Author Topic: Transposing on PSR SX 900 for Novice player.  (Read 3824 times)

Offline geoff5798

Transposing on PSR SX 900 for Novice player.
« on: January 07, 2022, 12:01:30 PM »
Im still a novice player. I have just bought a book with 700 tunes in it. The tunes come in about 10  different keys. Knowing that its possible to transpose on a PSR SX 900 I have got hold of a transposition chart.

If I have a piece of music written in the key of D  I know that the F and C notes should be played on the black sharp keys, If I press the transpose button twice can I then play the tune in the key of D as though it was in the key of C and not have to play the sharp black keys at all ?

Looking at the keyboard there seems to be two ways to transpose. There are the buttons near the live control section. Also in the menu section page 2 there is the option of transposing both the master and the keyboard section. I’m a bit baffled by this. Because I am a novice and only learning music there very slowly I tend to play the preset styles and play the one or two finger easy play chords.

What would be the best way for me to use this wonderful keyboard for me to take advantage of this transposition facility. ?

Thanks

Geoff

Re: Transposing on PSR SX 900 for Novice player.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »
Hi, Geoff!

The main use of transposition is to be able to adjust the piece to the voice of the person you are accompanying (or to other instruments in a band).

Let me explain: suppose you are playing a piece in C (no flats nor sharps), and transpose +2 (two semitones up). The keyboard will sound as if you are playing two semitones higher, that is, when you play a C a D will sound; if you play an E, an F# (F-sharp) will sound. All the song will be transposed up!

In the case you presented, this wouldn't help, unless you also rewrote the music to be in the correct key. If you transpose the piece, and try to play using the white keys instead of the black keys, it will sound... strange...

There are several ways to access the transposition controls. The buttons on the keyboard are for quickly transposing everything (imagine a singer telling you: can you play it a little bit lower for me? --> easy! Just press transpose down and done!). The controls available in the menus give a little bit more control: imagine you have a MIDI file, and you want to play on top of it, but the music you have is on a different key than the MIDI file (i.e., transposed). You would need to transpose the notes you play (keyboard) without transposing the MIDI file. This is possible through the controls available in the menu.

I hope this clarifies transposition somewhat for you. Regards!

Andres

The following users thanked this post: geoff5798

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 03:44:08 PM »
Thanks for your reply Andres it was very informative. I guess I will have to study and practice different keys and scales

thanks
Geoff

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 04:30:59 PM »
Geoff
To elaborate on the reply from Andres, transpose means change key and can apply to either
A) …changing the key of the music by re-writing it in the key you desire. So it’s written in say Eb, and you completely re-write it in the key you want to play in, maybe C. Some really experienced musicians can do this in real time in their head, without writing it down, but at your stage even attempting re-writing it would be a step too far.
Or
B) playing it in the written key while adjusting the instrument to sound in the desired key. This is what Andres referred to and is not what you need because you still end up playing in the difficult written key.

At your stage you probably should buy books that have a selection of songs in easy keys ie mainly C, F And G. These are available. If you are truly a beginner it is going to be a long time before you can comfortably play in a variety of difficult keys. This is true even on the arranger where you need to play LH chords to drive accompaniment. You would need to learn the chords in every key, quite daunting for a beginner, and realistically years - not weeks - of practice. In fact some “older “ beginners might never get there.
Your best bet for early success on an arranger is to learn the 3 or 4 main chords in the key of C, and learn how to read a simple melody line in key of C. This will get you started making music, and in itself be difficult enough. Then move on to similar in keys F and G. Where you go from there will depend on you, your natural ability, and the time you dedicate. But even a talented beginner will find that getting competent in just these three easy keys will take a while. There are no short cuts other than the one you have already taken, which is to buy an arranger. The arranger is way easier than a standard piano or organ, but still not instant.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 06:00:12 PM by mikf »

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 11:24:52 PM »
Here's an example of how the transpose is used by most players.  I recorded this tune playing it in the key of G and at 1:22 I used the transposer to take it up half a step, while still  playing in G.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrrQICsFbs      BTW, I've played for over 50 years and still use C, G, and F for most tunes.  The transposer is the slickest thing that's every come along for me.  Best of luck! 

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 12:15:29 AM »
Thanks for your reply Andres it was very informative. I guess I will have to study and practice different keys and scales

In fact, one of the benefits of Transpose is that you don’t have to learn a bunch of keys.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 11:32:29 AM »
Thanks Mike, Jeff and Fred for your replies. What I am doing now is taking the music book and pencilling in the appropriate Sharps and flats. I hope that in, a few months of doing this for the more common keys I will have memorised where these go and not to need the pencil.
I also have a copy of musescore which could be an option. At least with a larger print size I won't be straining my eyes as much.

