Author Topic: Linking Music finder >Playlist to styles  (Read 6499 times)

Offline chesterkins

Linking Music finder >Playlist to styles
« on: December 24, 2021, 08:35:44 AM »
Hi Guys
Another problem I have with my new Genos is the use of the playlist
I successfully imported my Music Finder file as a playlist into the Genos
The problem I have now is linking the individual songs to the corresponding styles I was using in my Tyros 5
I have over 10000 styles in many folders so the songs are linked to any of these in the Tyros 5
I am having problems importing the styles into the Genos anyway

Any help please

Offline Rick D.

Re: Linking Music finder >Playlist to styles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 09:54:32 AM »
Chesterkins,

Playlists don't work like musicfinder, clicking on the song will not link the style.  The way I link a song to a style is wiith Registrations. Once you get used to doing it this way, you will see the advantages of it. The only thing to watch out for is once you link the song to a style do not move your styles to another folder or location, or it will break the link. It is best to organize all your styles in the USER section or on USB and then link the songs. If you use Songbook+ you can also link the registration to select the correct sheetmusic to pop up on your iPad.
I'm sure others will give you different methods.

Good Luck,

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: chesterkins

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 10:07:35 AM »
Hi Guys
Another problem I have with my new Genos is the use of the playlist
I successfully imported my Music Finder file as a playlist into the Genos
The problem I have now is linking the individual songs to the corresponding styles I was using in my Tyros 5
I have over 10000 styles in many folders so the songs are linked to any of these in the Tyros 5
I am having problems importing the styles into the Genos anyway

Any help please

You simply have to put your styles in the same place on the Genos as they were on your Tyros. We’re they on a USB drive, User drive, hard drive?

Wherever they were on the Tyros, that’s where they need to be on the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: chesterkins

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
Hi Fred  They were on the HDI on the T5    I have them now on a USB and I downloaded them as per advice via host to PC first
So I am ready to pass over to Genos to save
Can you walk me thru to ensure i save them in the right place so they also pick up the saved MFD files in the playlist
Thanks

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »
Hi Fred  They were on the HDI on the T5    I have them now on a USB and I downloaded them as per advice via host to PC first
So I am ready to pass over to Genos to save
Can you walk me thru to ensure i save them in the right place so they also pick up the saved MFD files in the playlist
Thanks

The hard drive on the Genos is the USB port underneath the keyboard. Insert your stick there, and your playlist will find the files there.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 04:16:35 PM »
Thanks Fred
Do i leave it in there or can I save it on to the hard drive from there?

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 04:30:18 PM »
Hi Fred
I put it in and it works fine
from a style perspective But does not link up the MFD Playlist
I put the MFD in yesterday  Should I delete and re import??

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 08:23:15 PM »
Hi Fred
I put it in and it works fine
from a style perspective But does not link up the MFD Playlist
I put the MFD in yesterday  Should I delete and re import??

OK. I don't think re-importing will help much.

Did you copy the entire Tyros hard drive exactly? Check the USB, and the Tyros hard drive to ensure the contents are the same. The USB has to be the same as the Tyros hard drive in order for the playlist to find your user styles.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

The following users thanked this post: fbarnes

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 08:28:48 PM »
Hi Fred
Yes I copied the T5 HDI exactly as it was via Host to PC then on to the USB
I formatted the USB on the genos before using it

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 08:44:01 PM »
Hi Fred
Yes I copied the T5 HDI exactly as it was via Host to PC then on to the USB
I formatted the USB on the genos before using it

OK. When you say "does not link up with the MFD", what do you mean?

When you load a registration, does it load the user style, or not?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 10:15:33 PM »
Hi Fred
No it doesnt   I even tried loading up the USB on to the hard disk and its made it worse If i touch registration it goes of checking for 5 mins and still does not load the corresponding style it should
Maybe I should start again ??????

