Author Topic: Playlist - moving registrations  (Read 1641 times)

Offline jcm2016

Playlist - moving registrations
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:33:29 PM »
I have not been using playlists, and have been building a library of registration banks.   Sometimes I move the registration banks around, as in what folder they're in.  Everything is within the User section.

If I create a playlist, I understand it to be essentially a series of references to registration banks.   If the registration bank moves from one place in the user section to another, is the playlist smart enough to follow it?   Sort of like in excel, if there's a cell reference and the cell moves, excel updates the reference?  But also on the Microsoft world, if there's a link to a doc in a folder, and the doc moves, the link is static and will break.  I appreciate Yamaha is not Microsoft, I'm just trying to draw the analogy!

I'm asking because I believe some of the struggle with the extra playlists that Yamaha provides is that they need to be used with the USB.  So logically, I think the playlists won't be smart enough.

Any creative workarounds?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Playlist - moving registrations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 01:34:10 PM »
If the registration bank moves from one place in the user section to another, is the playlist smart enough to follow it?

No.

The creative workaround is not to move registrations, or when you do, relink the playlist.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 09:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the response

Offline dlepera

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 08:39:36 PM »
Hello.  Many of us Newbies have shared your same experience and questions.  I for one was one of them last year and boy did it drive me crazy until I reached out in this form and my post/attached link may be of some value to you.  Good luck and as Fred suggested "DONT MOVE" anything around on your USB drive that may have the potential to affect your registrations(which is almost everything) except MIDI files and maybe other things that I have not come across yet.
    Another tip is to ensure that you do not put tooooo many files in one registration folder. There is a limit and can't remember the exact number but as soon as I reach 200 registration in a folder I simply start up another folder.
  I also take a backup(yes may be over kill but boy it has save me a few times in the past while learning about the effects of moving things around) of the USB(clone) to another for backup just in case something goes wrong.  I have had to use it as I have gone along adding additional syltes, pads, registrations to my LIVE USB and slipped a couple of times by adding to existing folder rather than creating new ones for them.  So lessons learned from me and practicing them has kept me clean and out of the woods for some time now.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,57981.msg449514.html#msg449514_   

Regards.               dom
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 09:06:08 AM »
Dom - thanks for this and the linked thread.   Like you, I'm hugely grateful to everyone on here for the help and support.  This is my first arranger and at times it's magic and at times I'm in way over my head.  Of course it's me, not the arranger, as I see what others are able to do through YouTube videos etc