Author Topic: Let us get real-- for those who question  (Read 10321 times)

Re: Let us get real-- for those who question
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2022, 01:35:27 PM »
Glad you're still here, YammyFan.

John, well put. The formula, "less is more" really applies to final mixing. Yours and Eileen's comments gave me an "ah-ha" moment. Recordings from the Genos are very good. I think Yamaha has attempted to provide an output that satisfies the living room players who use the Yamaha speakers, as well as, those who play the live stage and use far bigger systems. Recordings from the Genos likely need very little tweaking. The Mastering software must be used very carefully. The tendency is to crush a final mix with all kinds of algorithms from the Mastering software, when in reality, it results in a sloppy mess.

You mentioned using VST instruments. Yes, VST sounds are superior to most of the Genos sounds, although that's debatable with the ART and SA2 voices. I've done recordings using 95% VST and a few Genos voices. Those final mixes took a ton of time and work to get right.

The moral: Learn how to do final mixing with predominantly Genos voices first, and then advance to VST voices. It sounds like you're well on your way to doing that already.

I've let my recording activities slide over the past year in favor of learning how to play the R&B genre. The new band I joined needs brass, sax, B3, strings, piano, vibes, and e.piano. The Genos is absolutely the best instrument with which to achieve these sounds. The Registrations make the job very smooth. The guys wonder how I can switch over to different sounds so fast. They sometimes wonder if I pre-scored a lot of my sounds! That would be impossible without a click track for the drummer. The Genos is just stellar for this type of playing. But I digress...;D...again...???.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 01:37:35 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
hi Joe... 
 Gulfoss EQ is starting to take some weight off of me as it is an intelligent EQ and acts also like  a muliband as it goes through all of the frequencies adjusting constantly during a song. This is what i have learnt and it sounds great doing the before and after... Any way i will keep plugging on  as i love this challenge.

All the best
John :)  " it certainly keeps your brain active" :P

John,

I find it helpful to take a break for a couple of days, ( my ears can get tired) then come back and listen to the mix again.  Many times I hear things differently that way. It helps me a lot!

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline YammyFan

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 01:32:25 AM »
Hi John --

I. Reading articles about musicians great and not-so-great, no one seems completely satisfied with work that is supposedly "finished." Sometimes I have to tell myself "Close enough for rock'n'roll" and move on.  :D

All the best to ya -- pj
I read somewhere a good quote which said "A musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse."

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »
I must admit it sound a little pedantic. it all depends which way you look at it  ;D
What have you done with that flaming quote Yammi!!! :P :P :P "Sausages"!! :o ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:56:34 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2022, 08:58:11 PM »
I read somewhere a good quote which said "A musician's work is never done. It is the musician's joy and curse."

hi Pj

A bit like a Bumble bee !! :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2022, 09:01:01 PM »
Hi Joe

I am now walking away for an hour after a spell on the mixing.
You ought to look at Gulfoss, it makes the difference.
I will demonstrate my latest effort a little later.

all the best
John :)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2022, 01:42:11 AM »
Hey John,

I just spent several hours mixing a new style I created.  I'm up to 14 iterations and still not done.  Every time I make an edit I save with a new letter... style A, style B, Style C, etc. That's what it is like. It's a slow process of adjusting Voices, drum kits, Volumes, DSP Types and depths, Filters, Panning, etc. Then there is the OTS settings... picking the appropriate Right and Left Voices.  Some days are good days and some are bad days. A few months from now I may decide it needs more editing.

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:08 PM »
Hi Joe
I have just mixed Love Grows an Edison Lighthouse song and to my ears on the headphones it sounds like i have got it right comparing with the real version.
I have had to really get used to flat sound using Sonarworks Sound ID reference. It's all a worry.  ;D
Tonight, i will check on my monitors and then back to headhones to check the stereo fine points.
After a bounce down to single track i will put into Ozone and try to master it the best that i can, just making minor tweaks and then bring up to stream level and also have a go to bring it to CD level.
My Christmas mix and master of the song that i did i felt it was too bright and slightly thin, so i went back to delving into videos online again to find answers.
Looking how they mastesr make it look easy with only small moves to polish,  it is down to experimentaion again to emulate them.
We will crack it in the end. 8)
I will compare the finish result from Ozone 9 and also just using Gulfoss master EQ and limiter to bring the level to 11 to 14 LUF's
Ozone 9 has a Tonal balance to get your song into the right bracket, but sometimes it never turns out the way that you think it would.
It is all down to the learning process. It is getting closer
Just hope it turns out the same as the reference track this time.
 I am also putting on songs more often on my Monitors regulaly now, so i get used the sound of them.
Well i will keep on trying and now i have got my ears back to normal after a o'rrible ear infection ;D. That makes you very miserable :-[

All the best
john
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 01:18:22 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2022, 03:28:17 PM »
John, would you post some of your work? I'd love to hear your final product. Probably need to use a hosting site due to the large file sizes.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
Hi Lee

Yes , i will put the song on Box.com when finished.
Tomorrow i hope to get somewhere.
I will explain what i have done and  i am open to criticism, hopefully constructive
I do not mind as learning is the way to go and any advice is always welcome.
I wonder also what the updates are in Stylemagic. Looking foward to having a look.

All the Best
John :)