Author Topic: Storing locations USB USER HD  (Read 2450 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Storing locations USB USER HD
« on: December 01, 2021, 04:34:08 PM »
I faintly recall one of these options is limited in space. either the USER or HD.
Can you let me know which one is limited in space?

I am starting from the beginning to delete many files.
I have been relying on the USB, but I have noticed USB is slow between operations.

Either the USER or HD ( or who knows. both?) is faster when changing registrations than the USB.

I would like to choose the fastest storage location
if it turns out the fastest is also the one with the smallest space... HOW many registrations can the smallest and fastest storage location, hold?
Does filling it up to its limit slow it down?

I don't know if I am using the correct terms ( location- storage space- etc ) but all i want to do is create a small number of registrations that are quicker than the USB.
Thank you

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Storing locations USB USER HD
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 05:15:39 PM »
It has been my experience that the USB drive and onboard storage space responds at about the same access speed. No need to use anything other than the USB drive, as the onboard storage space is quite limited. However, because these files are quite small, you can store them pretty much anywhere you wish. Access time to onboard styles via registrations is almost instantaneous, regardless of where the styles are stored.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 06:33:32 PM »
It is the USR storage space that is very small. I only used to use mins as a work bench for trying things out and then would transfer to hard drive.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »
Two of the old school pros here ( Eileen Gary ) Thank you both.

My ten years with T4 tells me the USB can be frustratingly slow. You know the bandstand facts.. dead air, is verbotten.
It may be slow, because I have MIDI SONGS loaded into the registrations.

I will have to make an experiment and see.

Currently, I am not using the MIDI songs as has been my habit the past few years. I am now going back to using 5 parts,
Manual bass, 3 layers in R side, and the drum style with all other parts of style off.

I store a main*** registration on USB.
yesterday I copied it to USER and to HD

If I make a change in registration in one of the three locations... am I looking for trouble? Meaning, a change in the USB based reg, could create a "t4" kind of "confusion" in the system, because I didn't duplicate those changes manually in the remaining two storage areas ( USER HD )!

Am I right to be concerned about changes to one reg causing "confusion" in the machine?
Or is it only me that is confused... the T4 CAN adapt to even three variations of the same named registration in 3 storage locations?

*** Main registration, meaning, I am temporarily only using one registration bank .
I am limiting to a single bank because I want to solve some issues I am having, and one registration keeps it simpler.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 07:32:30 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:59 PM »
You are correct, there is a difference in speed. Previously, User was the fastest (so I would tell people to store the styles used for registrations internally); A couple of my youtube videos have hiccups (the Star Trek VI theme, the 2nd part of the registration refused to load for about 20 seconds, meaning I had to skip through 5 registration changes when it finally loaded to catch up to where I actually was in the song). Yes the USB stick I was using was USB 3.

THis held true right up to the CVP709/Tyros5/PSRs970.

However, as some users have reported, their user memory sometimes can't keep up (most noticeable when recording audio as a speed up/slowdown during writing). And since the Genos now uses an SSD, not a platter,. it's probably fastest to use the hard drive now.

You won't notice any significant speed difference if your registration is on a USB stick and your styles are internal; but it *is* noticeable if your styles are also pulled from the stick (and even more noticeable if you're writing audio onto the stick at the same time).

If you do the registrations on user memory and they employ internal styles, you won't have an issue copying them to your stick and playing them back on another T4. But if you're using custom styles that are stored in user, they won't load up properly unless you copy them to the exact same folder path on another unit.

What I do now, for portablility (I can do my demos on any instrument) is the registrations and styles are on my usb. Yes, it can cause hiccups, but for the most part I can live with it.

On the Genos, I record audio to the HD since it's steady and fast

Mark

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »
"
If you do the registrations on user memory and they employ internal styles, you won't have an issue copying them to your stick and playing them back on another T4. But if you're using custom styles that are stored in user, they won't load up properly unless you copy them to the exact same folder path on another unit."

=====================================================
Oh boy, that sort of task, requires knowledge of the Tyros.
I don't suppose you could provide examples, one "good" and one "bad", of folder paths!
Thank you.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
If you want your registrations to link to user styles you must make sure that once linked those styles are never moved or altered in anyway. If you want to play other Tyros 4 keyboards you must also save these custom styles to USB and then link your registrations from there. We always had to do this when having our forum meetings because people were playing someone else's keyboards most of the time.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 05:03:36 PM »
Eileen, thank you
the term "link"; am i making too much of this half understood term?

Does link mean a particular registration content must be honored.,,, not altered?
Sorry my language is so un -tyros

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 06:28:09 PM »
Oh boy, that sort of task, requires knowledge of the Tyros.
I don't suppose you could provide examples, one "good" and one "bad", of folder paths!
Thank you.

There is no good or bad folder path. There are only "the same" and "not the same".

Let us know if you don't know what "the same" means.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 09:20:59 PM »
NO MAN EVER STEPS IN THE SAME RIVER TWICE, FOR ITS NOT THE SAME RIVER AND HE’S NOT THE SAME MAN. – HERACLITUS  ;)

I am hoping I will cognize the paths correctly

Lately it seems manual bass is softer  relative to right hand

I am btw paying a tech guy to help
But “you guys” are invaluable too.. in my quest to get out of beginner standing  ;)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:26:16 PM by sugarplumsss »

Offline adrianed

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 09:38:47 PM »
My current way is to store My own registrations and the many styles I use to make them all on the T5 own internal HD, by doing this I reduce the chance of them being split up.
When I set up my T2 years ago I stored the registrations On its internal HD and the Styles used in them on A USB drive, a problem with this is that I lost setups in ignorance and mistakes by removing the USB device not realising doing so would stop my registrations from working properly
The only hesitation that comes to mind now is how much free space is left on the HDD
Currently I have 715 registrations and adding all the time
Adrian

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:40:04 PM by adrianed »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »
Sugarplum, *are* you using the built in styles? If so, you have nothing to worry about.

If not, there is *no* harm in using styles on your USB stick (as long as you don't keep re-organizing the folders). You can organize them by type (Pop, Rock, Latin) and sub folder the way Yamaha does to keep things organized. Try to avoid having more than 255 files in a single folder (as a lot of older Yamahas used a single byte to identify items in a folder, so you'd create an overrun error if you exceeded 255 items). which is why you *do* need folders, you can't just put all your custom styles in the root of your usb/user drive.

If your styles and registrations are in the same device, as Adrian mentions, you will also be fine.

Like I said, I now leave *everything* on the USB for portability, but accept that there are occasional slowdown hiccups. (if you do that, you *should* back up your USb stick every time you have a significant update, like a new collection of styles, finished a new registration, etc)

Mark