Author Topic: Help accidentally formatted user drive.  (Read 2978 times)

Offline muzicman147

Help accidentally formatted user drive.
« on: December 04, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Hi,
After reading about the new 2.02 update I decided to do an update.......
Well after downloading I copied the file on to a 64gb stick that I always use for the Genos, but when I tried to update, the keyboard put up a message saying no file found, so I tried a few times and got the same report.
So I reformatted the usb on the laptop and tried again, no change, then I thought I'd try reformatting the usb on the keyboard...... and this is where I made a major mistake..... I went through the menu's to the formatting screen and on seeing a drive that was 58gb I assumed it was the usb as I know that a 64gb drive reads about 58gb in the properties.

So I thought I had reformatted the usb but unfortunately I have formatted the USER drive and no I didn't back it up.

I have since managed to install the 2.02 update using a different usb.
Although I am annoyed at losing all the work for nearly 2yrs I tend not to dwell and just make do, so my problem is  that I have lost all my expansion packs.... no real problem as they are all on the laptop..... but I've made a new install file on the Yem and tried to reinstall them, but keep getting messages to say that " Genos can't do a quick install" ?
Now I'm wondering as I've updated the Genos to 2.02, do I need to update the Yem ?
I'm using 2.6 at the moment but that's because I only have a windows 7 laptop.
Drew
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 03:07:36 PM by muzicman147 »

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Help !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
YEM doesn't have anything to do with the keyboard firmware version. As far as I remember.
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 12:43:50 PM »
Just make a full install with your packs, not an incremental. File format that yem saves should be cpf or cpi. This should do the trick. 
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 12:48:32 PM »
Hi Drew,

Please note that the current Genos firmware is V2.10. If you have only updated to V2.02 now, please also update to V2.10.

When saving the Pack Install file, please make sure that ".cpi" is set as the file type. If ".cqi" (Pack Quick Install file) is set, click on it and select ".cpi" instead. This file type is required to perform a full pack installation.

P.S.
Regarding deleted data in your User drive: It is possible that the deleted data in the User drive could be restored from the computer in USB storage mode. I can't recommend a suitable program for this at the moment, but there are data recovery programs (some free) that can restore accidentally formatted drives. If you want to try this, you shouldn't save any new data in the User drive at this time (and don't install any Expansion Packs either, because the folder "Expansion", in which the styles, registration files and multi-pad files of the Packs are stored, is in the User drive).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:12:50 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Rick D., muzicman147

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Drew,

This is hind site advice but after you get everything back to normal, it is wise to do full backups of everything and store them on your computer.

The Genos is nothing more than another computer in the room with keys and excellent voices attached. The earlier arrangers used to be the opposite - a musical instrument driven by a very small computer - if any computer at all. There were very little file changes possible. Ever since registrations were added, the instrument is a computer first and a musical instrument second. Treat it like a computer.

Now, when was my last backup :o??
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: muzicman147

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
I think you are getting the User memory 58 Gb mixed up with the YEM programme which is installed on computer and holds all your packs. This can not be formatted from the keyboard.
 The latest Keyboard up date is 2.10 and is installed in the keyboard. The latest YEM update is 2.8.and is installed on the computer.

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 03:45:08 PM »
My thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions, I will be trying again with the Yem later.
As for the back up, it seems I was a bit more on the ball than I remembered, I found a back up file on the laptop that I made about a year ago...... so although I've lost all recent files I have got about half of it so that's a big bonus.
Thanks again for your help
Drew

Ps.
It was 2.10 not 2.02 I installed so up to date.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 03:49:25 PM by muzicman147 »

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 04:35:03 PM »
When saving the Pack Install file, please make sure that ".cpi" is set as the file type. If ".cqi" (Pack Quick Install file) is set, click on it and select ".cpi" instead. This file type is required to perform a full pack installation.

Best regards,
Chris
[/quote]

Chris,
Thank you so much for this, I changed the file type as you say and "wham bam thank you mam" it went straight on.
Cheers
Drew

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 04:43:34 PM »
You're welcome, Drew!
I'm glad to could help you!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
Silly question...... Does formatting the user drive change any other settings.....such as Eq and Compressor  ?

Offline soryt

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 11:38:52 AM »
No it doesnt , but you can in Utility make back-ups in regulary time , or using the dirct HDD control method

8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline muzicman147

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Thanks for the info....
Cheers
Drew

Offline maartenb

Re: Can't reinstall my expansion packs anymore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 12:32:16 PM »
Drew, I'm glad you got at least a part of your files back!!

A little tip if you allow me: Please change the subject of this thread to the subject of your question. Like "Can't reinstall my expansion packs anymore after accidentally formatting user drive" or something similar. That way your thread is easier to find for this problem.

Maarten

Offline muzicman147

Re: Help accidentally formatting user drive.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »
Title Changed  8)