Author Topic: PSR SX-900 R1 & R2 voice can't be heard when R3 is also ON  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Christopher Fernandes

PSR SX-900 R1 & R2 voice can't be heard when R3 is also ON
« on: December 16, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
Hey everyone!

Out of nowhere, I ran into this issue where if I have all 3 voices layered, R1 & R2 voices can't be heard only R3 voice can be heard. Am I missing anything? Did I screw some settings?

Thank you!
Christopher
Current Instruments: Yamaha PSR-SX900/Epiphone DR100 AG

Gear: Yamaha KS-SW100 Subwoofer

Past Instruments: PSR-E413
Played: All Yamaha PSR-S, KORG PA700

Offline overover

Re: PSR SX-900 R1 & R2 voice can't be heard when R3 is also ON
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 09:15:22 AM »
Hi Christopher,

The reason for the behavior described is that the Right3 split point is not set correctly.

Please press "Direct Access > (Style Control) Sync Start" to open the split point settings display and make sure that the Right3 split point is set exactly one semitone higher than the Style and Left split points. Then press Exit to save the settings in the System Setup.

The default setting is as follows:

Style: F#2
Left: F#2
Right3: G2

Note: The split points can be changed again by Registrations, because when creating Registrations ALWAYS the split points are memorized (Style and Left split points with the checkmark "Style", Right3 split point with the checkmark "Voice".)

If you always play with the same split points, I recommend locking them in the "Parameter Lock" (Menu > Utility > Parameter Lock > set checkmark "Split Point"). By the way, you can also block the Fingering here if necessary. In addition, the "Master EQ" checkbox should always be ticked here.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:17:45 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge, Christopher Fernandes

Offline hans1966

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 03:24:43 AM »
Hi Chris, I have the same problem, but this happens when I switch to a different style than the one I have in register memory.

This happens when I use the own voices of the style in question (OTS) and then try to recall the memorized voices.

Greetings.

Hans
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 03:38:48 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 04:48:14 AM »
Hi Chris, I have the same problem, but this happens when I switch to a different style than the one I have in register memory.

This happens when I use the own voices of the style in question (OTS) and then try to recall the memorized voices.

It’s still a split point problem, Hans. Your registration is changing your split point. Follow Chris's instructions to lock the split point.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 05:12:12 AM »
Hi Hans,

first of all, OTS cannot change split points, Registrations can.

The reason for the described problem (R1 and R2 voices cannot be heard when R3 is additionally switched on) is always that the R3 split point is set slightly higher than the correct setting (which is, as mentioned, exactly one semitone above the Left split point.

I recommend to leave the Split Point settings display open while switching between the Registrations and OTS with which the problems occur. You probably will see that the split point settings are changed by your Registrations. In this case I would lock the split points (as mentioned) in the "Parameter Lock" display. (You can still manually adjust the split points directly in the split point settings display if needed.)

P.S.
As already mentioned, OTS cannot change the split points. But OTS can of course switch the ON/OFF status of the keyboard parts (just like Registrations).

For example, suppose the Style and Left split points are both set to F#2. If the R3 split point is accidentally set to G#2 instead of correctly set to G2, the R1 and R2 voices would only be heard on a single key (namely G2) when R3 is also switched on. It does not matter whether R3 is switched on manually or by an OTS or by a Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 05:19:14 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline andyg

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
I agree, technically, the OTS buttons should not be able to change split points.

However, as I and others have pointed out before, they sometimes seem to do just that. I've come across it with people who only ever used OTS and I've had to help them reset the split points. A bug somewhere? I don't know, but it seemed pretty random and I've not seen it happen past the S900. I discussed it with Yamaha ages ago and they were scratching their heads as was I!

My solution was to wean them off OTS and get them creating their own settings. None of my own students are allowed to even touch those buttons - but I bet they do when I'm not there! :)
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2021, 02:25:20 PM »
If split point is wrongly set players will only notice something is wrong when R3 is on. If R3 is off the fault is not apparent.
 As Chris points out, if the OTS is changed and it now happens to switch R3 on (it having been off before) the fault becomes apparent. In giving explanations (ie. the cause is rightly stated to be wrong split point) it might appear that OTS must have changed SP, but no, it only changed the on off status of R3, (wrong split point was already in place, set unnoticed either manually or by an earlier registration).

John
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:32:20 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
Hi Hans,

first of all, OTS cannot change split points, Registrations can.

The reason for the described problem (R1 and R2 voices cannot be heard when R3 is additionally switched on) is always that the R3 split point is set slightly higher than the correct setting (which is, as mentioned, exactly one semitone above the Left split point.

I recommend to leave the Split Point settings display open while switching between the Registrations and OTS with which the problems occur. You probably will see that the split point settings are changed by your Registrations. In this case I would lock the split points (as mentioned) in the "Parameter Lock" display. (You can still manually adjust the split points directly in the split point settings display if needed.)

P.S.
As already mentioned, OTS cannot change the split points. But OTS can of course switch the ON/OFF status of the keyboard parts (just like Registrations).

For example, suppose the Style and Left split points are both set to F#2. If the R3 split point is accidentally set to G#2 instead of correctly set to G2, the R1 and R2 voices would only be heard on a single key (namely G2) when R3 is also switched on. It does not matter whether R3 is switched on manually or by an OTS or by a Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris, It worked !! Thank you very much for your valuable help.

Cheers

Hans

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 04:30:02 PM »
I agree, technically, the OTS buttons should not be able to change split points.

However, as I and others have pointed out before, they sometimes seem to do just that. I've come across it with people who only ever used OTS and I've had to help them reset the split points. A bug somewhere? I don't know, but it seemed pretty random and I've not seen it happen past the S900. I discussed it with Yamaha ages ago and they were scratching their heads as was I!

My solution was to wean them off OTS and get them creating their own settings. None of my own students are allowed to even touch those buttons - but I bet they do when I'm not there! :)

Hi Andy, you have made my day !!

Thank you for that dose of humor that you put in front of the little difficulties of life.

Certainly that is what we need in these crazy times.

Cheers

Hans

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
It has happened to me a few times with past Yamaha keyboards. I remember one specific keyboard where the OTS was a problem and I am sure Yamaha bought out an update for it. Just can't remember which modal it was.

Offline cliffordleo1965

• cliff psr s 950, 975, SX 900
  • Assoc. Member
  • Yamaha is the best
    • cliffordleo
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 04:10:32 PM »
Hey everyone!

Out of nowhere, I ran into this issue where if I have all 3 voices layered, R1 & R2 voices can't be heard only R3 voice can be heard. Am I missing anything? Did I screw some settings?

Thank you!
Christopher

r1, r2, r3, voices working properly but u have to chose selected 3 voices and control volumes in mixing panel then add effect, its work according to your selection of voices no problem of using 3 voices, better to store after mixing in registration memory, its useful function after long time waiting Yamaha had 3 voices,, first it was in genos only, so we have to modify and use with help of registration memory's it's best function Yamaha keyboard have never any keyboard have 8 registration bank specialities
cliff.
cliffordleo