Author Topic: Play in all keys -is there a good way to learn this in a short time?  (Read 8265 times)

janamdo

Re: Play in all keys -is there a good way to learn this in a short time?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2022, 08:59:30 PM »
it is no trivial task to learn to proficiently sight read full sheet music in every key.
Mike
That is for the real pianist to play in all keys, but for the hobby keyboardplayer not needed
Or you must like to play piano songs too ( i like, but its too difficult for me at the moment  :()
Yes, the G major key and F major key are the easiest scales ones to use.
I do have some starters studymaterial for keyboard and it goes not further than one  sharp and one flat, that's it
I do have some more advanced keyboard lessonsmaterial and it revolves around these two F and G keys to play from in one series of lessons.
I don't see more keys in my advanced keyboard lessons
Playing in minor the A minor and D minor is also present there
Aminor has no flat or sharps and Dminor  has one sign.
So its all easy  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 09:12:40 PM by janamdo »

Offline mikf

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2022, 10:48:08 PM »
Jan
Relative beginners learning to read simple stuff in easy keys from lead sheets in private might is not too difficult. But when you are playing a wide range of music on piano or accordion in public, there are no crutches, nowhere to hide, no room for stumbling through, and the music would not be a simple arranger lead sheet. So sight reading at that level needs real proficiency gained over many years. It’s neither easy or common, even among some quite competent players.
Mike

janamdo

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2022, 11:02:38 PM »
Jan
Relative beginners learning to read simple stuff in easy keys from lead sheets in private might is not too difficult. But when you are playing a wide range of music on piano or accordion in public, there are no crutches, nowhere to hide, no room for stumbling through, and the music would not be a simple arranger lead sheet. So sight reading at that level needs real proficiency gained over many years. It’s neither easy or common, even among some quite competent players.
Mike
Mike
That's a professional musician
To improve your playing is practising , like all pro players do and if you are talented it makes it easier.
Of course to be a professional musican is not for every one to be achieve that
Not me.. i  will be a hobby player for always.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:07:31 PM by janamdo »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2022, 02:04:46 PM »
Hi
Do you not agree that some songs are better played in a different key. I mean easier.
Take Vangelis Chariots of fire, easier on the black notes, with a couple of whites!!!  :)
Just a different point of view. It just takes a little extra concentration  and you can do it.
It is like learning different moves on a chess board really

All the best John
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 02:07:05 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 03:51:59 PM »
That can be true, but when playing with others there is often no choice, you have to play in whatever key they play or sing in. If you know in advance you can practice, but sometimes it’s just thrown at you in real time. The arranger players on this forum usually play alone and can prepare everything they do in advance for a public performance.  But it’s not like that for most musicians playing traditional instruments. When I sat in local bands we never rehearsed, sometimes you had not even met the others in the band till you get to the venue. If you were lucky they had a vocalist who was halfway organized with a set list and the keys. Real luxury would be a set of lead sheets. Otherwise they just shouted the name of the tune, key and we go! All the people I played with in bands could handle this effortlessly.
Used to play in pubs in my young days and you don’t know the key till they start singing. Then you have about half a bar to find it and be with them. Sometimes the key seemed halfway between Ab and A. Try finding that!🙄
Mike
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:19:39 PM by mikf »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 09:03:37 PM »
Oh my! I am in for some trouble!! Went through my list of songs that I play on the accordion today. It is G, C, F and Am all over the place, I just olayed the comfortable keys. So wish me luck. Today I purchased a used Zero Sette b26 accordion! And have started the task of learning to play the songs in their right keys! And I have asked for a song list from the band so I can be prepared. Taking on too much? Yes, but what the heck. I can always play for my dog if they kick me out😀 I still take piano lessons and compose songs on my keyboards. And I have you wonderful forum friends. I am lucky😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page