Author Topic: Norton Antivirus vs. this site  (Read 2517 times)

Norton Antivirus vs. this site
« on: December 14, 2021, 09:49:27 PM »
Hi all,

I was re-verifying some of my Google bookmarks and noticed that this site was flagged by Norton as being potentially dangerous. I immediately contacted Norton and described this site as being a dedicated forum about Yamaha keyboard products and that the users are a mix of home players and professional players. They just wrote back about their changed rating. I'm impressed at how fast they jumped on this. It was only about 7 hours. Here is their reply.

Dear Customer,
This is an important message from Norton Safe Web. We have recently re-evaluated the contents of https://psrtutorial.com/.
The website rating is successfully changed.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else sees an orange warning about this site. You should now see a green label in the Google returns.

Roger or Joe, please feel free to do what you will with this post. I sort of panicked when I saw the orange flag and didn't want others to do the same. All's well now so, at your discretion...remove the post, move it, flag it as closed...you know where this is going ;).

Thanks...Lee

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: pjd, Roger Brenizer

Offline RONBO

Re: Norton Antivirus vs. this site
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 10:07:29 PM »
Great job, Lee.

Thanks for putting in the effort to help keep this forum's reputation intact

Regards,

and have a safe and very merry Christmas.

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 10:10:45 PM »
Hi all,

I was re-verifying some of my Google bookmarks and noticed that this site was flagged by Norton as being potentially dangerous. I immediately contacted Norton and described this site as being a dedicated forum about Yamaha keyboard products and that the users are a mix of home players and professional players. They just wrote back about their changed rating. I'm impressed at how fast they jumped on this. It was only about 7 hours. Here is their reply.

Dear Customer,
This is an important message from Norton Safe Web. We have recently re-evaluated the contents of https://psrtutorial.com/.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else sees an orange warning about this site. You should now see a green label in the Google returns.

Roger or Joe, please feel free to do what you will with this post. I sort of panicked when I saw the orange flag and didn't want others to do the same. All's well now so, at your discretion...remove the post, move it, flag it as closed...you know where this is going ;).

Thanks...Lee

Hi Lee,

Thank you for your attention to detail, as always.

This has been an issue for years with Norton.  Previous contacts with Norton only provided temporary fixes and eventually our website was flagged again as potentially dangerous.  Hopefully this will resolve the problem permanently.

If anyone continues to receive this warning, you should clear your DNS cache, which should resolve the issue if Norton has permanently changed our website rating.

I'll leave your post intact, which should be helpful to our members.

Thanks again, Lee.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up, Roger. I had no idea Norton was giving us a dangerous rating. I discovered it by accident and thought they should be told. Hopefully, we'll stay on their "good list" :).

Stay well and safe...Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 10:33:34 PM »
Hi all,

Dear Customer,

Thanks...Lee

Hi Lee

I have Norton 360 deluxe which i can now get for £20 best price 5 devices and i do not use safe web or the other add ons.
I do not use password manager either as if that got hack like it did with Firefox once, you end up having to change all of your passwords.

I use just the Norton Anti- virus.
Make sure that windows defender is off. do not worry about orange warnings about this and that not safe . It is best to use your own judgement.
I had programs that Norton erased with a warning ( eg Midisoft Yamaha programs) and that makes me mad. It is because a site or a program does not get millions of hits, so it deems it unsafe.

I use CC Cleaner to get rid of junk at each end of the day
I also us Malwarebytes free to pick up what Norton misses. Mainly not so harmful pup advetisement junk.
My system works a treat on my Internet main computer and also my music computer.
When working on music i switch Norton off and also the internet.
watch out for phone scams as there are millions about at this time. I am not on the suckers list!! ;D :P

Have a great Christmas to you and all the family. 

All the best
John :)      ps, On my main internet computer, six years old and only a Two core I3, i use AVG Tune up and if your internet computer gets really slow and you max out 100% on computer processing which hangs there , AVG tune up sorts that out and you are back fast again.
I rarely use it on my fast  Music machine as it is an I7, 32gig ram and that now is four years old and runs a dream on Windows 11.

I have learnt a lot from Pentium 4 day's!! ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 10:43:48 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 02:08:47 PM »
Great info as usual, John.

I follow pretty much the same philosophies as you. When you install Norton 360, if you have Malware Bytes installed it will uninstall it and take over the Windows Defender settings. To be fair, I understand that having several antivirus programs running that do essentially the same thing, is not good.

I've never used any optimization programs since all my drives are now SSD. You don't defrag them. I suppose it's prudent to eliminate junk files regardless of what type of drive you use.

You folks across the pond have a great Christmas too. Don't spend too much money on me ;D!

tyrosman

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 05:36:35 PM »
better off with windows own anti Viris protection

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
better off with windows own anti Viris protection
Hmmm...after using a lot of MS products, I have doubts about that. I'd love to see the data. I have to pay for Norton 360. If Windows Antivirus is free and proven as good, I'd go for it :).

Offline dlepera

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 01:26:28 AM »
Hello Lee.  Let me give you my experience with Norton which I have had for over 10 yours now and have both new and old computers with different version of windows.  I have the Norton Premium 360 for 10 devices. I used to use it on my cell phones some years back but now with the better security on the phone I don't really need to protect them(androids using Knox).  I used to use free software, even the one that came from my internet provided and as good as as I thought they were, I had some viruses sneak in. Hence why I turned to Norton and never have had issues again. It checks everything I open, downloads and it has stopped/blocked potential risks. Mine takes no corrective action without me giving confirmation, so I have never lost anything(programs, files, etc) .

My subscription is now $59cnd and well worth it. I also like the optimization which runs in background and YES it does optimize my SSD disk as well.  The free utility capability addresses file cleanup, internet cookies, temp files, and junk files. I never had a registry issue so not sure if it would address that.

In addition you get free VPN. To buy VPN you will be paying $80++++. I use it on one laptop to get me services from different parts of the world and one good thing to is that you can subscribe to Netflicks  USA and get their content rather than our limited Canadian content.

Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for.  Free has limitations while Paid has to provide what they sell.  Anyway, my two cents if interested. 

Note: to your initial point and the reason why you may have opened this  post.....Norton stepped in when accessing this site.  Well I have been a member here since late last year and NEVER seen any messages indicating that this site may have been a risk. My access has always been seemless.  So not sure why it triggered it on your attempt.
                                              Hope this helps.        Happy New Year.
    dom

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:48:11 AM by dlepera »
Life is a learning experience and sharing it is it's biggest reward!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 01:39:04 PM »
Hi Dom,

Great thoughts. I fully agree. I have Norton 360 Deluxe. It has a few less options but I can share it with 5 devices. I've read several reviews of antivirus software. Windows Defender is an excellent starting point but it lets a lot of things through and doesn't have nearly the overall features needed to protect us from the bone heads of the world.

When I opened this post, Norton was not showing a large warning screen, but rather a little orange circle with a white exclamation mark beside this site's listing in the Google returns. When I clicked on the orange circle, a new page opened, which read,

Web sites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.

I have no idea what made Norton flag this site but it did. I reported it to Norton and they must have done an internal scan and found that their algorithm overreacted or was just having a bad day ;D. They have since corrected the rating.