Author Topic: Any pianists using the DGX670?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline stephenm52

Any pianists using the DGX670?
« on: August 05, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
I'm looking for a digital piano for use in a seasonal home. The DGX670 has caught my attention but my concern is the action for a pianist like myself may not be on par with digital pianos made primarily for playing piano and not having arranger features.  Are there any pianists who've purchased a DGX670 and as a pianist are you satisfied with the action?   I have a Clavinova CVP 307 which from my understanding it primarily a piano and has the GH3 ( graded hammer action) that makes it responsive in a similar way to a grand piano.   Below are descriptions of a couple of Yamaha digital piano actions. One found in the CVP307 and the other in the DGX670.

Graded Hammer Effect 3 (GH3): This action is found on Yamaha’s more expensive pianos, suitable for the intermediate and the advanced pianists. This mechanism provides greater accuracy and is easier to play repetitive passages faster, that is required by the experienced players.

found in the DGX 670 Graded Hammer Standard (GHS): This action is available on most entry level digital pianos of Yamaha. The GHS action is well-suited for the beginner pianist.

Any feedback you can provide is appreciated.
Thanks!

GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Re: Any pianists using the DGX670?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »
Hi Stephenm52

I have recently purchased a DGX670 I also have the P515 which has the NWX action and regularly play a CVP709 (NWX action) at church. Obviously the NWX action is better than the GHS action of the DGX but in my opinion playing piano on the DGX is perfectly acceptable, in fact I was very pleasantly surprised, I have played an awful lot of acoustic pianos with worse action. I guess if you are a serious Classical pianist this would not be the instrument for you but that isn’t it’s target market. The DGX670 shares many of the features found in the CVP701 so you should find several improvements over your CVP309. As I am sure you know it is difficult to advise others and if you can find one to try before you take the plunge that would be best but in my opinion the DGX represents excellent value for money and I have no regrets with my purchase.

Regards

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
Hi Stephenm52

I have recently purchased a DGX670 I also have the P515 which has the NWX action and regularly play a CVP709 (NWX action) at church. Obviously the NWX action is better than the GHS action of the DGX but in my opinion playing piano on the DGX is perfectly acceptable, in fact I was very pleasantly surprised, I have played an awful lot of acoustic pianos with worse action. I guess if you are a serious Classical pianist this would not be the instrument for you but that isn’t it’s target market. The DGX670 shares many of the features found in the CVP701 so you should find several improvements over your CVP309. As I am sure you know it is difficult to advise others and if you can find one to try before you take the plunge that would be best but in my opinion the DGX represents excellent value for money and I have no regrets with my purchase.

Regards

Musicmanrgd,  You've given me exactly the the feedback I was looking for.  Although a portion of my background was in Classical music as the years have gone by I play less of it.    Based on your feedback of being pleasantly surprised with its action.  I'm more likely to purchase one.  A bonus to it all is your comment it has several improvements over the CVP and that it share many of the features of the CVP 701.  Thank you, your comments are appreciated!

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:03:55 PM »
You are very welcome, glad to be of assistance.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 09:33:50 PM »
My search was a long one didn't realize it was back on August 5th that I first posted this question. Almost 4 months later I'm finally getting the DGX670 but in between I looked at everything from the Roland RD88 to the Yamaha P515, even Casio. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

quasar

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 04:58:19 AM »
Hi stephenm52

I also began my musical formation with Classical pieces when I was a child, with a Wurlitzer acoustic piano

Then I bought a Casio PX830 with a good touch and sensitivity. Nowadays I have  a brand new DGX 670 and  I’m playing it during the last 4 months and I’ve encountered a little bit soft initially but with so many hours practicing you get familiar with it.

I bought this digital piano for its arranger capabilities and for the piano touch, I wouldn't get used to a synthesizer keyboard touch, I need to feel the hammer action and a wide range of 88 keys.

You’ll get pleasantly surprised with its features, it’ s not an SX but it responds with sufficiency.

Anyway, I have a good opinion of this keyboard, the piano sound is excellent, it allows you to develop and create styles, load Styles from other sources, record with very good quality in wav format,etc and have a lot of fun.

Regards
Carlos

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
Hi stephenm52

I also began my musical formation with Classical pieces when I was a child, with a Wurlitzer acoustic piano

Then I bought a Casio PX830 with a good touch and sensitivity. Nowadays I have  a brand new DGX 670 and  I’m playing it during the last 4 months and I’ve encountered a little bit soft initially but with so many hours practicing you get familiar with it.

I bought this digital piano for its arranger capabilities and for the piano touch, I wouldn't get used to a synthesizer keyboard touch, I need to feel the hammer action and a wide range of 88 keys.

You’ll get pleasantly surprised with its features, it’ s not an SX but it responds with sufficiency.

Anyway, I have a good opinion of this keyboard, the piano sound is excellent, it allows you to develop and create styles, load Styles from other sources, record with very good quality in wav format,etc and have a lot of fun.

Regards
Carlos

Carlos thanks for your comments on the DGX670.  Although I can play piano solo style on the Genos, it just doesn't have that hammer action touch we both were looking for. 

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks