past Yamaha keyboards that I now don't use: PSR-S710, PSR-A2000
Current Yamaha keyboard I use: PSR-A3000
Next, or future, Yamaha keyboard I will use: PSR-A5000

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
I have always wanted to learn the OS of every keyboard model I have owned simple to get them to sound at their best.
My latest DGX670 OS Menu is more frustrating because it's different to the normal Yamaha I was used to...but I'm slowely getting there.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:13:38 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline Enildo

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 03:59:43 PM »
I wonder how many people have explored and mastered all the possibilities on their existing keyboard? The main problem as I see it; people are not so much interested in what their keyboard CAN do but what it can't do. I recently played a CD that I made in 2008 on my then PSR S900. It sounded great. I have tried to emulate some of those sounds on my Tyros4 to no avail.
Regards, Denn.

The fact that there are several functions on the keyboard that are not used by most people doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. What is important to an "X" musician will not always be important to a "Y" musician. The keyboard is there to serve musicians from many countries, ethnicities, cultures, and emulate different types of instruments around the world. Some function, feature, configuration, etc., may not interest you, but it will already be of interest to someone else.

The keyboard, when it is made, is designed worldwide, and to serve from beginner musicians to more experienced musicians who want to refine their performances.

Greetings,
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 05:16:51 PM »
So right Enildo - almost no-one will want or need everything on these keyboards. In fact I have zero interest in many of the functions. But even if you only use 10% of the features and they bring out a new model with something new or improved that is important to you, then you may well  be tempted to upgrade.
And as I have said many times, the latest and greatest model is not primarily bought by people upgrading the existing model. The main market is buyers new to arrangers, people upgrading much older keyboards or upgrading from lesser models.
Mike