Author Topic: Extension USB cable  (Read 4439 times)

Divemaster

Extension USB cable
« on: December 19, 2021, 10:59:29 AM »
I searched for this subject and came up with a very long post on P24 of this section, but it hasn't been revisited for a long time, and some newer owners of the SX series may find the information useful.

Having owned many keyboards, some with USB ports at the front, (preferable) and some at the back (as on the SX series), you may well have come across the Yamaha instruction not to use extension leads in the USB port/s.

But many of us do, and never have any issues. So what's the problem? Why do we do it?

The reason is quite simple. The sockets are at the back and difficult to reach. Unless you can plug in your pen drive cleanly, you risk scratches, poor connection issues and maybe even shorting the socket and data loss.  You need to crane your neck round the keyboard to even see the USB, it's really not in an ideal place. More often that not you'll need to remove the music rest and music, pencils etc to get to it. That in itself is a real pain if you're say composing with sheet music.

Damaging a USB port is VERY expensive to get repaired. That's IF you can even get anyone to do the repair in the first place. I've had it happen once. The socket on my old Tyros just 'gave up working' one day. Quotes to repair it were just plain crazy, half the cost of the keyboard....and in the end I simply never used it again, fitted a hard drive and occasionally updated that direct from the pc using a simple readily availabe 2.5" IDE hard drive to USB cable.

I now use a high quality 8 inch USB male to female USB connector. This stays in the keyboard at all times, and is easily accessible from the side of the music rest. I can swap out USB pen drives very simply with no risk to the keyboard itself. A good well made cable.

I think the issue Yamaha are probably warning about is that if you use a LONGER cable, then obviously the risks of catching it on something, or tripping on it, or anything like that will, in all probability yank the socket with possibly expensive results to the keyboard USB.

So my own view is quite simple. I will continue to use my short cable. It's cable tied to my music rest on the keyboard, it's physically impossible to catch it on anything, but above all, it means that I am not wearing out the original instrument socket by constantly changing out pen drives.

The choice must be yours, but I have yet to have any issues with using a SHORT cable as described.

Might help some of you.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline JohnS

Re: Extension USB cable
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »
I use a 1 metre USB extension both front and back.
No problems.
I have a Tyros5/76 & Tyros4 SE XL.
My keyboard holds every song ever written. I just have to find them.

The following users thanked this post: Pityus

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 02:17:52 PM »
I also use it! Very convenient!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Pityus

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 02:37:59 PM »
Never has a problem with using one. Also use a little two inch one on fround p[ort of my Genos.  Save wear and Tear on the socket.

bobn1944

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 08:28:26 PM »
Me too
No problem

Offline TiasDad

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 11:59:22 PM »
@Tiasdad - how does the keyboard interpret two USBs going in to a split cable?  Are they USB1 and USB2?  Then if you have something in the second socket on the keyboard is that USB3?  Thanks

Offline johan

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
With a usb split cable, you only have one data usb connection (= the orginal one), the other one is only for power supply.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline meyrick

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 05:38:25 AM »
Hi.
I use a powered USB 3 with my SX900. With four switchable sockets I don't have to bother with fiddling at the back of the keyboard.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sjn2048

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
I’ve installed a Targus powered 7 port USB2 Hub on my friends PSR Sx900 and it recognises two USB pens at the same time as USB1 and USB2 without any problems. Haven’t tried it with more than two pens. No need to switch between them on the hub.

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 03:31:33 PM »
@Tiasdad - how does the keyboard interpret two USBs going in to a split cable?  Are they USB1 and USB2?  Then if you have something in the second socket on the keyboard is that USB3?  Thanks

Tbh, I've never really looked properly. The two thumb drives show up as USB1 and USB2 and I don't think the midi controller is recognised as a drive, It just uses the power supply. I have tried it with one drive in the extension with the controller and the other drive in the USB2 socket and it makes no difference but it's easier having access to both drives via the extension ;)

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 05:12:56 PM »
I've always used an extension cable with a 4-port USB HUB with switches on it. That way I can turn either pen drive on or both at the same time.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

BOAC

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 02:17:26 AM »
I use these, never had a problem and you can stick them to the top surface or their own weight will hold them anyway.
https://www.startech.com/en-gb/cables/usbextaa5dsk
Cheers

Offline pjd

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 06:07:31 PM »
Having owned many keyboards, some with USB ports at the front, (preferable) and some at the back (as on the SX series), you may well have come across the Yamaha instruction not to use extension leads in the USB port/s.

But many of us do, and never have any issues. So what's the problem? Why do we do it?

Yamaha has some of the most conservative hardware engineers (and lawyers) on Planet Earth.  :)

There are for-real limits on USB cable length: USB 2.0 is 5M, USB3.0 is 3M.

Most of us use extension cables which are much shorter and have no problems. I like 12" extenders and I use them with musical instrument keyboards and personal computers.

Why? I got burned by the absolutely lousy USB port design in an Apple Macbook Air. They wanted to replace -- and charge me for -- the main logic board to the tune of $600USD. As a retired engineer, I stood my ground as to the cheap-o design that was a failure waiting to happen. That experience plus overheating problems, and I won't touch another Apple Macbook Air ever.

I also try to reduce wear and tear on the USB connector itself. This is especially important on my PC as I do a lot of insertion and removal during the course of a day. Eventually, the connector traces will fail...

