Author Topic: How do a video capture of the CVP 809 screen?  (Read 5319 times)

How do a video capture of the CVP 809 screen?
« on: January 07, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
Hello everyone. I want to make a screenshot of the CVP 809 screen. I also want to make a video capture of the screen. Is that posible? How to do that? Thank you in advance for the help!

Offline MillKa

Re: How do a video capture of the CVP 809 screen?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 04:56:35 PM »
On Genos and PSR-SX900/700, it is possible to take screenshots - may be the same procedure works on the CVP-809, too.

1) Turn off the keyboard.
2) In the Style Control section press and hold the buttons BREAK, ENDING-2 and ENDING-3 while turning on the keyboard. Now screenshot mode should be enabled.
3) Press button OTS-4 in the One Touch Setting section to take a screenshot.

Screenshots will be stored on the first USB drive. The file names will be CAPT0000.BMP, CAPT0001.BMP and so on ..

Also see: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41422.0.html for more info ...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:01:36 PM by MillKa »
Martin makes noises on Yamaha Genos, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; previously Yamaha PSR-S950, Technics SX-GX7, Yamaha DX-7, Roland MT-32

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 07:38:53 PM »
On Genos and PSR-SX900/700, it is possible to take screenshots - may be the same procedure works on the CVP-809, too.

2) In the Style Control section press and hold the buttons BREAK, ENDING-2 and ENDING-3 while turning on the keyboard. Now screenshot mode should be enabled.

Screenshots will be stored on the first USB drive. The file names will be CAPT0000.BMP, CAPT0001.BMP and so on ..

Also see: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,41422.0.html for more info ...

Thank you but I doesn’t work  :'(

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 09:44:54 PM »
Hello everyone. I want to make a screenshot of the CVP 809 screen. I also want to make a video capture of the screen. Is that posible? How to do that? Thank you in advance for the help!

Hi Rodrigo,

The method used on the Tyros5 may be able to take screenshots on the CVP-809. Please just try it out:

1. Turn off the keyboard.

2. Connect a suitable USB stick (preferably a stick with an LED that indicates the data transfer).

3. Press and hold the following three Voice Category buttons while switching on ("as a precaution" until the Home display appears):
Guitar&Bass + Strings&Vocal + Brass&Woodwind

So these are:
- third and fourth Voice Category button in the first row plus
- first button in the second row, see also the attached picture.

4. Each time you press the Registration Memory button #8 now, a screenshot shold be sent to the USB stick until the keyboard is switched off again.

Note: In this mode Registration #8 can NOT be reached by pressing the Registration #8 button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:49:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:22:51 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

The method used on the Tyros5 may be able to take screenshots on the CVP-809. Please just try it out:

1. Turn off the keyboard.

2. Connect a suitable USB stick (preferably a stick with an LED that indicates the data transfer).

3. While switching on, press and hold the following three Voice Category buttons ("as a precaution" until the Home display appears):
Guitar & Bass + Strings & Vocal + Brass & Woodwind

So these are:
- third and fourth Voice Category button in the first row plus
- first button in the second row, see also the attached picture.

4. Each time you press the Registration Memory button #8, a screenshot is sent to the USB stick until the keyboard is switched off again.

Note: In this mode Registration #8 can NOT be reached by pressing the Registration #8 button.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you but It doesn’t work   :( :( :(

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:56:27 PM »
Thank you but It doesn’t work   :( :( :(

Thank you for the quick feedback, Rodrigo!

Too bad, I had hoped that this key combination (in conjunction with Registration button #8) would also work with the CVP-809/805. Did you try this method several times and ensure that the USB stick used definitely works on the CVP-809?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 11:27:58 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

I still have an idea: Please try the method I described also with the following buttons (see also the attached picture):

Press and hold:
   1. Guitar&Bass + Strings&Vocal + option button "Main/Layer/Left"
     or
   2. Organ + Guitar&Bass + option button "Main/Layer/Left"

Maybe you are lucky and it works in this way.

Best regards,
Chris

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 04:16:29 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

I still have an idea: Please try the method I described also with the following buttons (see also the attached picture):

Press and hold:
   1. Guitar&Bass + Strings&Vocal + option button "Main/Layer/Left"
     or
   2. Organ + Guitar&Bass + option button "Main/Layer/Left"

Maybe you are lucky and it works in this way.

