Author Topic: There's one thing I realy don't like about my new Genos  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Dutchman

There's one thing I realy don't like about my new Genos
« on: November 27, 2021, 03:36:40 AM »
There's one thing I realy don't like about my Genos.

Since I got it this week my days are to short and I don't get my chores done around the house!!!

This arranger is absolutely amazing and I just can't pull myself away from it.
The guy from the shop where I bought it already warned me about the huge leap I was making by going from a PSR3000 to the Genos but frankly that was an understatement.

I was a bit reluctant considering the price but boy it's definitely worth it when you can afford it, something I couldn't for a long time.

I'm just finding my way around with all the possibilities and I still have a lot to learn but the sound quality and the ease of making great sounding music is simply fantastic.
I'm 56 years old and learned to play organ at age five, later I took piano lessons, I bought my first keyboard, a PSR400, when I got married 29 years ago since I couldn't take the piano or the organ with me but never have I enjoyed making music as I do now.

The Genos is an amazing instrument and I feel very fortunate to own one.

I just wanted to get this off my chest.

Offline Stijn

Re: There's one thing I realy don't like about my new Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
And there is more to discover! Just you wait!!!

Amazing keyboard.

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Same here!! I absolutely love it!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »
Dutchman,
Congratulations, glad you like your new Genos. I have had mine three years and I am still learning and discovering new things. It would be my guess that most people in this group only use about 75% of what the Genos can do.

If you're not learning every day, you're not using it enough!

Rick D.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
Congrats Dutchman.

I’ve had my Genos for about three years now and discover something new about its capabilities every time I turn it on.  😁

It will be interesting to see how Yamaha might improve upon this amazing keyboard.
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
Thank you guys!!

Yes, it's a very nice instrument.
Fortunatly my wife loves music too so no complaints coming from her either, the neighbours though lol.
I'll definitely post some questions here on the forums with so much to learn but I know this to be a very helpfull place with a lot of friendly people.

Best regards,
Elko

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 05:29:27 PM »
And there is more to discover! Just you wait!!!
Amazing keyboard.
Stijn

Amen! I'll be keeping and playing this one for a very long time -- pj

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2021, 11:10:27 PM »
Well my friend you are definitely the Flying Dutchman with that polishing duster ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline markstyles

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 06:06:14 PM »
I've been playing since 10.. Gone thru a TON of instruments.   My favorite kbd of all time is Genos, 2nd was my ARP2600 synthesizer from 70's..  But Tyros and now Genos let me create full productions with just this one kbd.  (I do use other kbds).   

The beauty to me is it very quickly lets you see how a new song will work/or not.. Very easy to substitute cords, chord extensions.  In the old days. You had to record 5 or more parts to get a sense if you were going to have a great, mediocre , or lame song.  Genos lets you very quickly refine the song, chords, structure etc.

And yes, because it is such an immediately gratifying instrument. It's hard to walk away from

Offline musicman01

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 08:30:21 AM »
Hi Dutchman, I have my Genos since December 2017 after selling my Tyros 5.
I've been a musician for almost 52 years and built 2 wersi Helios together with my brother,
I have had several Wersi's afterwards such as Spectra CD700, Wersi Abacus Duo Pro, Wersi Scala.
I sold the Scala for the Tyros 5 76, and now the Genos.
A year ago I bought a Korg PA4x 76 Musikant and sold it back 3 months ago because the Genos was much better and faster and also easier to operate.
The Genos is for me the best keyboard on the market at the moment and has the best natural sounds,
I enjoy it every day! I make my own sounds and have sampled the Wersi sounds myself,
and additionally my Genos now works together with a touchscreen notebook and VST packs such as 'IK Multimedia B3-X' and so I have the perfect Hammond sound!

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 04:47:26 PM »
I agree with Dutchman. Good for you! That keyboard will keep you young.

I was an owner of several early PSR keyboards of the mid 80s vintage. They were revolutionary in their day but were basically toys. Yamaha has raised the bar to a keyboard that can still be a "toy" or a full fledged, pro-level keyboard for the big stage. That's a huge jump. This summer, I have some shows booked in major centers, where there's likely to be spectators in the thousands and I'll be playing through some large sound systems. Prior to Covid, I played similar events using my Tyros 5. The sound operators were all amazed at its sound. Wait until they hear the Genos!

In further releases I expect we'll see even better sound processing and the addition of more editing tools. Meanwhile, my Genos has helped get me through the boring days of this Covid nightmare.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

tyrosman

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 09:09:36 AM »
i have to say the best keyboard ever there is so many things you can add like samples and packs and styles need i say more ;)

The following users thanked this post: Oldden

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 12:13:39 PM »
I often wonder how many people know what this keyboard is capable of and indeed how to use it to its best. We have so many adjustments we can do to make it our own and suit us all.

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 01:21:14 PM »
Eileen is right on the money, as usual. The Genos has x number of set ways to do things. What the Yamaha engineers can't know is the number of combinations we users can come up with to satisfy our playing needs. You can "trick" the Genos into doing things that the engineers never thought possible. That's probably why the manuals seem inadequate. Yamaha can't possibly document all our little discovered tricks and workarounds.

Perhaps someone should take that on. They'd make a fortune. I know some people have documented a few Genos scenarios but the possibilities seem only limited by one's talent.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2022, 02:53:39 PM »
TOTL arrangers are like smartphones and computers - you don’t need to know how to do everything to get value and enjoyment, you only need to know how to do what you want to do.
Mike