Author Topic: My Genos Eq & Cmp Settings  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Dnj

My Genos Eq & Cmp Settings
« on: November 26, 2021, 02:26:51 PM »
These are MY GENOS EQ & CMP Settings that I have been using with the
Yamaha MS-01 speaker system.
I am very happy so far using these results ...give them a try & see what you think. 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:19:37 PM by Dnj »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Totomo

Re: My Genos Eq & Cmp Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 11:20:44 PM »
Good of you to post your results, Dnj. I must point out that a gain of 2 to 3 dB is barely 1.2 times perceived volume. I doubt your EQ settings are doing much. It's the compressor settings that are likely making the difference to your ears. You've essentially just turned up the frequency range covered by the two upper speakers. The 10 dB gain at 10K is twice perceived volume! That's an odd setting.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 11:22:11 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 11:24:51 PM »
Lee...I can only go by my own ears and I am satisfied with the results thus far.
It certainly would be interesting to see some others settings to compare with my own...
Thank you for your reply.

Happy Holidays

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 11:52:10 PM »
Agreed, Dnj. One's ears are the final yard stick ;D!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Totomo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »
Thanks Dnj, your EQ setting absolutely work great on SX900 onboard speaker along with KS SW100 sub. Better than EQ gold setup.

I just reduce -2db on 10khz and compressor output drop to 62. Sub woofer volume point to dot 4th.

Since your edited compressor are base on Rich, sometime could make the voice lacking some dynamic.  I change the Tone Curve from normal to hard 1 and become better dynamic playing feel now.

This EQ also make the string voice sound fuller and has " Omph " than before.

Highly recommended to SX900 owner .

Appreciate. Happy playing and happy holiday.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 11:33:26 PM by Totomo »

Offline Dnj

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 01:53:03 PM »
Totomo...
I am so glad you could use these settings as a starting point customized to fit your ears
and SX900 arranger keyboard. Understandable that a tweak here & there makes the overall sound much better then factory for sure. Good Luck with your music & Happy Holidays!

The following users thanked this post: Totomo

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 07:19:18 PM »
Hi

Just use one of the presets and tweak from there until your ears love it. ;)
It should not be too far away from a preset
All it is is like the controls on your hi-fi. Tweak until you gets real Appy'! in it!!!

All the Best
John
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline maartenb

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
You could subtract 1 dB from all frequencies and turn up the volume 1 dB for the same effect.

Thus 250Hz and 450Hz would become 1 dB, the next two frequencies would become 0 dB, and so on. 10kHz would become 9dB.

In essence you made the traditional "smiley face" EQ: increase the lower and higher frequencies and leave the middle frequencies alone. This sounds better on almost all speaker systems, so I understand why you came to these settings.

The +9dB (or 10 dB in your example) for 10kHz is a bit out of the ordinary. I didn't know the MS-01 system was so bad at high frequencies.

Maarten

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 12:55:54 PM »
An increase of 10dB represents twice perceived volume! So, an increase of 9dB is extreme. If you must change the EQ that much, it's either time for a hearing test or time to scrap your speakers and buy decent speakers ;).

Offline Dnj

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »
An increase of 10dB represents twice perceived volume! So, an increase of 9dB is extreme. If you must change the EQ that much, it's either time for a hearing test or time to scrap your speakers and buy decent speakers ;).

Hi Lee
thanx for the reply...

I rarely look at EQ numbers but first use my ears to adjust my sound & these settings sound very good in my current home environment...I assure you there is nothing wrong with my hearing.
Btw I'd like to try your settings to compare if you can also. Happy Holidays.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 03:03:30 PM »
Fully agreed, Dnj. Your ears are the final yardstick, regardless of all the electronic theory.

I'm happy to share my settings but they are customized to my two Bose Pro 8 speakers. They may not mean much. My Genos is still packed from a show I did last week...and probably the last for a while until EVERYONE gets vaccinated. That's the only way humans are going to crush this monster.