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
Fred  When I chose a song from the playlist and press load it does not load the correct style BUT if I go into info it shows the correct style so there is a linkage Am i loading it incorrectly I understand it has something to do with registrations  ??

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 11:18:12 PM »
Fred  When I chose a song from the playlist and press load it does not load the correct style BUT if I go into info it shows the correct style so there is a linkage Am i loading it incorrectly I understand it has something to do with registrations  ??

First, there's no such thing as a hard drive on a Genos. What you're likely talking about is the User drive.

Second, when you import an MFD, the Genos creates a registration for each entry in the MFD, then a Playlist of all the registrations.

To use a playlist, you tap on an entry (tap once if you're tapping the check mark, twice otherwise). That loads the registration file. Then you have to load the registration button you want -- typically R1. At this point, you should see that the user style has been loaded.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline RONBO

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 12:53:43 AM »
Hi Fred
No it doesnt   I even tried loading up the USB on to the hard disk and its made it worse If i touch registration it goes of checking for 5 mins and still does not load the corresponding style it should
Maybe I should start again ??????

If those registrations take too long to load it's because the file is very large

You will have to make sub folders that contain no more than 500 files.

e.g. A-D. E-K,.......etc.

Sounds confusing, I know, but it will make sense

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 09:15:33 AM »
Hi Guys
I see this idea of breaking up the MF/Playlist into smaller chucks seems to be the way to go
I have ca 2300 entries in my old MF
How would I physically make this breakdown?
On the Genos  ?
What would be the steps?

Offline RONBO

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
Hello.

Its easier on the computer
Hook up via Usb to Host cable
Then open up the Genos drive on computer
Then open registrations file

Then make a new folder(s) calling them by name such as A-G, H-M,.....etc.

As you do  this your registrations are instantly updated on the genos.

This may take a bit of time to catch on but it will come to you

Best regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »
Hi Guys
I see this idea of breaking up the MF/Playlist into smaller chucks seems to be the way to go
I have ca 2300 entries in my old MF
How would I physically make this breakdown?
On the Genos  ?
What would be the steps?

The registrations are easy to move, as Ron has said. I would set up 26 subfolders (A-Z).

However, when you move registrations, the playlist can’t find them, so will have to be recreated. Either manually, or on a computer. Playlists are .tsv files, so can easily be modified in a spreadsheet program like Excel or Google Sheets.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
Guys
I have tried breaking down the registration lnumbers BUT the Genos refuses to look for styles other than preset  I  have the Tyros HD file on USB 1 and open in the User section so cannot understand why it will not seach where the old MFD now playlist registrations files are located
In fact if you read the info on the rgt it says the correct style!!

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 11:14:44 AM »
Have you converted the MF to playlist on Genos. You then have to press Playlist button to access it. If it dose not pick up the style then just find it and resave to the registration bank and then re save to Playlist.
 As you know Genos dose not have a hard drive but dose have a 58Gb user section.
This is where I loaded the content of my Tyros5 I also have a 64Gb USB stick in the underside compartment which is a copy of what is on my user. As I add new content I remove the USB and back it up to my computer so that if anything goes wrong I have a copy to fall back on.

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 11:57:19 AM »
Yes I have the T5 data in both the User section and in the USB file  I have loaded the Tyros MFD on to a USB put it into USB 2 I downloaded the contents with playlist instructions and it shows the results in the playlist section
BUT as soon as I chose a song in the playlist and it lights up green    Nothing   try another song yes but it chooses a style in the preset section Not from the Styles I have in both the USER and USB1

Offline RONBO

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2021, 02:32:45 PM »
Yes I have the T5 data in both the User section and in the USB file  I have loaded the Tyros MFD on to a USB put it into USB 2 I downloaded the contents with playlist instructions and it shows the results in the playlist section
BUT as soon as I chose a song in the playlist and it lights up green    Nothing   try another song yes but it chooses a style in the preset section Not from the Styles I have in both the USER and USB1

Hello,

You state that the playlist selects from the preset styles.

