Author Topic: YEM? WTH?  (Read 829 times)

Offline Rich Z

YEM? WTH?
« on: December 06, 2021, 09:13:15 PM »
What the heck version of Windows was this YEM software designed to run under?  Version 1.0?  I have two systems (laptop and desktop) running version 10 and neither one will display the YEM screen properly.  I tried playing around with screen size settings (native is 3840 x 2160) as well as text sizes and I just could not get it to display worth a darn.  Not to where it is useful much.  If I position the cursor just right, I can get it to generate the files needed, and if I am careful I can get the cursor to trigger those little icon buttons, but darn....  I've seen some really awkward programming come out of China before, but this pretty much takes the cake.  Perhaps Yamaha had China do their programming for them and only had a $50 budget allocated?

What worries me is that this product has apparently been out for a while, and it seems there hasn't been enough incentive for Yamaha to fix it.  So what are the chances it will EVER be fixed?

BTW, I tried both versions 2.7.0 and 2.8.1, and got the same results.

So what version and screen resolution is everyone else using with this program?  And is there some setting I have incorrect that will make this work OK?

I do have a PC running Windows Vista sitting in my den that I only use to back up my emails every once in a blue moon.  I guess I could try that to see if that works better. But still....
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline ckobu

Re: YEM? WTH?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 10:24:43 PM »
Incorrect YEM display is due to incorrect scaling settings on the monitor. Put it on 100% and it will be fine.
Watch my video channel

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 01:06:02 AM »
Yes, I tried that.  And a lot of other settings as well.  When I set my desktop to scale at 100%, what I get is attached below.  What I normally have the scale set at is 225% and that makes everything else happy.

Setting the scale at 100% makes my PC pretty much useless as everything else is so small that it is ridiculous. Heck, I can just barely even see the mouse cursor on the screen. Matter of fact, even the text in the YEM screen is pretty darn small.  Point of the matter is that none of the many, MANY applications I have loaded and run on my PC over the years has ever had this sort of problem. So it appears to me that this YEM program is not written to adhere to the standards necessary to be compliant with Windows 10 (and perhaps others).

I will have to check with my other PC over in my "music room" in another building along where my keyboards reside to see what that looks like there. If I recall correctly, I also installed YEM over there, and that is how I originally ran the program and uploaded the packs to the GENOS via wifi.  But that is also a WIN10 system, but I can't remember the resolution of the screen being used on it. I just thought it would be much more convenient to generate these YEM packs here in my den and use the USB method of installing them using the "footware" method of file transfer. That might turn out to not be the case, unfortunately.

But thanks for the suggestion and trying to help.  Just wish that was the answer I needed.  :(

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 08:59:10 PM »
Rich Z,

For reference, I am using YEM 2.8.1  on Windows 10 version 21H2, with dual 4K 43" screens (native 3840x2160)

One of them is set to 200% scaling, and the other at 150% scaling, and no problem to drag the app back and forth between them.
It resizes correctly on either screen.
Hope you can figure out your situation, Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 09:07:45 PM »
Well, I loaded up YEM 2.7 on my PC over in the "music" room and it looks fine there. The monitor on that system is 1920x1200 at 100% scaling.

So I came back over to the den and set my laptop also to 1920x1200, 100% scaling, and yes, YEM looks OK like that.  So at least in my case, YEM seems to be real sensitive as to the resolution and scaling of the screen on my computers. Doesn't seem to like a 4K screen at all.

Be that as it may, I am still having issues working with YEM that I will document in another relevant thread.

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:14 PM »
OK, well, it might be worth taking a look at the Properties of the executable file.
I checked on my system, and I have these check boxes selected on the Compatibility tab (Change high DPI settings)

If I remember correctly, I had some problem with the fonts being too big, just as your screen capture shows, and this cleared it up for me.
HiDPI has always been a little wonky on 4K screens  LOL
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »
OK, well, it might be worth taking a look at the Properties of the executable file.
I checked on my system, and I have these check boxes selected on the Compatibility tab (Change high DPI settings)

If I remember correctly, I had some problem with the fonts being too big, just as your screen capture shows, and this cleared it up for me.
HiDPI has always been a little wonky on 4K screens  LOL

Thanks for the suggestion.  But I tried every option in that compatibility section and no joy. :(

I can get it to work on my desktop by making it so small that I have to use a magnifying glass to read anything, but who wants to have to do that?

I may have to resign myself to only using YEM on that computer over in the other building. Not a killer, of course, but it would have been more convenient and comfortable doing this in my den.  Of course, once I have it worked out, I don't suspect I will be doing much with YEM afterwards. At least I hope not.