Best regards,
Chris

Thank You Chris, but again it doesn’t work  :( :( :(

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 08:03:35 PM »
Thank You Chris, but again it doesn’t work  :( :( :(

Thanks again for the feedback, Rodrigo!

If I should learn anything new on this subject, I'll post it here.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 09:14:24 PM »
Is there not a way to duplicate screen from CVP to a laptop and do the screen capture on the laptop?
Mike

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 09:21:32 PM »
Is there not a way to duplicate screen from CVP to a laptop and do the screen capture on the laptop?
Mike

Maybe it is but I don’t how to do that!  :(

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 10:10:47 PM »
Mike

Yes, this would be possible! But it is "a little" more cumbersome than using an internal screenshot function (which is probably also available on the CVP-809, but is unfortunately undocumented).

Method:
1. Connect a suitable USB 2.0 display adapter to the CVP-809. (Use the underneath USB-to-device socket of the CVP.)

I use the "iTec USB2HDTRIO" adapter on the Genos. Here are the display adapters for the CVP-809 that have been tested by Yamaha:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/1284078/compatible_usb_display_adapter_list_for_cvp-800.pdf

2. Make sure that the "Content" parameter is set to "LCD" under "Utility > Speaker/Connectivity > Display Out".

3. Restart the CVP to activate the adapter.

4. Connect the CVP display adapter to a suitable video-to-USB grabber adapter (via VGA, HDMI or DVI cable).

5. Connect the video grabber adapter to the PC / laptop via USB.

6. Use a suitable program on the PC (e.g. "VLC Player") to display the live image coming from the CVP.

7. Create the desired screenshots on the PC (either directly in the VLC Player) or in the usual way.

P.S.
As standard computers usually do not have a built-in Video INPUT, to my knowledge it is not possible to work without the two USB
adapters mentioned.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 10:20:01 PM by overover »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 10:47:49 PM »
I realise that Yamaha are usually tighter than a duck's 'sphincter' when it comes to providing useful information to customers that have already spent significant money purchasing their hardware,  but have you asked the so called 'experts'  ::) at your local Yamaha support website about this?

If not, why not try, but be prepared for 'fairy tales' if you do.  :'(

Of course, that's assuming that they bother to reply at all!

Regards

Ian

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 11:46:42 PM »
I realise that Yamaha are usually tighter than a duck's 'sphincter' when it comes to providing useful information to customers that have already spent significant money purchasing their hardware,  but have you asked the so called 'experts'  ::) at your local Yamaha support website about this?

If not, why not try, but be prepared for 'fairy tales' if you do.  :'(

Of course, that's assuming that they bother to reply at all! ...

Hi Ian,

I know that Yamaha Germany/Europe does not give you these screenshot commands even on request and that their own and freelance employees (e.g. demonstrators or sound programmers) are explicitly prohibited from disclosing these key combinations to normal users. I have no idea why they are making this such a secret.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:50:38 PM by overover »

Offline MillKa

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 10:59:50 PM »
Looks like the CVP-809 uses another key combination to turn on screenshot mode ...

Another way to take screenshots is sending MIDI SysEx (system exclusive) messages.

On my Genos, the following sequence works (all bytes in hexadecimal notation):

1) Send "7E.7F.09.01" to turn on GM1 mode (General MIDI version 1)
2) Send "43.10.4C.00.00.7E.00" to turn on Yamaha XG mode
3) (optional) Send "90.3C.60" to play a middle C note (#60) on channel 1
4) Send "43.73.01.51.09.00.00.00" to read keyboard screen into an internal buffer
5) Send "43.73.01.51.09.00.02.01.04" to write internal buffer to USB1 root directory as file "CAPT00xx.BMP"
6) (optional) Send "90.3C.00" to turn off the note started in step 3

I have uploaded a small Windows program "SndSysEx.exe" to DropBox.
Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lid09lqcl5jr5pt/SndSysEx.exe?dl=0

DropBox might try to talk you into creating an account, but you do not need an account just for downloading !

