Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 1831 times)

Divemaster

Hi from the UK
« on: December 08, 2021, 11:21:33 AM »
Hi to you all.

I'm Keith. I live up in the North East of the UK in a place called Consett which used to be a massive mining and steel making area, and I've just become a new member of the forum group, and since I'm going to be here for advice and information, I've given a contribution too.
I'm an older retired guy of 75, and used to be a commercial diver amongst other skills, hence my user name. I still get great enjoyment out of playing my instruments, and love composing new numbers. I'm not into loud modern music, and prefer Easy Listening, Cocktail Bar, light Jazz styles.
i started, by playing a beaten up old harmonium that my late Dad picked up at an auction. It got woodworm so made good firewood!
Then I tried piano. Up to that point I could play by ear, but this teacher was having none of that. So I almost gave up with him, but then he left (he was about 80 anyway). He broke 2 of my fingers by hitting me across the knuckles with a steel ruler when I played a wrong note.....Not a nice man.
I then came under the wing of a guy called David Crump who was a Fellow of the Royal College of Organists FRCO here in the UK. One of the nicest humans I have ever met.
David identified my poor piano playing, and suggested that I might like to try learnign organ.
So I started Organ lessons on a 3 Manual church organ, and within a few months I was completely hooked. David got me my own set of keys to the organ loft and I spent many happy hours exploring this King of Instruments. I played for many services, and also led the choir for several years.
Since then I have had a number of instruments from Yamaha, Orla, Hammond, Casio, and my last instrument was a Tyros 1.
I've now sold this on, and bought myself a nice new PSR-SX700.
Only had it for a week, and still exploring it.  WOW what a super keyboard. Blown away with it.
I've got my Music Finder files on there, and a lot of my styles.

Still trying to get my head round registrations, so I'll be asking some questions soon.

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline overover

Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 12:34:47 PM »
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, and thank you for the detailed information about yourself!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline John UK

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »
Hi Keith, welcome to the forum. Thank you for replying to my earlier post about the Tyros 5, I bought a very good example a few months ago, and have no concerns with it being an older keyboard. My Yamaha EL90c is considerably older, but seems to be running reliably though I've replaced the floppy drive with a USB emulator and had to re-seat one bulb. This forum though is a great place for advice, information, and styles, with many helpful people, though don't forget to look at the website pages as well as the forum pages.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 01:36:57 AM »
Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member and "Supporter".  I enjoyed reading your biography.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new PSR-SX700 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains almost 102,000 song titles in 2,654 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page