Author Topic: Pack installation  (Read 3831 times)

Offline meyrick

Pack installation
« on: December 09, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »
Hi. Can anyone help? I am trying to import a pack to the SX900 using the YEM to create said pack. The Pack is a 'SoundPacks' set of .uvn files from my Tyros 4, which has a .uvi file so as to add it to YEM. All well as the YEM creates the Pack install data. I have tried using each of the Pack extensions ie, .pqi .ppi, .cqi and .cpi but, all except the .cpi, are accepted to the point of the SX900 restart. From there nothing. The files cannot be found and the USER file still shows 4.00gb of free space, although the Pack file is 95mb .
What am I doing wrong, or is the SX900 in need of an overhaul? Of course it could be that the uvn files are corrupt, but I have no way of testing this. 
Everything else works fine, except my nervous system.
Looking forward with great anticipation for suggestions and cures. :) 
Regards meyrick

Offline ckobu

Re: Pack installation
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 03:30:52 PM »
Hi meyrick,

try using another USB stick.
Watch my video channel

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »
Hi meyrick,

First of all, it is important that the UVN files are in the same folder as the UVI Library file. Only then will the UVN voices be properly added to the new pack that is generated by importing the UVI file.

Alternatively, you could first create a new, empty pack and then import the desired UVN files into it (by drag & drop in the lower area of ​​the YEM window or with "Import Content").

Important: On the SX900 you can only use UVN voices that contain their own samples. Please check the file size of the UVN files on your computer. If these are only a few KB (kilobytes) in size, no samples are included, only internal T4 samples are used. Such UVNs will not work on the SX900. There are also UVNs that combine their own samples and internal T4 samples. When using such UVNs, you will only hear the samples contained in the UVN. (Only Tyros5 and Genos can also display UVNs that use internal T4 samples correctly.)

Which file type you choose for the Pack Install file depends on several factors: If you only want to install your own new pack or only unprotected packs (.ppf) are involved, choose the file type .ppi. If protected packs (.cpf) are also involved, choose .cpi.

If you had previously done a complete installation with .ppi or .cpi, you could do a Quick installation now (.pqi or .cqi). Important: ALL packs/content that you want to have on the keyboard must always be selected in YEM, both for a complete installation (.ppi/.cpi) and for a quick installation (.pqi/.cqi).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 03:58:06 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline meyrick

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »
Hi Casper.
Thank you for your suggestion. I have already tried that with two new USB sticks of 8gb each, with the same result.
I have to ask, if the USB was suspect, why would the SX900 go through the full process of installation? Surely the SX900 would reject it in the initial stages?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 01:40:00 AM »
Hi Chris.
Having used both methods you initially suggest regarding import to Yem, each was accepted correctly.
The file sizes of each of the UVN are between 5 and 9MB.
Your third paragraph is a little technical for me but I think I get what you are saying. However, as I said, these files were purchased from 'SoundPacks', that is Leigh Wilbraham. I don't know his method of producing these files.
A couple of weeks ago, someone generously posted samples of the Madrid Cathedral with the instruction to use YEM and export as .ppi, I cannot get the SX900 to accept these either. So I am more convinced there might be something wrong with the keyboard, as a free Yamaha pack 'Church and Christmas' will also not install.
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my distress call and being so clear with the detail, it is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
meyrick

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 05:34:55 AM »
Hi meyrick
if you’ve tried two more USB sticks, then it’s probably not a problem. The USB stick does not have to report an error as soon as you put it on the device, an error can also occur during data transfer.
Watch my video channel

Offline meyrick

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 02:46:07 PM »
Hi Casper.
I don't know enough about the workings of the SX900, so please accept my question here as a novice asking a simple question.
If a problem occurs during installation, why would I get to the point of the SX900 requiring a restart after the completed installation? I mean, it goes through the whole installation process and then requires a restart. Surely this would mean the SX900 has accepted the installation? Or as is possible, am I missing something?
Both USB sticks were formatted on the SX900 before loading them with the ppi and cpi files from YEM. This is what leads me to think there is something wrong with the SX900.
Please don't think that I am questioning your knowledge, far far be it from me to do so. It just seem odd that having taken on board what both you and Chris (overover) have offered, brings me up against a blanck wall.
Let me just say again, the file is a 'Soundpacks' file for the Tyros 4. What I didn't include was the file name, which is 'The Organist Entertains'. I cannot remember the year of purchase, but is possibly 5 years ago. This file has been kept on a USB stick with two other files, namely 'Cinema 1' and Cinema 2, and neither of these files will load to the SX900. Admittedly these files could have become corrupted, but I doubt this as the originals are kept at a stable temperature of 15c/59F and only a copy has been kept on my computer. And yes, a fresh copy was taken just in case.
I am of course open to suggestions, but if it does turn out to be the keyboard at fault, it may have to be returned to the shop.
Regards
meyrick 

Offline ckobu

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Hi meyrick,

I'm not angry, your questions are quite clear and you explain your problem well. A notification that appears at the end of the installation that the keyboard needs to be restarted is common. It is a mandatory procedure to load the written Pack into the Expansion memory.

You can do a simple test to see if the keyboard is correct (I think that your sx ok ). Download any free Pack for sx900, unzip the folder and select the file with the ppi extension. Copy it to a USB stick and start the installation process on the keyboard. If this Pack is installed, then the keyboard is OK.

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
Watch my video channel

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 03:02:34 PM »
I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

As I understand it, the SX goes through the install process, then asks for a restart. This is normal.

So, where are you looking to see if the new content has been installed?
Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 03:13:03 PM »
. The files cannot be found and the USER file still shows 4.00gb of free space, although the Pack file is 95mb .

@DerekA, you're probably right when you raise that suspicion.
The Installation Package is located in Expansion Memory.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Watch my video channel

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 09:25:21 PM »
Here is a link to a video from SoundPacks.co.uk which attempts to explain where to find expansion voices.

https://soundpacks.co.uk/blogs/news/how-to-find-your-new-expansion-sounds-in-yamaha-genos

Although it uses Genos in the video, the process and screens are the same for the SX models, so perhaps it might be helpful.

Make sure that you start by opening the 'Voice' selection screen.  Although all folders are displayed in any mode, any voices inside them will only be shown if you are in the voice selection mode.

Regards

Ian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »
I am still using YEM 2.70 and I have loaded in UVN files with no problem. I make up a new pack and just choose the ones I want to use.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »
Hi All.
My apologies for the delay in answering, we have been very busy due a member of the Royal Family visiting to present the local uni graduation certificates.
Firstly, Casper. Very sorry if I caused an upset, it really was not intended. However, as you suggested I have downloaded a couple of the Yamaha Free Packs. Pleased to report, they have installed correctly and usable. This proves the keyboard is not at fault and I thank you for that suggestion.

DerekA. To access the installed packs I press the 'Regist Bank Select + - together, then Tap Expansion on the screen. When I was trying to install the UVN files, this only showed a folder and on tapping, it went blank. Very frustrating.

tyrosaurus. Thank you for this 'SoundPacks' Information. I have to say I wasn't aware of this process. I haven't tried it as yet, but I most surely will when time permits in the very near future, when these uni bods check out Sunday. No matter how old we get, we learn something new every day. Wonderful.

Eileen. Thank you for your input. I have been thinking (rattle bang) :) Perhaps the UVI file is not doing as it should. So perhaps if I load the UVNs by drag and dropping into YEM, and follow the process as directed by 'tyrodaurus', then perhaps I may make some headway. We can but try.

Thank you so very much to all who have replied to my cry for help, it is so very humbling to know help is available from knowledgable people, willing to share their knowledge. It has pushed me into looking at other ways to look at problems, which is what learning is all about.
Thank you again.
Kind Regards
meyrick

Offline DerekA

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 07:35:13 PM »
Try going to the voice selection page, then choosing the expansion folder there.

Not all packs include registration, and certainly not those you create yourself from uvn files.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 10:28:01 AM »
Hi DerekA.
That was the one piece of information overlooked and I think it cracked it
Many Thanks
meyrick

Offline overover

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
Hi meyrick,

As is well known, every File Selection display on Yamaha keyboards is filtered by file type. That means, in the Voice Selection display you only see Voice files, in the Registration Bank Selection display only Registration Bank files, in the Style Selection display only Style files, etc.

So if a folder that should actually contain files is supposedly "empty", you are often only in the "wrong" File Selection display.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline meyrick

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 01:13:05 AM »
Hi Chris

Information gratefully received.
Looking in the wrong place usually results in not finding that which is required.
Perhaps closer observation of what is in front of me is required ;D

Regards
meyrick

Divemaster

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »
Having done the same it is often quite a lightbulb moment to discover that just by pressing ONE single button, all is revealed....
I thought I'd lost my playlists the other day. Checked the USB stick. Went back to the PC....reloaded, still nothing......then thought
Press USER........Oh dear oh dear......

I bought a pill box the other day marked in days of the week....It's a revelation....At least now I know with some confidence what day of the week it is when I get up in the morning ! That hasn't always been the case for quite a while....

Offline meyrick

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 02:05:14 AM »
Hi Divemaster.
Totally off topic, but felt I had to answer. I get the impression from your post you are a little like me, more than a few miles on the clock?  A very true saying comes to mind, 'Old age doesn't come alone'. My apologies if I'm wrong.
However, I have to say, one never stops learning.
A Happy New Year to all.

Regards
meyrick