Geoff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 01:00:38 PM »
I usually transpose my Music into a key I am comfortable with. In my case it is "F". Then I can use the transpose button to play it in any key required. Also just raise it a half tome when playing second time round. Works a treat.

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 01:47:09 PM »
Thanks Eileen . Do you transpose it on the actual sheet music first or on the Keyboard. I will also try raising it a tome second time around
Geoff

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 02:26:35 PM »
Geoff
You would always have to transpose the written music to play in a different key. Transposing the keyboard only allows you to sound in a different key to the one you actually play.
I am also a bit puzzled by your statement about adding sharps and flats. I am assuming by that you mean marking sharps and flats on individual notes on the music but not changing the key. Not sure this is a great idea, maybe ok in F or G,  but if the key is Ab for example you would be adding flats everywhere and the manuscript would be very messy to read. And if it is F or G it’s quite easy anyway, because you just remember to flatten the B or sharpen the F.
If you are intent on learning to read and play songs in all the written keys, you would have to religiously practice scales, arpeggios and chords in every key to become comfortable. And not only play them, but read them from music so reading and playing them become second nature. And that is a long, long road.
You are better to buy music in easy keys to get started.
Mike

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 02:37:35 PM »
Hello Geoff,
  I transpose the sheet music. There are several programmes that will do this for you.
I then print out my new version and place it on my I Pad for use when I want to play it.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 03:49:37 PM »
I primarily used the transpose key to get to a chord that was comfortable for my vocals, yet I could still play it in the original keys that were also more comfortable. Worked great for me!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 04:55:50 PM »
Although we all understand what it means, I suppose strictly speaking the keyboard transpose function is mis-named. It’s actually a pitch alteration button in semi tone steps. The key you play in does not change, but the pitch of the output is altered up or down when pressed, which has the same effect as playing in a different key. The main use is to match the comfortable range of a vocalist or the pitch of an external instrument, without having to play in a different key.
People also sometimes use it to effectively sound as if they changed key during playing, by moving the pitch ups semi tone while continuing to actually play in the same key - as Eileen described.  But while this works to an extent as an abrupt change, it is quite difficult to do this this while using transitional chords to achieve a more sophisticated, smoother key change.
Mike

Offline andyg

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 05:54:33 PM »
I created this Transposition Table for my students.

It will give you the ability to move from any key (assuming you know what key the original is, based on key signature etc) to any other. You can then use the transpose buttons (+/-) to shift to the desired key.

I try not to let my students use the transposer just to make things easier. They are taught to play in various keys and I'd certainly recommend doing what you suggest - learning the key signatures and scales (no need to play them at 100mph) and there's a Circle of 5ths sheet on my website that you can download to help.

However, there are exceptions. If their music is in G and the original recording is in Gb, for example, then yes they may use it! Only the Grade 6+ students play in Gb! And of course, there's nothing really wrong with using +1 on the transposer to give the last chorus of a song something of a 'lift'. (Learning the 'modulating chords' to get from one key to the other will make that smoother.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, geoff5798, dlepera

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »
Great job, Andy.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2022, 10:31:35 PM »
I primarily used the transpose key to get to a chord that was comfortable for my vocals, yet I could still play it in the original keys that were also more comfortable. Worked great for me!

I do the same thing, but I don't sing.  My front man takes care of that, and when we're trying out a tune I just ask him what key he's comfortable with and I play it in whatever key I like and use the transposer to make it comfy for him. 

Offline geoff5798

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 11:58:49 AM »
Mike was. right I did find adding sharps and flats in the manuscript messy and hard to read when playing. What I have started to do now is just stick to keys with no more than two sharps of flats in them. Instead of writing on the stave the flats or sharps I now simply write at the very top of the sheet for example : "key of G play F as sharp" This way my manuscript remains uncluttered. By just sticking to 4 keys at the moment I will memorise where the sharps and flats go within a month or so and won't need to write at the top of the page.
Geoff

Offline Toril S

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 01:33:32 PM »
Struggling with this too. It will come to us eventually!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 02:44:11 PM »
Geoff
Don’t lose sight of the main objective which is to produce nice music - not overcome all the challenges of multiple keys. I.E. if you still don’t play that well in C, it’s not a victory to play even worse in Bb.
You picked up keyboard playing very late in life, and just getting to the level of sounding decent in one key is a major victory.
So stick with C till you are pretty good at it, then move to songs in F and G. Get really comfortable with them and then move to Bb, D.
It’s different for Toril, she has been playing for years and pretty competent, and expanding her horizons.
Mike

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 02:24:59 AM »
Im still a novice player. ..
.. Because I am a novice and only learning music

Slightly Off topic.
First off, welcome to the world of PSR and music in general.
As you said you are a novice, I would strongly recommend you learn all the scales. I know it sounds tough, but learning different scales would give you ample opportunity to byheart the notes as well as learn different techniques of fingering .. will help you in the long run.

Wishing you all the best.