Author Topic: 147 leslie  (Read 3321 times)

Offline winternotes

147 leslie
« on: December 31, 2021, 03:12:16 AM »
Has anyone tried using a 147 or 122 leslie with the T4. Used to use it with the Hammond B2
Having fun in retirement

Offline andyg

Re: 147 leslie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »
It's possible, but you would need to use a Type I Combo Preamp with the Leslie 147. Leslies are designed to take hot, speaker level input, so the line level signals from the Tyros would not be sufficient. (Some of the later solid state models might accept it - just)

You wouldn't want to use a 122. For all its 'Holy Grail' status amongst the 'It must be a B-3 plus 122' people, I don't rate it as highly as the 147. Less treble, harder to hook up (needs a balanced, speaker or Hammond pre-amp level input) and there's an annoying delay when you switch speeds. And there's a premium to pay for the 'superior' (not) qualities of the 122.

I'd be inclined to look for a 760 or 770. Solid state, more oomph and cheaper. You'd need a Type II Combo Preamp. People will rightly say that it doesn't have the warmth of a 147 but, having tried them side by side, at normal volume levels there's precious little in it. If you want that tube overdrive at low levels, just use one of the DSP effects in the Tyros before the signal gets fed to the Leslie.

Of course, all the sounds will spin, including pianos, strings, rhythms etc - unless there's a way of routing just the Organ Flutes through the Leslie.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline winternotes

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 07:55:47 PM »
OK: I am a die hard leslie guy. Tell me how to get that "FULL" no bass, no treble, just smooth sound out of my T4 before I am too old to play anymore. It is just that FULL FLUTE< SMOOTH sound that I just cannot seem to get.!!
Having fun in retirement

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 08:34:12 PM »
Hi winternotes,

If you want to put a keyboard part (e.g. Right 1) on a separate output (Sub Out) on the T4, you can set this in "Mixing Console > Line Out". (To output a part in stereo, simply use two Sub Outs (column "SUB1&2"). (See also the chapter "Line Out Settings" in the T4 Reference Manual, from page 114.)

It should be noted that the Sub Outs are not controlled via the master volume dial, but have a fixed volume. It is also important that the Sub Out Routing set on the T4 is only effective if a cable (TS plug) is actually connected to the relevant Sub Out jacks. If nothing is connected to the Sub Outs, all parts are output via the Main Outs again. (With the T5 and Genos, on the other hand, the current Sub Out Routing is always active, even if nothing is connected to the Sub Outs.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:24:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:01:06 PM »
overover Chris
You recommend using Sub outs ( 1+2 ) for Leslie effect.

But I am confused, you also say the Sub Outs volume is fixed.

B3 performance, and continuously changing volume or dynamics, go together like Swiss and Cheese. Playing B3 without ability to use Expression can't be what you are suggesting?

Thank you for all you do
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 07:51:31 PM »
overover Chris
You recommend using Sub outs ( 1+2 ) for Leslie effect.

But I am confused, you also say the Sub Outs volume is fixed.

B3 performance, and continuously changing volume or dynamics, go together like Swiss and Cheese. Playing B3 without ability to use Expression can't be what you are suggesting?

Thank you for all you do

Hi sugarplumsss,

As mentioned before, when I say "the volume of the Sub Outs is fixed" I mean that the Sub Outs are not controlled by the MASTER VOLUME dial.

This has nothing to do with the dynamics (loud/quiet) with which the relevant parts that are routed to the Sub Outs are played. But the volume of the Sub Outs has to be controlled on the external Mixer or directly on a looped-in external Effects device.

If the Sub Out signal is fed into an external Effects device and from there fed back into the AUX IN jacks of the keyboard, you must adjust the AUX IN volume in the Mixing Console accordingly. (In this case, of course, everything can be controlled together via the MASTER VOLUME dial.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:56:14 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, MadrasGiaguari

Offline winternotes

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 02:13:11 AM »
OK" My wife says STOP !!!!! You are 79 years old and that T4 sounds as good as any real Leslie and it is 100 lbs lighter. Be satisfied>
Lighter !!!! 100 lbs !!!
Having fun in retirement

Offline andyg

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:07:55 PM »
Nothing will ever beat a real Leslie that moves real air and creates real reflections.

But if your other half says enough..... you could experiment (if you haven't done so already) with Dual Rotor Bright in the DSP section, tweaking the parameters. You can get a decent Leslie emulation with some trial, error and a little cursing now and then!  ;D
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 06:53:23 PM »
OK" My wife says STOP !!!!! You are 79 years old and that T4 sounds as good as any real Leslie and it is 100 lbs lighter. Be satisfied>
Lighter !!!! 100 lbs !!!

Sadly, I agree ( don't want to, mind you. hear the sober higher pitched voice of a woman- but she is right)

I think average Leslie is 150 lbs... that is verboten for our spinal health

She is wrong about a Leslie versus a tyros. However the question is, to whom; the unsophisticated audience, at least 10 feet away, or to your ear!

Let's stay in touch regarding finding a tolerable Leslie emulation.

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline soryt

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 11:06:06 PM »
I have used the Motion sound Pro3 with my Tyros 4 and 5 , made a YT recording of it .
It sounded to my ears as the real thing and the Pro 3 is in my storage because it takes a lot of place with the Pa to use it in my living room ?

https://youtu.be/7I8NwQLXgT8

Soneg  :)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber