Author Topic: YEM 2.8.1 user created pack issues...  (Read 2870 times)

Offline StuartR

YEM 2.8.1 user created pack issues...
« on: December 24, 2021, 04:18:52 PM »
Happy Holidays to everyone!

After creating a custom user pack to allow me to send MIDI program changes from the Genos to my external Hammond B-3X iPad module, I've come across several problems using the latest version of YEM (2.8.1):
(Note that this pack doesn't contain any waveform data, just MIDI program changes and their corresponding patch names)

1) After the pack is created and successfully installed on my Genos, I've noticed that an extraneous MIDI program change message is sent out over the selected MIDI channel any time a programmed registration entry button is pressed that DOESN'T contain the enabled voice from the custom pack. That program change is never the one contained in the selected custom pack voice. I have verified this by monitoring the MIDI stream on the MIDI-attached iPad using MIDI Scope. When a registration entry button containing the custom voice (just containing empty waveforms and a program change value) is selected, things work as expected and the external module changes to the correctly mapped voice. But if my registration contains additional registration entry selections that use other local voices and have the custom pack voice deselected or not present, an extraneous program change is sent (along with other continuous controller messages too). What is going on here?

*UPDATE* - resolved, see following threads...

2) During the creation or editing process for a custom YEM voice pack, there is an option to "Edit Program Change". This brings up a window showing all the custom voices but doesn't allow any changes to any of them. What am I missing here?

Regards,
Stuart.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:53:53 PM by StuartR »

Offline Bill

Re: YEm 2.8.1 user created pack issues...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 08:10:11 PM »

2) During the creation or editing process for a custom YEM voice pack, there is an option to "Edit Program Change". This brings up a window showing all the custom voices but doesn't allow any changes to any of them. What am I missing here?

Regards,
Stuart.

Hi Stuart

I'm not an expert on using YEM by any means, however the faty yocu mention is not the standard MIDI Program change that you may think.  It simply allows you to select a different "Slot" for the voices to be loaded into, this is mainly used when there is a conflict.

Also - Just for interest - why do you use YEM when you do not have any waveform data.

Regards

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline StuartR

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 10:27:44 PM »
Hi Stuart

I'm not an expert on using YEM by any means, however the faty yocu mention is not the standard MIDI Program change that you may think.  It simply allows you to select a different "Slot" for the voices to be loaded into, this is mainly used when there is a conflict.

Also - Just for interest - why do you use YEM when you do not have any waveform data.

Regards

Bill

It is indeed a MIDI program change message as seen in Midi Scope and interpreted by my external module.

I'm using YEM so I can easily select an external module patch by just calling up a registration entry containing one of these custom voices in one of the Genos parts (R1, R2, R3). That way I can play the module alongside the Genos internal voices. I don't want any waveform data so that patch won't actually play anything and I don't have to shut Local to OFF on that part because MIDI settings can't be manipulated by a registration.

Offline RoyB

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
Stuart

I think I undertsand what you are trying to do. It is not dissimilar to what I have described in the thread I started about using a PC as an external sound module (https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56973.msg444291.html#msg444291).

You need to remember that when you select a registration or a voice part it will always send out MIDI program change messages. If the registration/voice part contains your custom voice it will send the MIDI program change message for that on the appropriate channels. If the registration/voice part does not contain your custom voice it will send the MIDI messages relating to the internal voices (and its associated effects and parameters) which are current for that channel.

Thus, your iPad will always receive MIDI program change messages whenever a different registration or voice part is selected, irrespective of whether it is for your custom voice or for the normal internal voices. Depending on how your iPad program works, if it receives program change messages for the normal internal voices, you may need to have some sort of program logic or MIDI filter to tell your iPad program to ignore all voice program change messages other than your custom voices to avoid getting unwanted voice sounds played from your iPad.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline Bill

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 10:48:12 AM »
Hi Stuart

Many thanks for letting me know, it certainly helps me to understand how things work.  In my case it would really easy to do what you are after simply be using the “No Assign” voice. Ie a voice selection with no assigned wave forms.

Regards

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline StuartR

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 04:51:56 PM »
Stuart

I think I undertsand what you are trying to do. It is not dissimilar to what I have described in the thread I started about using a PC as an external sound module (https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56973.msg444291.html#msg444291).

You need to remember that when you select a registration or a voice part it will always send out MIDI program change messages. If the registration/voice part contains your custom voice it will send the MIDI program change message for that on the appropriate channels. If the registration/voice part does not contain your custom voice it will send the MIDI messages relating to the internal voices (and its associated effects and parameters) which are current for that channel.

Thus, your iPad will always receive MIDI program change messages whenever a different registration or voice part is selected, irrespective of whether it is for your custom voice or for the normal internal voices. Depending on how your iPad program works, if it receives program change messages for the normal internal voices, you may need to have some sort of program logic or MIDI filter to tell your iPad program to ignore all voice program change messages other than your custom voices to avoid getting unwanted voice sounds played from your iPad.

Regards

Roy
Thanks Roy,

I see what's happening now. My confusion was that the program change messages for internal voices are only sent the first time you switch to a new registration. Repeated pressings of the same registration button don't trigger a program change again.

In my case at least the extraneous PC messages don't interfere with what I'm doing. I just noticed that my external module showed different patches when switching between registration entries. Since the right hand voices containing my external voices aren't enabled on these other entries, no harm is done.