Author Topic: DGX670 PlayList What Style Used ?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Graham UK

DGX670 PlayList What Style Used ?
« on: December 16, 2021, 11:25:23 AM »
Re: DGX670 PlayList. Is it possible to see what style is used in each RGT without first loading each one on the DGX ?
Possibly PC software ?.
DGX670

Offline johan

Re: DGX670 PlayList What Style Used ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »
Not sure with the DGX670 but as far as I know, internal styles in registrations are always referred to as numbers so not possible to check them on pc. If external styles are used, you can search in the registration file for the string "/styles" (at least this works with SX700 registrations). For other keyboard, you can also use Murray's Registration Manager to display the used style (internal and external) but the DGX670 is not supported by this program.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline frozzers

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 04:38:16 PM »
YRM will load individual DGX-670 registrations but you can't do anything with them.

After loading a registration, you can see what style is being used by selecting Button 1 and then clicking on the 'Edit Registrations' button.

A bit tedious but possibly marginally quicker that loading them up one at a time on the keyboard.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 07:11:19 PM »
frozzers. Your Reply Appreciated. (Chris (overover) has also been very helpful).
I have always wanted learn each keyboards OS, but this DGX is trying my patience.
Only second week with DGX670 so I'm going through that frustration period trying to come to terms with a menu that is completely different from the Yamaha normal
Overall I do like it's keybed and sounds of it's voicings.
A pity we can't change Style OTS and Save As User Style, instead having to Save in RGT's.

I've Owned an arranger for past 50 years, but I wanted to have a change and try more piano base playing.
Many styles over busy so I mute a number of style parts.
DGX Simple Button is a good option.

I see it as Good value for money.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 10:01:59 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »
Hi Graham,

With the YRM program (Yamaha Registration Manager) it should be possible to create a list ("report") of all DGX-670 playlist Registrations and the Styles used in them (in Batch mode). I had already successfully practiced this for other models. I will briefly test what has been described and then come back here. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 07:33:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Bill

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 07:29:30 PM »
YRM will load individual DGX-670 registrations but you can't do anything with them.

After loading a registration, you can see what style is being used by selecting Button 1 and then clicking on the 'Edit Registrations' button.

A bit tedious but possibly marginally quicker that loading them up one at a time on the keyboard.

Cheers

Chris

With the Reg Manager you do not need to load each registration individually, you can get the program to create a "Report" showing all the Styles used in a series of Registration within a complete folder.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline frozzers

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »
No I tried Reports and what happens is you get a message 'Structure of Unknown Keyboard files maybe different' for each registration it encounters.

So, if you have eg 20 registrations, you have to press 'OK' 20 times and then you get a blank report.

Cheers

Chris

Offline frozzers

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »
frozzers. Your Reply Appreciated. (Chris has also been very helpful).
I have always wanted learn each keyboards OS, but this DGX is trying my patience.
Only second week with DGX670 so I'm going through that frustration period trying to come to terms with a menu that is completely different from the Yamaha normal
Overall I do like it's keybed and sounds of it's voicings.
A pity we can't change Style OTS and Save As User Style, instead having to Save in RGT's.

I see it as Good value for money.

I have a Genos and previously had 2 Tyros and I agree that the OS is different.

But I bought this keyboard for one main reason - I wanted to learn to play the piano and the Genos for me just wasn't good enough for that. The DGX-670 has superb piano voicings with weighted keys and is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at many digital piano reviews before I settled on the DGX-670. I nearly went for the P515 but what swayed me was the DGX-670's arranger options. I thought that once I'd got to grips with piano playing, I'd be able to take advantage of the arranger functions.

I have to say that, since starting playing it and learning to play the piano with a brilliant software learning program, I've not felt the need to use the DGX-670 as an arranger. No doubt, some time in the future, I will. However, from what I've seen so far, I don't see it as a replacement arranger. So I won't be getting rid of my Genos any time soon.

This is definitely a piano first and foremost. The exciting thing for me is there will be a lot more to explore over time.

Cheers

Chris

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 02:43:04 AM »
I have a Genos and previously had 2 Tyros and I agree that the OS is different.

But I bought this keyboard for one main reason - I wanted to learn to play the piano and the Genos for me just wasn't good enough for that. The DGX-670 has superb piano voicings with weighted keys and is exactly what I was looking for. I looked at many digital piano reviews before I settled on the DGX-670. I nearly went for the P515 but what swayed me was the DGX-670's arranger options. I thought that once I'd got to grips with piano playing, I'd be able to take advantage of the arranger functions.

I have to say that, since starting playing it and learning to play the piano with a brilliant software learning program, I've not felt the need to use the DGX-670 as an arranger. No doubt, some time in the future, I will. However, from what I've seen so far, I don't see it as a replacement arranger. So I won't be getting rid of my Genos any time soon.

This is definitely a piano first and foremost. The exciting thing for me is there will be a lot more to explore over time.

Cheers

Chris

Chris your reply could have been written by me. I have a Genos and also purchased the DGX670 primarily to keep my piano technique alive. I have a weekly piano gig and working on piano solo on the Genos just doesn't cut it.  I also looked at other models of Yamaha and Roland but many were out of stock and not available until sometime in early 2022.  I was able to find a DGX670 and it was a great choice.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline frozzers

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 11:00:13 AM »
I think Yamaha's target audience for this keyboard is the digital piano player market. There seems to be a lot more competition in the digital piano world than in the arranger world where Yamaha it could be argued have cornered the market. So they've tried to make this one stand out from the competition.

All the reviews/videos focus a lot on the arranger options. I think it was Graham who recently posted a link to a YouTube video where the Yamaha demonstrator shows off some of the arranger functions of the DGX-670. The interviewer, who clearly can't have seen a Genos or PSR-SX series keyboard in action before, sits spellbound and is completely in awe of what the DGX-670 can do outside of offering good piano playability.

I doubt that Yamaha see the DGX-670 as another arranger keyboard that might encroach on the arranger target audience. If I wasn't keen to learn to play the piano, I wouldn't have bought it. But I am keen and so glad I did!

Cheers

Chris