Author Topic: T5 reg backup  (Read 2175 times)

Offline adrianed

T5 reg backup
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:38:01 PM »
Hi Folks,
What is the quickest way to make a backup of all the T5s registrations to a USB drive for safety in case of instrument failure
Adrian

Offline Fred Smith

Re: T5 reg backup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 03:13:29 AM »
Hi Folks,
What is the quickest way to make a backup of all the T5s registrations to a USB drive for safety in case of instrument failure
Adrian

Copy them.

Hopefully you have them in a folder. Go to your registrations, choose Copy, select the files/folders to copy, Copy, go to your USB1 drive, select copy here.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline adrianed

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 06:58:47 AM »
Thanks Fred,
I was thinking copy and paste but many times I have seen the message Too many files selected, I just thought there might be a better way
Yes I have Them in alphabetical  folders, about six folders, At the moment 715 registrations
Merry Christmas
Adrian
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 07:00:29 AM by adrianed »

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »
Hi Adrian,

You are probably talking about Registration Bank files on the Tyros5 hard drive (HD1). You could use the USB Storage Mode. This allows you to access the T5 hard drive from your computer and copy the files you want to the computer and/or to USB sticks (connected to the computer).

To do this, connect the USB to Host terminal of the T5 to the (switched on) computer using a USB type AB cable ("Printer Cable") and then power on the T5 while holding down the "Music Finder" button. After a short while, the T5 hard drive should appear on the computer as an additional drive.

Note: You CANNOT access the internal User drive of the T5 via USB storage mode. The simplest method of copying files saved here to a USB stick would be to use the internal COPY function. Alternatively you can use the Windows program "MusicSoft Downloader". This allows you to access all T5 drives from your PC (hard drive, user drive and connected USB sticks).

Important: To use the "MusicSoft Downloader" with a USB cable, the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver must be installed on the PC. In addition, this option is more suitable for copying individual / few files. Communication takes place here via the MIDI protocol, so copying many files here takes a relatively long time.

Please also note: If only preset styles and preset multi pads are used in your registrations, it is no problem to copy the registration files from the internal hard drive or from the user drive to a USB stick and use them from there. However, if user styles are used in the registration, the registrations from the USB stick will not work, even if the styles have also been copied to the stick and the original folder structure has been retained. In order for these registrations to work from the stick, the drive letters of the file paths that are stored in the bank files must first be changed.

The Windows program "Yamaha Registration Manager" from our forum member Murray Best can be used for this (or you have to re-memorize each individual registration):
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Online EileenL

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
Hi Adrian,
  I always think it is well worth backing the whole hard drive to computer. If you accidentally loose everything it is very hard to find everything you had on there. Most of us have collected hundreds of styles and done lots of recordings over the years which is a lot to lose.
  I wrote an article on how to do this without loosing any of your links to anything.

I know some of you have had problems doing this in the past. If like me you have a lot of articles saved to your hard drive and have collected them over the years the last thing you want to happen is to lose them. Hard Drives are fairly reliable but there is always that one time, or you may format by accident.
Firstly you will need a cable with USB(A) one end and USB(B) the other. In other words a printer cable. Connect up and have your computer switched on and your Keyboard switched Off. At this point I would suggest you switch of your modem, anti-virus and screen savers. This prevents any interference with the file transfer. Now, holding down the Music Finder Button switch keyboard on. In a few seconds your keyboard screen will show you it is connected. Now go to your computer and you will see Tyros5 HDD. Right click this and from the drop down menu select "Copy". Next thing to do is select your" C " drive root directory. Right click and from the drop down menu select "Paste”. According to how much information you are saving this may take several hours. This is well worth the time as, in case of problems with the keyboard Hard Drive you have all your hard work saved. To reload this back just use reverse procedure and everything will go back in tact with all your links still active.
Don't forget then to turn back on your computer the Modem, anti-virus and screen savers.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:24:01 PM »
Thankyou Eileen,
After reading the previous replies to my post I was thinking I would need to backup the whole hard drive because the styles I have used to make up the registrations are stored on the same drive.
Full backup is a very good point and a job I must do.
Thankyou for the details in your reply
I can now put it together, after reading your reply and the one sent by Chris at first seemed a little complicated, both of you have started my Old grey matter working
Thankyou again and Merry Christmas
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:37:31 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thankyou for your comprehensive instruction how to backup my T5 hard drive, I have thinking about it for the last couple of days
Just lucky I have a computer close to the keyboard, I use it to send sheet music to an attached monitor.
Very lucky also that Eileen also sent a detailed reply which has helped me with the connecting up details
In all the replies are going to be printed and put in my personal how to things folder.
Again thankyou Chris
Merry Christmas
Adrian