Author Topic: [RESOLVED]Touch feature of the screen KO.  (Read 2639 times)

[RESOLVED]Touch feature of the screen KO.
« on: November 30, 2021, 06:22:45 PM »
My touch screen no longer works. The screen is OK. The sound is OK. Only the "touch screen" is KO.

Yesterday, switch on, ... no answer from the screen when I touch it.
I touch it several times, and then, it works again all along I play the Genos.

Today, switch on, blocked screen again....
I touch it several times more. Nothing first... Then I touch it, the Genos answers 10/15 seconds later first.
Then, 1 or 2 minutes later, I touch an area on the screen, and it's another area that is selected, with difficulties.

Then the screen was blocked .... totally ...
Full factory reset after backup ... Nothing new.

My father and I have had Yamaha hardware for around 45 years. And it's the first major issue with around 10 different Electones, Synthesizers, Racks or Keyboards.
Regards.
Soundphase
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:19:11 AM by soundphase »

Offline EileenL

Re: Touch feature of the screen KO.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 11:19:02 PM »
Have you tried recalibrating the screen.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 05:55:54 AM »
Hello Eileen,

Thank you for four answer.

No I didn’t try it. But now, I can no longer access options that are not accessible with buttons.

But I will try. But as the issue appeared progressively, I think there is a problem with a sensor.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
Impossible to go to the Utility option for the calibration.

I just applied the 2.10 firmware => no change. The touch screen doesn't work.

I saw there is a technical hardware test: "057 touch screen".

Does someone know what this test is doing, and the results ?

I wonder if there was no dust located on the sensor itself.

Regards
Soundphase.

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 12:03:03 PM »
Impossible to go to the Utility option for the calibration.

I just applied the 2.10 firmware => no change. The touch screen doesn't work.

I saw there is a technical hardware test: "057 touch screen".

Does someone know what this test is doing, and the results ?

I wonder if there was no dust located on the sensor itself.

Regards
Soundphase.

Hi Soundphase,

this is the description of Test item "057 "Touch Screen Check":

Checks whether touch panel works properly or not.

1) Press the [START/STOP] button, and “ □ ” mark and “Touch Screen Left Upper” is shown on the LCD (touch panel).
   2) Touch the center (red point) of the “□” mark at the upper left.
   3) Touch the center (red point) of each “□” mark in the order of upper right, lower right, lower left and center according to the instruction on the LCD.
   4) Confirm that “OK” appears on the LCD upon completion.
   5) Press the [START/STOP] button to exit the TEST item.

NOTE: As calibration is also done during this check, the calibration data is stored in the MAIN ROM.

I recommend to perform this Test item on your Genos. If you need the complete description of the Genos Test Program, you can contact me via PM.

P.S.
If you have attached a screen protection film to the Genos touch screen, please remove it as a test. Especially if such a film is cut a little too large, this can prevent the Genos touch screen from working properly.

It is also important that there are no dust deposits, scraps of paper or the like on the outer edges of the touch screen. This can also impair the function of the touch screen.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 12:04:08 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: soundphase

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 05:01:31 PM »
I already cleaned the screen, but following your advice concerning outer edges, I slipped a sheet of paper between the Genos frame and the screen.
I then moved this sheet along the frame and removed some large dust and a big hair

And I switch the Genos on ... And it now seems to work !!!! ..

I switched off/on 3 times.  Always OK ....

Perhaps the dust or the hair were just in front of sensors .... Perhaps the 2.10 changed something (I don't think so) ...

I will test further, and come back here for the conclusions.

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards
Soundphase

Offline overover

Re: [SEEMS RESOLVED]Touch feature of the screen KO.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, Soundphase! I am pleased that the touch screen problem has been solved for the time being.

The Genos display is (technically seen) a "resistive" touch screen (unlike tablet computers and smartphones, which usually have a "capacitive" touch screen).

For problems with the Genos touch screen, as I said, it should be ensured that the edges of the screen (at the transition to the black plastic mount) are free of dust, lint, paper particles, etc. (Possibly clean it carefully with a vacuum cleaner.) Although fingerprints on the genos display can affect readability, but normally they do not affect the function of the touch screen.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 03:00:34 AM »
I often vacuum my Genos, keys included. We don't want strange little bits getting down into places they don't belong! Glad you resolved it.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline soryt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 12:22:28 PM »
Dont forget to use a dust cover for the times you dont play  8)

:)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 01:31:26 PM »
I often vacuum my Genos, keys included. We don't want strange little bits getting down into places they don't belong! Glad you resolved it.

I am the same Lee, I hoover the keys and in between the keys and case.
I do it with a flat nozzle and gets any skin or hairs out of the way. Starting to peel a little in my old age.
I use glasses cleaner for the black part and screen. The Glasses cleaner stops things getting shiny.
New kitchen cloth dampened slightly for the keys and then over with a microfibre cloth.
I have a mild form of Psoriasis which is a pain and my ears get flaky. A pain with earphones.
I use a paint brush and a damp cloth to solve the ear pad problem.
Anyone reading this Farmologie Pink Grapefruit moistureizer almost takes away Psoriasis symptoms, but you have to keep it up.
Hey lee i cream my nut every night before bedtime as getting flakey is a curse. Musn't grumble ,it could be worse at 70. ;D

All the best
John :) :) :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 01:58:17 PM »
Good advice as always, John! I never considered you a "flake" ;D.

I am disappointed with Yamaha's choice of cover for the Genos. It's so hard to keep clean. I don't have oily skin and yet my cover has dull marks in the primary touch areas. You use a bit of window cleaner on a microfiber cloth? I've thought of trying that but was afraid the black paint would come off.

My #1 Registration button is complete white now. No number left. Yamaha really dropped the ball on some things.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Re: [RESOLVED]Touch feature of the screen KO.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »
I confirm: No more issue.