Author Topic: SX900 keybed issue...  (Read 7459 times)

vadesriux

SX900 keybed issue...
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
I dont know about you guys but my 1 month old SX900 has at least 5 white keys that are making a strange noise when I play them. When you release the key it sounds like a spring is loose or something like that. I have a very light playing technique so this isn't surely about hiting the keys hard.

My former keyboard, a MODX7, has never developed nothing like this on its keybed. Which leads me to think the SX900 keybed quality is inferior to the one on the MODX. Incomprehensible for the SX900 is 700€ more expensive... Bad quality control at the least. A shame again for I have really learned to enjoy this keyboard. Its very compact, all buttons and functions are easily reached and the interface is excellent. But the keys being of good quality is... essential. My dream was to be able to buy a Genos but the price was (and still is) way too high for me. So I kept the SX900.

Now I have to send it back yo Yamaha to check what is going on... Very annoying really.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 04:35:08 PM by vadesriux »

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline dragonkeys

Re: SX900 keybed issue...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
It's a flaw that has always existed in PSR keyboards. Only now it appears faster, Yamaha has not been able to repair mine, it has been with the problem for almost a year.

Best Regards.

vadesriux

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 10:39:19 PM »
I’ve always regarded Yamaha as a very fine manufacturer and still do. I know the Japanese feel proud of the things they build. It’s also a question of honor for them. We see that clearly in F1 for instance. And I am sure they will do whatever it takes to fix something they find has been bad manufactured. Nevertheless its annoying to find such a repetitive glitch on such an expensive instrument. But I remember when I had a brand new Yamaha Montage with me for a week and also found a particular white key which was noisy. And that is a FSX top of the range Keybed (the same as on Genos).

Given that Yamaha keyboards are now built outside Japan maybe this is a case of bad assembly ? Or bad quality control ? We shouldn’t need to use grease on a 4 weeks old keybed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 10:43:22 AM by vadesriux »

Online EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 02:02:36 PM »
The grease is only used it the Keys rattle and click and it is usually all of them. There is another thing that will not let sounds sound as they should and that is the rubber strips used under the notes.

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, mhack

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 05:45:47 PM »
Looks like random SX900's for some people here have developed the issue but not all.  >:(  :(
Hope Yamaha gets the message for future builds and has this issue pre resolved before new future releases come out.
Makes future buyers think a little before buying as nothing is more aggravating then buying a new one,paying full asking price and having to then send it in after such a short time !!!

My nephew has a Casio they bought at the price club and the darn semi weighted keybed on that thing is pretty darn good but the sound  :( nowhere  as good as the Yamaha's go figure

Craig

Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 06:42:46 PM »
This particular issue has been discussed before in great detail. It's obviously not a good situation for those that have unfortunately purchased a new keyboard with noisy keys. It's probably due to a batch of boards that the grease was not applied correctly, or simply not enough was used

My particular SX-900 was not that "noisy", but I took it to an authorized Yamaha repair shop anyway, just to check it out. The tech said he only noticed a normal click that all keyboards have in various noise levels, and was really unnoticeable at all while actually playing. But said, while it's here, and Yamaha has agreed to apply grease, we might as well do it.

Anyway, Yamaha USA agreed sent him the official factory grease, and I was not charged anything by the shop. At that time, the keyboard was still under warranty. I'm not 100% sure how Yamaha would handle this if the warranty had expired, but my experience with Yamaha (USA) has always been positive.

My advise is to contact Yamaha directly, and explain the problem, then find an authorized Yamaha Repair Shop to fix your problem.
Good Luck :)
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 06:02:38 AM »
Hi,
I just got back my PSR SX700 on Saturday from service - adding grease was Yamaha's treat, cost free while in 2year standard warranty.
I am the 2nd owner, bought SH from another country, but since I have the buying documents from the 1st owner there was no problem to obtain the repair acceptance from Yamaha

Maybe you should give it a try

BR
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk, mhack

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 03:19:03 PM »
Hi,
I just got back my PSR SX700 on Saturday from service - adding grease was Yamaha's treat, cost free while in 2year standard warranty.
I am the 2nd owner, bought SH from another country, but since I have the buying documents from the 1st owner there was no problem to obtain the repair acceptance from Yamaha

BR

Happy that Yamaha came through for you with their usual great customer service. :)
Enjoy again
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 03:20:07 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

vadesriux

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »
I notify Yamaha repair centre here in Portugal and they weren't aware of this issue yet. They have also not heard about Yamaha's grease which is used to solve this issue. I guess only a few SX's must have been sold in Portugal. They told me to send them an email describing the issue so they can contact Yamaha's headquarters for guidance on how to fix this issue.

I will wait until January to send the keyboard for repair for most probably more keys will develop these strange noises.

Online EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 05:12:38 PM »
This problem was known about a year ago. It is not good when suppliers do not keep up with the times.

Offline Bissig

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »
From Yamaha

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: rezaazadi1361, Woudi

vadesriux

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 12:07:08 PM »
Thank you so much Bissig.

Your post is most important since, as I've read, Yamaha does not advise at all applying grease on the white keys.

There must be another solution to fix noises appearing on the white keys, as I have experienced with my SX900.

Will leave to Yamaha to solve this.

