Author Topic: Changing Registrations automatically?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Normsthename

Changing Registrations automatically?
« on: December 04, 2021, 08:37:26 PM »
Hi
I own a Yamaha Genos with a lower second 88 key Midi Keyboard and Studio logic Midi Bass Pedals.
Recently I have been watching videos on YouTube of the Yamaha ELC-02 Organ.
As you probably know these Organs can change the registrations automatically or with a pedal.
I have my Genos setup to change registrations with a foot pedal but I was wondering if it was possible to change them automatically like the ELC-02?
Any ideas?

Andy

Offline Toril S

Re: Changing Registrations automatically?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 08:52:52 PM »
Just use the registration sequence function😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 09:31:08 PM »
Andy,

I had Electone Organ back in the 80's and you are correct you can have it automatically change the registrations without a pedal, but it's been so long I don't remember how it worked. I would imagine by the measures in the song. I have not been able to duplicate that feature on my Genos. I do use Registration Sequence as mentioned above, but you must use a pedal to go thru the sequence. Now I am pretty sure you could do it with MIDI somehow, but I myself, don't know how to do that.

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: Normsthename

Offline Normsthename

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 10:20:14 PM »
Thanks Rick
I already use the Sequence Tool to change registrations via a foot pedal.
Like you, I thought it might be possible with a Midi File.
That would be ideal because I could then have a dedicated Drum Track for the particular song and change the registrations automatically via Midi.
Just need some Midi Guru to work out how to do it!

Andy

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 10:35:21 PM »
I already use the Sequence Tool to change registrations via a foot pedal.
Like you, I thought it might be possible with a Midi File.
That would be ideal because I could then have a dedicated Drum Track for the particular song and change the registrations automatically via Midi.
Just need some Midi Guru to work out how to do it!

I'm not sure why a dedicated drum track detracts from your registration sequence. Is it because you don't have enough pedals? If so, your best bet is to buy another one.

To address your question, there are midi commands to change registrations. However, they are acted upon when the keyboard recieves the command. So you question is: what do you have that's sending the midi command to the keyboard?

If your midi file is one the keyboard is playing, it won't be easy. You would have to connect your midi out port to your midi in. If you get it working, let us know.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 11:37:54 PM »
Hi
I own a Yamaha Genos with a lower second 88 key Midi Keyboard and Studio logic Midi Bass Pedals.
Recently I have been watching videos on YouTube of the Yamaha ELC-02 Organ.
As you probably know these Organs can change the registrations automatically or with a pedal.
I have my Genos setup to change registrations with a foot pedal but I was wondering if it was possible to change them automatically like the ELC-02?
Any ideas?

Andy

Hi Andy,

The easiest method is to save so-called "Keyboard Voice Meta Events" into the MIDI files in order to automatically switch the panel settings. When using this method, not the registrations are switched, but the desired panel settings (which can be made through registrations of course) are stored directly in the MIDI file at the desired song positions.

Method:

- Load the desired MIDI file and make the desired keyboard voice settings (e.g. by loading the 1st registration).
- Go to "MIDI Multi Recording > Setup" and make sure again that the correct song is loaded.
- Make sure that the top 7 checkmarks are set in the "Setup" window (Voice - Tempo) as well as the checkmark "Keyboard Voice".
- Touch "Execute" button in the "Setup" window to write the settings into the MIDI file.
- Note: In this way you can write the desired keyboard voice settings into the MIDI file at any position in the song.
- Important: The MIDI file must of course be saved again afterwards (touch "Close" in the "Setup" window and then "Save").

By the way, it is relatively cumbersome to remove such keyboard voice events from MIDI files again directly on the keyboard. But this works very easily with the PC program "PSRUTI".

P.S.
You can switch registration banks and the registrations (buttons 1 - 10) externally via MIDI. There are two different methods here:

1. "old" method with Bank Select MSB / LSB / Program Change on the port and channel set to "Keyboard" in the MIDI setup. To do this, all registration banks used must be saved in a single folder, and the bank names must be numbered with a preceding 3-digit number.

2. "New" SysEx method with Genos and PSR-SX: Each registration sends a unique SysEx string when it is called. At when the same SysEx string is received, the relevant registration is called up again.

The problem is that the registration switching does not work by default from an internally played MIDI file. So you would have to connect MIDI B OUT to MIDI B IN via a MIDI cable (as already mentioned by Fred). In addition, it would have to be ensured that an undesired "MIDI loop" of certain data does not occur. Therefore I recommend only experienced users with good MIDI knowledge to use a registration switch via internally played MIDI files.

The method provided by Yamaha is to save keyboard voice events in MIDI files, as described at the beginning.

P.P.S.
If it is "only" about the automatic switching of the Registration buttons within the current bank, this would be possible with MFC10 commands (Note on events) in the MIDI file. But here, too, a MIDI OUT would have to be connected externally to a MIDI IN, as described above.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:51:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Normsthename

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 12:40:42 AM »
Thank Chris, I will have to give that a try! 😁

Andy