Author Topic: Will not turn off  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Shadow

Will not turn off
« on: January 05, 2022, 03:42:47 PM »
Having trouble turning off my 770 Any thoughts?
Thanks Shadow

Barkis35

Re: Will not turn off
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 03:00:11 PM »
The same for me

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »
This is a common problem with Yamaha's carbon contact, rubber button switches. The only option is to replace the switch. Cleaning the contacts will usually not solve the problem. Been there, done that!

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 11:48:15 PM »
I have always unplugged my keyboards from the power point on the wall.I have owned 2 yamaha PSR's in the last 10 years,  on which the ON/OFF switch on the KB would NOT turn off.
Interestingly ,the switch on the KB never ever refused to work when I was turning the KB on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 01:53:23 AM by YammyFan »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 01:28:28 AM »
If you have some electro-mechanical background, you can get to the switch, which means removing several boards in order to access it. Then you can clean the contacts with denatured alcohol and a Q-Tip, then wipe it dry with a microfiber cloth before reassembling. However, at best, you may get another few months of operating properly before having to replace the switch, which is not easy.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 08:23:41 PM »
I've got the same issue, however I never have a problem turning it ON. 

Anyone know why its a problem to turn Off but not On?

NASAMike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 08:53:35 PM »
When turning the keyboard On, there only needs be a short, single contact to activate the system. When turning it off, however, you need to hold down the switch for a couple seconds, a feature that was added so a performer could not inadvertently turn off the keyboard by accidentally touching the switch, a problem that was reported with earlier keyboards. If the contacts are cruddy, they usually are intermittent, which does not allow for a full 3 seconds of connection to shut down.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...