Author Topic: DGX670 surprising in a positive way  (Read 4442 times)

Offline stephenm52

DGX670 surprising in a positive way
« on: December 10, 2021, 09:07:57 PM »
I've had the DGX670 for a week and I am happy with it.  Originally I was not interested in it because for a period of  over two years when I was playing piano in the lobby of the Cancer Center of Florida they had an old DGX or maybe it was a YPG525 I don't remember the model number. The action was not very good and I rarely used the styles because this was a piano solo gig.

Fast forward to the DGX670...........wow a huge difference and I'm glad I purchased it.  I primarily purchased it for it's piano features and as a piano I'm very satisfied with it.  Long story but I had my eyes on the Roland RD88 which is a great portable piano but due to circumstances beyond my control I opted for the DGX670.   I'll most likely not gig with it as an arranger but it is nice to have that ability.  If I do a piano solo gig with it and want to break things up a bit I could use the pianist styles that are on board.   As a side note I tried a few styles from my library of Christmas styles and also styles from Tyro3 and all played very well.  Dollar for dollar there's a lot of value in this keyboard.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, harold2

Offline harold2

Re: DGX670 surprising in a positive way
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 10:10:55 PM »
Steve...I've had mine for 3-4 days now. When I first opened the box My first thaught was It's Huge and heavy! After I played it with
 headphones I love it. Alot for the Money. This keyboard will only be played at home by my Wife and Myself. I will be ordering the stand
  and pedal unit soon. The keyboard action fits Me just fine. Do You still have the Korg PX?   Harold

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 10:28:23 PM »
I took delivery of a DGX670 few days ago, being an arranger player for many years, DGX is a new experience for me and I'm expecting some frustrations because the OS is different from the normal way of doing things on Yamaha keyboards.
This is my first 88 note weighted keyboard and the quality feel and response of the keybed is excellent and overall gives the impression of being very well built.The style OTS's have been very well balanced. The colour screen's definition is very clear but smaller than it could have been.
This beast is heavy so it won't be moving any time soon.
I would have liked a white one but they have not yet been available, Yamaha UK have no stock at the present time December 21.
Excellent value at £799 UK.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 10:29:30 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 02:05:00 AM »
Steve...I've had mine for 3-4 days now. When I first opened the box My first thaught was It's Huge and heavy! After I played it with
 headphones I love it. Alot for the Money. This keyboard will only be played at home by my Wife and Myself. I will be ordering the stand
  and pedal unit soon. The keyboard action fits Me just fine. Do You still have the Korg PX?   Harold

Harold Congrats on your DGX670, enjoy it.   Yes I still have the Korg PA4x, it's in my seasonal home now and I leave it there for gigs I play when in that area.

I didn't order the stand but am using a Roland Z style stand. Altough it's heavy I could transport it for a piano solo gig.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 02:09:22 AM »
I took delivery of a DGX670 few days ago, being an arranger player for many years, DGX is a new experience for me and I'm expecting some frustrations because the OS is different from the normal way of doing things on Yamaha keyboards.
This is my first 88 note weighted keyboard and the quality feel and response of the keybed is excellent and overall gives the impression of being very well built.The style OTS's have been very well balanced. The colour screen's definition is very clear but smaller than it could have been.
This beast is heavy so it won't be moving any time soon.
I would have liked a white one but they have not yet been available, Yamaha UK have no stock at the present time December 21.
Excellent value at £799 UK.

Graham, Congrats to you.   I agree this DGX does things a little differently than other Yamaha arrangers, it will take a little bit of time but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline PSRPETE

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 05:22:56 AM »
I bought a DGX-670W and just the other day it arrived.  I got it because I wanted a weighted action keybed and I am really loving it.  The CFX grand piano voice is gorgeous.  I wish Yamaha had installed more powerful amplified speakers, (I may modify it later on), but it’s not a dealbreaker.  The styles are great too.  I am not a pianist, but the key action suits me better than synth action keys.  This would be near perfect if the keys were textured and/or matte finish.  Overall,  I'd initially give it an 8.5 out of 10.
Pete
Pete

Gear:  🎹:  Yamaha DGX-670W, PSR 8000, PSR 730, PSR 530; Arturia Keylab Essential 88; Casio MZX500, WK 500; Technics SX KN6500. DAW’s:  GarageBand, Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Gibson Epiphone 🎸 &  an alto 🎷.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
Having only just started my piano playing journey, I can also say that I was surprised by the quality of the sound and accompaniments of the DGX 670.  I have only just taken delivery on mine but compared to the borrowed DGX 650 I was using up until now, the sounds are far more realistic to my ears.  I also find navigating the interface much easier and selecting options more logical - especially when layering sounds.

It is a heavy old beast though - especially with the optional stand and pedals.  As a matter of interest to others buying one in the future, I found it easier (given that my wife cannot help lifting the keyboard), to lay it on it's rear edge on a couple of pillows when attaching the stand which has a couple of lugs on the underside & slotted brackets to hold it roughly in place when fitting the screws.   Seemed a lot easier than trying to position it over the stand and not being able to see exactly where the fittings are in relation to the holes.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 10:28:26 AM »
Seemed a lot easier than trying to position it over the stand and not being able to see exactly where the fittings are in relation to the holes.

Surely that's one of those occasions where having two heads would have come in useful? :)

Zaphod Beeblebrox

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »
Indeed.  Trouble is mine are too close together!

Could have done with some help from Marvin but then you probably know what he's Like  ;D

Offline ecruzq

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 05:27:32 AM »
Hey I'm new hear, great forum, I'm wating for My new DGX 670 to replace My old DGX 505 from like 17 years ago, but still working 100%.  The good news Guitar Center shipping email received today, the Bad news only the stand and the pedal unit coming... SO still wating to enjoy the new toy, in the maen time the 505 still givimg joy.

Selky

DGX670 and iPAD/ digital sheet music
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »
Many years ago I played an analog piano.   The DGX-670 is warp speed for me.     I've had my DGX670 for a couple of days but I am still feeling my way around.  I need some guidance / suggestions / recommendations for implementing the iPad with the DGX670.   My DGX670 did not ship with bluetooth turned on.   I had ASSUMED is what the iPad would use.  The manual has a nice schematic for turning on bluetooth but I would like to hear from someone who has actually done it and used the iPad to download sheet music,   There are two bluetooth ports:  The one of the front ready for a usb stick and the read port which uses a USB B to USB C cable.    Plus, it looks like Yamaha has a usb lan stick available.    I would appreciate any tips on implementing the digital sheet music on the iPAD.   Although Yamaha's Owner Manual has a usb matrix with brand and model,  i would like to hear what actual musicians would recommend when buying USB sticks for music transfer. 

Many thanks,

Selky

PS I have read that Smart Piano is not available for the  DGX670.  Is that still true?