Author Topic: 6 or 24 intro permutations per style?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline jcm2016

6 or 24 intro permutations per style?
« on: December 12, 2021, 10:50:27 PM »
I believe there are really 6 introductions for each style.  There are three buttons, and then they do something different if the first chord is major or minor.  At one point I thought there were more permutations - for example, I thought if I had main variation A selected, then used intro I with a major chord, it was different to having main variation B selected, and then also using intro I with a major chord.   But then I couldn't replicate it, so I think was mistaken.  Put another way, I now think that intro I with a major chord will be exactly the same, regardless of which main variation has been selected.  Is my current thinking correct?  Thanks in advance.

Offline mikf

Re: 6 or 24 intro permutations per style?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 11:55:40 PM »
Yes, It is the same.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 01:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
Hi jcm2016,

Which pattern is played in an Intro does not depend on which Main Variation has been selected before. But each of the 15 style sections (Intro 1-3, Main Variation A-D, Fill-in A-D, Break, Ending 1-3) can be programmed to play different patterns depending on the chord being played.

This assignment is defined in the so-called CASM data (control data) of the style. There it could be specified, for example, that the bass pattern of MIDI channel 11 (of the style) is played for a major chord, but the pattern of channel 3 for a minor chord (for the current style section).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:50:23 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »
Chris - thanks for the response.  Is it correct to say that the programming would create a new style, and not change the existing one?   Is it like adjusting a voice, where that becomes a new voice?   I've played with that on voices, but not yet ventured into style creation.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
Chris - thanks for the response.  Is it correct to say that the programming would create a new style, and not change the existing one?   Is it like adjusting a voice, where that becomes a new voice?   I've played with that on voices, but not yet ventured into style creation.

Hi jcm2016,

Preset content, e.g. Preset Styles, Voices, Multi Pads, cannot be overwritten. Edited versions must therefore be saved in the User drive or on a USB stick. If you edit an existing User Style, it would of course be overwritten if you save an edited version with the same name in the same location. It is generally recommended to always choose a new/changed and meaningful file name when saving.

Please note that not all Style parameters are accessible in the Style Creator directly on the keyboard. For example, you can only work with MIDI channels 9 - 16, but not with channels 1 - 8. With suitable computer programs such as "MixMaster" or "StyleMagic YA" you can make deeper edits. To do this, however, you should first acquire a certain knowledge of MIDI and style programming.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »
Chris - thank you - it's a whole world that I haven't delved into yet!

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 04:39:32 PM »
Hi
Check pyt my Style Creation Course starting at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/style_1.htm
Regards
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999