This windows program needs the NET Framework 4.0 runtime (or later) - which should be already installed on all windows versions.

a) To use it, make sure that no other MIDI program is running.
b) Start SndSysEx.exe.
c) In the upper listbox, select "Genos, Tyros3/4" as keyboard type.
d) In the lower listbox, select the MIDI output port - usually "Digital Workstation-1", if you are using the Yamaha USB MIDI driver.
e) Press the button "Send SysEx to create a screenshot".
f) If the MIDI connection works, you should hear a short middle C note.
g) The screenshot named "CAPT00xx.BMP" should be found in the root directory of USB 1 drive.

Update 2022-01-11:
- added download link (DropBox)
- Check box to turn on/off playing note while screenshot is taken
- Program window now resizable
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:32:52 AM by MillKa »
Martin makes noises on Yamaha Genos, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; previously Yamaha PSR-S950, Technics SX-GX7, Yamaha DX-7, Roland MT-32

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 11:33:26 PM »
Hi Rodrigo,

Just to be absolutely sure: Are you really sure that you originally used the key combination "Break + Ending II + Ending III" mentioned by Martin (MillKa) and that you pressed these buttons BEFORE you switched on the CVP-809 (and held down until the home display appeared)?

It has already happened to me that I accidentally (on the Genos) held down "Break + Ending I + Ending II" and then wondered why the screenshot function was not active ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:45:44 PM by overover »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 12:48:46 AM »
Looks like the CVP-809 uses another key combination to turn on screenshot mode ...

Another way to take screenshots is sending MIDI SysEx (system exclusive) messages.

4) Send "43.73.01.51.09.00.00.00" to read keyboard screen into an internal buffer
5) Send "43.73.01.51.09.00.02.01.04" to write internal buffer to USB1 root directory as file "CAPT00xx.BMP"

I will try to attach a small Windows program "SndSysEx.exe", which does exactly that - but maybe the Forum software will not allow to attach executable code ..
This windows program needs the NET Framework 4.0 runtime (or later) - should be already installed on all windows versions.

b) Start SndSysEx.exe.
d) In the lower listbox, select the MIDI output port - usually "Digital Workstation-1", if you are using the Yamaha USB MIDI driver.
g) The screenshot named "CAPT00xx.BMP" should be found in the root directory of USB 1 drive.

The forum software does not allow to attach executable code.
I have zipped the program and renamed the file type ending to ".RGT" - maybe that works.
Download "SndSysEx_Zip.rgt" and rename it to "SndSysEx_Zip.zip".
Windows understand the ZIP format - the file icon should look like a folder with a zipper.
Open the zip and copy/extract the "SndSysEx.exe".

I have removed your executable file, Millka.

Please do not rename file extensions to bypass the security restrictions of our forum.  If you would like to provide executable files for our members, please upload your files to an online storage account and subsequently post a link to those files for our members to download.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 01:35:58 AM »
Hi Rodrigo,

Just to be absolutely sure: Are you really sure that you originally used the key combination "Break + Ending II + Ending III" mentioned by Martin (MillKa) and that you pressed these buttons BEFORE you switched on the CVP-809 (and held down until the home display appeared)?

It has already happened to me that I accidentally (on the Genos) held down "Break + Ending I + Ending II" and then wondered why the screenshot function was not active ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, I'm absolutely sure I pressed the right buttons

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 01:37:24 AM »

I will try to attach a small Windows program "SndSysEx.exe", which does exactly that - but maybe the Forum software will not allow to attach executable code ..
This windows program needs the NET Framework 4.0 runtime (or later) - should be already installed on all windows versions.

b) Start SndSysEx.exe.

The forum software does not allow to attach executable code.
I have zipped the program and renamed the file type ending to ".RGT" - maybe that works.
Download "SndSysEx_Zip.rgt" and rename it to "SndSysEx_Zip.zip".
Windows understand the ZIP format - the file icon should look like a folder with a zipper.
Open the zip and copy/extract the "SndSysEx.exe".

Thank you!

Offline MillKa

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 09:21:31 AM »
I have removed your executable file, Millka.

Please do not rename file extensions to bypass the security restrictions of our forum.  If you would like to provide executable files for our members, please upload your files to an online storage account and subsequently post a link to those files for our members to download.

I am sorry for trying to bypass the security restrictions.
I have added an download link to DropBox.