Online EileenL

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2021, 11:59:29 PM »
That is not true.
  Mine went back and all keys had new grease applied and has worked fine ever since.

vadesriux

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »
Did you see Yamaha's Corporation Japan bulletin above Eileen ? They underline in red to not use grease on the white keys guide.

Unless the grease is used on a different part of the white keys (compared to the black ones). We dont know.

Anyway I want to wish everybody here a safe and Happy Christmas and all the best.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:57:36 AM by vadesriux »

Online EileenL

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2021, 12:26:42 PM »
I only know that mine were done to stop the white notes being so noisy as they clattered when used.

vadesriux

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2021, 03:30:44 PM »
Exactly the same problem as mine. I wonder why, in so early stages of wear, these noises tend to appear. Maybe lack of adequate QC (quality control), or maybe a hurry assembly process due to the need of recover from the pandemic low sales.

Anyway I still find Yamaha to be a terrific manufacturer and the SX900 is a trully great instrument for the price.

Wish you a Happy Christmas Eileen and forgive me if sometimes I seem a little bit harsh on my posts. Will try to improve on this. Have a nice Christmas holiday.

Online EileenL

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »
Hi vadesriux,
  I have an idea the right grease was not used on some of the earlier SX900. I had mine when they first came out. Yamaha sorted it out and put fresh grease in it and is fine now.
  Have a nice Christmas.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2021, 06:39:01 PM »
That is not true.
  Mine went back and all keys had new grease applied and has worked fine ever since.
Me Too
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2021, 10:26:48 PM »
Does anybody knows if a similar problem has occurred with Genos also?

Thank you

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Online EileenL

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
No this is not and never has been a problem with Genos.

Online overover

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 10:46:08 PM »
Does anybody knows if a similar problem has occurred with Genos also?

Thank you

Angelo

Hi Angelo,

The very high-quality FSX keyboard built into the Genos and Tyros2-5 is constructed completely differently than the FSB keyboard of the SX900/700. I have never heard since the Tyros2 times that there was a quality problem with the FSX keyboard.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Woudi

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 03:32:28 PM »
Hallo, today I brought my SX700 to my dealer in Roosendaal. Yamaha Netherlands acknowledged that there can be a problem with the black keys. The grease is ordered, but it will take several months to be delivered at my dealer. Knowing that there is a solution on the way, helps softening my disappointment in a brand like Yamaha.

vadesriux

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
My SX900 keybed (several white keys) continue to make abnormal noises but I have not send it to repair under warranty yet (still very new keyboard).

The new FSB keybed is not so good as Yamaha claims it to be. In fact it is worse than Yamaha MODX 7 keybed which does not make any noises at all. And the MODX 7 is a lot cheaper than the SX900. So I dont understand where things went wrong with these new type of keybeds.

Offline Woudi

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 02:41:15 PM »
The black keys on my SX700 has been re-greased by my dealer. I hope that the problem won't return

Offline rene1242

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 06:48:41 PM »
I opened my sx900 decided to grease it (have electronics engineering backround)however I bought a thicker grease not the blue one yamaha recomends , upon opening i discovered that there was little to no grease resulting in wobbling and a noisy keybed ,The process is not hard however One must be aware when dismatling as there are short screws ,long screws etc .. now ive been using it for months and the keybed feels even more solid than when i bought it So yes it can be fixed I agree
That is not true.
"SynthGrooves"

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 08:24:53 PM »
... I bought a thicker grease not the blue one yamaha recomends ,...

What type of grease did you use? Is it for electronic components?  What is name of it and what company makes it?  I know you are in Europe but is this grease available world-wide?

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline RobertM

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2022, 02:06:37 AM »
Thanks for asking that question Joe, I'd like to know the answer to that one too.
Robert.

Offline rene1242

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 06:17:22 PM »
What type of grease did you use? Is it for electronic components?  What is name of it and what company makes it?  I know you are in Europe but is this grease available world-wide?

Joe H

This is the grease I bought it off aliexpress Its Called white lithium Grease link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001269813129.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.4aaf1802D9UBgl

[attachment deleted by admin]
"SynthGrooves"

Offline Joe H

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2022, 10:37:27 PM »
Rene,

Thank you for the link.  So it's grease for many electronic devices with plastic gears, etc.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: rene1242

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 12:21:45 PM »
The SX900 is not a cheap keyboard at £1,650.   My unit is 12 months old and is sounding very poorly as far as the keys are concerned.  I previously had two Tyros 4's which both had a hard life and gave no problems.  Excepting the keybed issue the SX900 is a fine piece of kit.  However, Yamaha have let the side down with the SX900 keys problem.  It's fine to say they will repair the keybed problem but how do you work without a keyboard while they have it in for repair?  Notwithstanding the hassle and inconvenience associated with it's return.

Offline rene1242

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 04:19:01 PM »
Rene,

Thank you for the link.  So it's grease for many electronic devices with plastic gears, etc.

Joe H
That exactly right
"SynthGrooves"

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2022, 06:31:54 AM »
Hi,

BR

The clanky black keys issue is back  :'(
I am thinking about buying grease and fix it myself this time.
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR Sx700  8)

Offline rene1242

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2022, 01:45:22 PM »
The clanky black keys issue is back  :'(
I am thinking about buying grease and fix it myself this time.

I did it myself been using it for months now the issue is gone
"SynthGrooves"