Author Topic: UPS  (Read 1553 times)

bobn1944

UPS
« on: November 29, 2021, 05:28:38 AM »
Hi all
I would be obliged if someone could ​take a look at the link below.
Would this UPS be suitable for my SX900 & possibly a desktop computer.

Thanks in advance
Bob

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/apc-easy-ups-bv800i-mst-800va480watt-ups-for-gaming-play-station-10-15-i444136570-s822308330.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.78594e76ICJNFJ&search=1&freeshipping=1

Live Musician Newbie

Re: UPS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 07:39:26 AM »
For every keyboard I've owned, I do not connect it directly to the mains, but connect it via UPS
- Saves me from fluctuations to some extent
- Gives me a backup for 10 or so minutes in case the power is out, and I can save my work.

I can't give you a specific YES, as I believe the voltage is different in different countries.
Please check the voltage in your area vs what's required (Whether its 230v or 110v) for your instrument and check if your UPS is also giving you the same output and safely go ahead.
It would be a pain to switch on the UPS and then switch on your PSR, but trust me it would save you in the long run from a possible failure, in the long run (especially if you are out of warranty)

Last part
If you are looking to share the same UPS with your desktop AND your instrument, I would not advice you to do that.

UPS have a smaller capacity battery (power source) that can sustain a minimal load at a minimum time.
Overloading it would degrade its performance over time and probably even cause it to cut off suddenly without enough warnings (beeps)

Either, get a separate UPS for your instrument, OR get a higher capacity (bigger) UPS.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:42:25 AM by Live Musician Newbie »

Offline MikeS

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 07:52:24 AM »
This UPS is  800VA/480W standby UPS. The mains power is passed through the UPS via a filter to the equipment. When the UPS detects a problem with the mains supply the UPS switches to battery operation and provides a simulated sinewave (stepped square wave) mains power to the equipment. Most equipment will tolerate the simulated sinewave mains power but I have seen equipment power supplies go up in smoke when a standby simulated sinewave UPS is on battery and running >50% load. As long as all equipment attached to the UPS has a valid CE mark (certified to EC96 or later) all should be ok.

Power drain of the SX900 is 24W leaving enough power for a non-gaming desktop PC. The video card in a gaming PC can draw a lot of power, a 1000W+ UPS may be required just for a gaming PC.

The next step up in UPS equipment is a standby UPS with a pure sinewave output then an online double conversion pure sinewave UPS.

An alternative to APC is CyberPower, cheaper and better than APC.

Equivalent CyberPower UPS  https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cyberpower-br700elcd-bric-lcd-700va-420w-simulated-sine-wave-ups-ab80313
Standby pure sinewave UPS https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cyberpower-cp900epfclcda-pfc-sinewave-900va-540w-ups-tower-with-lcd-ab89747
Online pure sinewave UPS   https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cyberpower-online-s-series-ols1000e-tower-1000va-900w-pure-sine-wave-ups-ab88116
Equivalent CyberPower UPS's should be available in Thailand.

I use the 1500VA version of the last link with an additional external battery pack but it drives all networking equipment, NAS, Security system, TV  and Genos. Been operational for over 2 years with numerous power failures and I have never had any issues with the UPS or equipment attached to the UPS.

bobn1944

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 07:55:55 AM »
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I can tell you here in Thailand the electricity supply is 220v as is the PRS.

Does this info influence your reply at all?
Bob

bobn1944

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
Thanks for your replies.
My desktop doesn't have to be connected to the UPS.
It isn't exactly a 'gaming computer' although do I play some simulation games.
It isn't high spec.

Thanks
Bob

Offline MikeS

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:36:44 AM »
You can run your PC but run time will be reduced. The APC spec does not state run time, the CyberPower specs state 1min at full power and 9min at half power. With PC attached you will probably get 9min. With just the Sx900 you may get 20min+, not enough info to get actual run time.

To get longer run time you have to go to a bigger UPS with more batteries or a UPS that has an option to connect external battery packs. All at a much higher cost.

bobn1944

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 10:53:36 AM »
Thanks for everyone's help.
I'm not too worried about power cuts with the PC.
It's more the PSR I'm concerned with.
I think I'll buy the one in the link, It's not really expensive & will give me adequate protection for the PRS.

Thank you all for your input

Bob