Author Topic: Convert GS-MIDI song file to GM and Genos  (Read 2761 times)

Henry Millbrook

Convert GS-MIDI song file to GM and Genos
« on: November 14, 2021, 06:59:48 PM »
What should one remove from the SYS/EX page in StepEdit on a Genos to allow the song to use GM and Genos voices? I cannot read hex and other computer rhubarb, so usually remove all but the tempo and Score Start instructions.

Offline overover

Re: Convert GS-MIDI song file to GM and Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 09:30:33 PM »
Hi Henry,

You can use GS MIDI files directly on the Genos without changing anything, because the Genos is GS compatible and has internal GS Voices. You can also edit such MIDI files (e.g. changing Voices) directly on the Genos and then, as usual, save them again using "MIDI Multi Recording > Setup > Execute > Close >  Save".

To convert GS MIDI files into the Yamaha XG format on the PC, you can use e.g. PSRUTI or MixMaster (Optimize XG function). PSRUTI can also convert MIDI files to GM.
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Henry Millbrook

Re: Convert GS-MIDI song file to GM and Genos
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »
Dear overover: yes, you are right but GS voices don't have the useful code (for example 8-45-56) that the Yamaha voices do and Roland may sound wonderful on a Roland machine but on a Genos they just sound adequate. Editing like you suggest is what I do mainly do at the moment, but fairly often one does that and the playback sticks rigidly to some gremlin-code in the Sys/Ex that says use GS voices. So I have usually just deleted all the Sys/Ex stuff that looks like it might interfere with the voices I wish to use. (I suspect there are codes unseen in the channels that appear to have no events in them.)

Your quick reply spurred me to ask Google: "What does a Roland GS rest look like in hex?" which led me to an article by an Eddie Lotter on www.2writers.com/eddie/TutSysEx.htm and enabled me to answer my own question!