Author Topic: GNS-MS01 / Plus the Bose Companion 5  (Read 2064 times)

Mike2

GNS-MS01 / Plus the Bose Companion 5
« on: November 29, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »
After reading the feedback on the Bose L1 Pro 8, I started to play around with my Bose Companion 5 speakers for my pc.
The GNS-MS01 sound good, but after using the Aux out of my Genos to the Bose Companion 5, it gave is a nice lift.  I hear the MS01 and the Bose at the same time, and the Bose have that sound advantage.  It's not a setup to gig with, but after owning about ever Bose, L1 model 2 with Tone Match, the Bose Compact, Lukas Nano 300 and 600, also tried 2 Yamaha HS8 speakers. Finally 2 Bose S1 my ears haven't forgotten the quality. Not to knock the MS01, but they don't give you any quality near to Bose.  With that said, I am now itching to maybe try the Bose L1 Pro 8.  One of my main concerns would be, the room at home that I mostly play in, is 12 x 14. I don't think after trying this hookup with my Bose Companion 5 that stereo would be an issue. When I owned the Bose L1 model 2 I had the Tyros 5. Plus the Tone Match which to me is the heart of it that L1 system.  It was a great pa, but a little costly and heavy. But the bass and projection was there. So I shall keep reading feedback, and if anyone has had different Bose to compare with now the GNS-MS01. These are very good Yamaha speakers, but once you have heard the best it's hard to settle.

Offline Paula

Re: GNS-MS01 / Plus the Bose Companion 5
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 08:35:08 PM »
 :)Hi I have the Bose L1 mod 2 with tone match , yes it sounds great
 I also just bought 2 Bose S1 pro system they sound great, I am thinking about selling  my Bose L1 with the tone match , I love the set up of the Bose s1 pro so easy  to set up and now I have stereo 
     Paula :)
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Genos 1,Tyros 4 and Bose S1 Pro, Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
Mike, what is the cost comparison of the Bose Companion 5 vs. the MS01 speakers?

I'm running two L1 Pro8 speakers at close range - perhaps 4 to 5 feet away from my Genos. They are very listenable at low levels, and the phasing is so accurate that even when I push them to near show levels, they don't hurt my ears. I single Pro8 would be fine in the size of room you described. You'd want some padding on the floor or opposite wall. Then you'd be good for home listening or a gig for up to 120 people and projection in a room 60 feet deep.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Mike2

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:02:51 PM »
I have had the Bose Companion 5 for over 10 years. I paid $399 and the MS01 cost about the same.  It's no big deal hooking them up with the MS01, but controlling volume from each speaker set, you can hear the highs on the Bose so much better. The Companion 5 are great pc speakers. I don't think they sell them anymore.

I'm glad you are enjoying your Bose Pro 8. Hard to beat Bose. The previous 2 Bose S1 were good, but the bass really wasn't there for me. Maybe I will go to Guitar Center and tease myself with the Bose Pro 8 if they have any demo's.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the update, Mike. I had two L1 Compacts and enjoyed them. I decided to move up to the Pro 8s because my Compacts were going on 10 years old. The Pro8s have far better definition in the high frequencies and deeper bass. They aren't cheap but what is these days >:(?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

So I'm reading this thread with a great deal of interest last night; regarding Bose products.

It suddenly occurred to me that I also have a Bose speaker set-- the almighty Bose Companion 2's

Bought them ten years ago for the psr 910 that I had..

They sounded great, so just for laughs I hooked them up to my Genos.  and sure enough those two old speakers sound wonderful; perhaps not like the big brothers.,but quite nice just the same.

So I got to fiddling around with the line out feature.  Here I put all the percussions and a couple of multi-pads to play out of the Bose companions..

I was delightfully surprised by the results.. The sound separation is a pleasure to listen to. Some sounds come out of the genos speakers and other sounds play on the companions..

For me it was a good find and I thank those who contributed to this thread.

I recommend you try this if you haven't already.

regards

Ron

PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 09:40:23 PM »
Brilliant, Ron. Thanks for the tip!

Mike2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:51 PM »
That is exactly what I am hearing with the MS01 and the Companion 5 together. I am able to get more out of either speaker, the MS01 or the Companion 5.  If I use only the Companion 5, it sounds ok, plenty of bass, but something missing. While I inject the MS01 sound it really complements the overall sound.  So, I am no sound engineer, but now that I have experimented with the Bose Companion 5, that is what I play with. The more that I listen to the Bose Companion 5, the more that I see the quality missing with the MS01.  I am also glad that the Companion 2 has worked as well. Once again this set up would not work for gigs, but for home, it's awesome.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »
Hello Mike2

did you try the line out to separate sounds.

There's a whole new world of entertainment to experiment with

Go to menu>line out>percussion.

Hook up your speakers to sub one and two.

Check the reference manual to see how this works.

I know you likely can do this in your sleep, but there are members out there who may be new to this..
I know I was till Iread this thread

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Mike2

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:54 PM »
 Ron, I have tried this, and it is great.
Thanks...