Stuff just wears out. I'm 69 and worn out.  :)

-- pj

Offline Joe H

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2021, 06:18:32 PM »
...  Stuff just wears out. I'm 69 and worn out.  :)

-- pj

Just wait another 5 or 6 years!

:D   ;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline dlepera

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 07:44:32 PM »
Just saw this post and let me add what works well for me.  I have Atolla(from Amazon) with an AC adaptor and 4 USB ports that you can turn off and on at will.  My sx700 does in fact recognize all four USBs when they are all turned at once, accesses them and I can manipulate files with no problem.  In fact initially to prove it I put a file with the same name on all my USBs. Turned the ports all on at once, the keyboard recognized & displayed them(usb1,usb2,usb3,usb4) in addition to the resident USER memory.

This eliminates and wear and tear concerns that one may have on the keyboard port(s).

Great for keeping things organized, moving things from one USB stick to another without the use of my computer, but have to caution that you need to be careful where you save to ensure that everything for a registration bank for example is on the usb that you are saving it on(sytles, voices, pads) from what I have read when trying organize on one USB and moving files around.

I have not tried it yet as I just got this though, but, since the search can identify all the files I am looking for and they all play well from any location(as I flip from one usb to the other), I am wondering if the keyboard is smart enough to search for sytles for example located on the originating usb stick folder when the Bank was saved, then I move that folder in it's entirety leaving the Bank file on USB1???  Everything that I have read states that all the BANK components must reside on the Root USB(in the ""original folder"" location).  Have not seen anything that states that the FOLDER has to be in the root of the same USB.

Will try this as I find time and get 4 different USBs so that I don't accidently mess up my live ones just in case.  Unless someone has an answer to this already. 

dom
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 08:44:33 PM »
Hi Dom,

Note that the order of the USB sticks (USB 1, 2, 3, 4) can change randomly if more than one stick is connected when the keyboard is started or if a USB hub with several active sticks is connected.

Basically it doesn't matter where a Registration Bank file is saved or from where it is called up. It is only important that the files linked in the registrations (e.g. User Styles, User Multi Pads, MIDI files) are not moved or renamed afterwards. Of course, this also applies to the folders that contain such files. Since the absolute path to the linked files is saved in the registrations (including the internal drive letter), it is important that the USB stick in question is always addressed with the same drive letter.

USB #  =  Internal drive letter
USB 1  =  I:
USB 2  =  J:
USB 3  =  K:
USB 4  =  L:

It is easiest if only one USB stick is connected. This is then always automatically USB 1 (= drive letter I: ). If several sticks are connected, I recommend that you make sure that the "main stick" is addressed as USB 1. The best thing to do is to copy all the files required for registrations to this "main stick" and then reload them from there before using them in registrations.

P.S.
In certain cases, the GENOS searches for required files on all connected USB drives, regardless of which drive letter they are currently being addressed with. I don't know how the SX models behave in this regard. However, it is best to bypass the whole thing from the start by making sure, as I said, that only files that are on USB 1 / drive letter I: are used in registrations.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: frankmusik, dlepera

Offline dlepera

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 08:53:05 PM »
Good information and advice.  Well noted... Thank you Chris.

dom
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 12:31:01 AM »
What is the advantage of using sticks instead of saving to the User drive?   Is it simply space - when you have lots of registrations you run out of space in the User drive?   This is my first arranger and I haven't had it that long, so I'm not feeling a space crunch (yet).   Thanks

Offline jtrue

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 01:07:41 AM »
To me there are two major convenience benefits:  By storing all performance-related files on a USB stick the entire product of many hours of preparation can be backed up quickly, easily and cheaply to several other sticks via a PC.  Secondarily, if unable to use my own instrument I can bring all my prepared material to another instrument in moments on an easily transported medium.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 01:09:26 AM »
Hi, jcm!

Today, it's mostly moot. It does have a few advantages: portability, ease of back-up, possibility to have different sticks tailored to different situations, like already mentioned by jtrue.

But in previous models, the user space was very restricted! I now have a PSR-SX900, with its 4GB user drive. But my previous keyboard was a PSR-S750, and the user drive had 1.9 MB (Mega bytes!) That's definitely not a lot! Therefore, you needed to have an external stick to hold anything useful. In my case, the only thing I had in the user drive was a basic Registration to reset the keyboard to known settings. This accustomed many of us to use almost exclusively sticks for our content.

Today, unless you are recording in audio format (WAV), the user drive should be more than enough for most uses. If you need to record audio, you should at least consider using an external stick, because the files get big very fast.

Regards!

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the explanation

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 01:37:48 PM »
I prefer using a usb stick as I also do a fair bit of editing of styles in external programs.
I find it so much easier moving the usb stick to the pc for this and then back again once complete ;)

Digital Gee

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
Fairly new member here - this might be my first post! I just had to say I was soooo excited to get this tip of using an extender. I'd been saying to my better half the only fault I've found so far in a couple of weeks of using the SX900 was how they designed the USB port in the BACK of the instrument. Made no sense to me.

Never occurred to me to use an extender. Then I saw this thread and voila! Ordered one two nights ago, and Amazon brought it today.

Genius! Pure genius!

Gary

The following users thanked this post: nibroc98

Offline overover

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:18 AM »
Fairly new member here - this might be my first post! ...

Gary

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Gary!

I wish you lots of fun and joy with your new PSR-SX900!

Best regards.
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)