I'm going to ask what could be a dumb question. Did some of your songs in MF contain any custom styles that perhaps come from expansion packs? Or other places?

Just asking.

regards

Ron

Proud Genos2 owner

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »
Yes this is the problem because everything has moved it now will need relinking to the style and saving into the playlist registration bank and then re saved to playlist. It will then work as long as the styles remain in the same place you link them from.

Offline Bill

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2021, 04:06:34 PM »
Hi Chesterkins

You have received some very good replies so far, however some are not really in the context that you are  talking about.

Hence - you need to understand the basic principles of how these things actually work. This is how I do it is not always the way to go.

A MFD is a simple list of Song Titles that you create. Each entry links a Style and a set tempo.

The conversion process used to create a Playlist from a MFD File is also very simple. 
  It takes the Song Title and adds it to the new Playlist.
  Since the playlist does not work directly with "Styles" it creates a basic Registration (1 Button only)
  This Registration holds the location of the style that was used in the Music Finder.

Since you have copied the contents of your Tyros HD to both the User Drive And the USB Stick the styles will not be found unless they are Presets ( Not priests) The reason for this is that the Filing structure (locations have changed)

You must also understand that there is no benefit in putting the Tyros HD on both the User Drive and the USB stick. The reason for this is that you will have to rest the file paths in the Registration But the process is completely different for the User Drive compared to the USB.  Stick to one or the other.

The reason why the process is different is that the User Area has a predefined and set structure.  Ie  Registration can only be put in the "Regist" folder and Style can only be put in the "Styles" Folder.  You cannot mix and match as you choose.

You must decide how you want to proceed - Either User or USB.

Then use Murray Best's Registration Manager to reassign the file paths to make things work.  Murray's program is a very useful Multitasking program, with many features not always apparent at first sight.  Read his simple manual before starting.

I would suggest you use the User Drive, but don’t rush into it. Consider what filing method is best for YOU, others do not matter.  Some prefer the alphabet method, some prefer Genre, other may prefer a song book collection method.  However do not simply copy as much as you can over, we all have styles etc that we will never use. Don’t be tempted to follow the quick fix solution. Keep it simple and stick to it at all times in the future.

Regards

Bill
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:59:20 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline RONBO

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2021, 05:00:04 PM »
Good reply, Bill

here's what you said along the way

"And the USB Stick the styles will not be found unless they are priests."

I believe you meant  PRESETS

Hopefully, this was a typo error

regards

Ron

Proud Genos2 owner

Offline Bill

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 05:18:39 PM »
Good reply, Bill

here's what you said along the way

"And the USB Stick the styles will not be found unless they are priests."

I believe you meant  PRESETS

Hopefully, this was a typo error

regards

Ron

Thanks - dreaded auto spell checker.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 05:20:23 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline chesterkins

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 05:29:28 PM »
Hi Guys
The answer is yes a lot of the songs in the MFD are linked to custom of external flies and all these were in folders on my T5 hard drive
On my USB drive is the copy of my Tyros HDI drive all in one folder   On my user dive is the same folder but opened up to show all the various folders as it was seen on my T5
I think i could do with a Priest to help me right now!!!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 12:19:51 AM »
Hi Guys
The answer is yes a lot of the songs in the MFD are linked to custom of external flies and all these were in folders on my T5 hard drive
On my USB drive is the copy of my Tyros HDI drive all in one folder   On my user dive is the same folder but opened up to show all the various folders as it was seen on my T5
I think i could do with a Priest to help me right now!!!

As Bill stated, you got a lot of good advice, but you need to follow it.

If you want to use the registrations created by importing the MFD, there's no use putting the styles on the User drive, and the registrations will not look for them there.

There's also no use putting the Tyros HD1 drive "all in one folder". In a previous post, I told you you had to copy the drive exactly as it was, including the folder structure, and you promised me you had done it. But if it wasn't done, you need to go back and do it.

Either that, or manually re-memorize the registrations which use custom styles.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