Author Topic: I got my Genos today!!!!  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Dutchman

I got my Genos today!!!!
« on: November 24, 2021, 02:47:25 AM »
After searching the internet extensively I fortunatly found a music store in the Netherlands who had the Genos available, and for a good price too.
I also got the speakers and the black stand with it.

Coming from a psr3000 that served me well for over 13 years I must say that the Genos is quite overwhelming.
The voices are incredible, I'm truly impressed, and so are the styles.

I do think the MS01 speakers sound a bit bland though, mid range sounds a bit hollow imho.
I'm trying the EQ Gold settings now and they do sound better but I did expect better quality speakers, imho the buildt in speakers from the PSR3000 are better even.
The din cable for the sub woofer is a pain though, I can imagine that people going to gigs aren't happy with that, fortunatly I got my Genos in the living room and it just stays there.

It came with version 2.0 and updating to 2.02 was quite easy.
Also all my old psr3000 styles work, although they do need some tweaking and I'll have to insert the much nicer voices from the Genos.

I'm in for a whole new learning curve and will probably drop some questions along the way if you don't mind.
I already found some very helpfull posts on this forum for which I'm very gratefull.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: I got my Genos today!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 04:08:00 AM »
Congratulations. You'll love the Genos.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:27:07 AM »
WOOOOOW !!!🌟🌟🌟

Congratulations with your new Genos.
The best arranger ever ! 😀

JH
Another Flying Dutchman
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 08:30:51 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:52:59 AM »
Congratulations! Have you adjusted the two knobs in the sub? One in front and one at the back of the unit? Also turn the satelite speakers toward you.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Congratulations. You are in for some great playing and enjoyment. Do try the speakers as Toril suggests. Try the on board settings for EQ and compressor. They can make a big difference.

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 01:15:34 PM »
Thank you so much!!

I turned the button on the back of the subwoofer to full and the one in the front approximately two third, I tried different settings with the front one, when fully turned the neighbours might become slightly agitated :-)

I also turned the satellite speakers towards me, saw that tip on youtube, and I'm using the EQ Gold settings that I found here on the forums.
I have no idea what the compressor settings do, like texture etc.

I'm genuinely happy with the Genos, maybe I just need to get used to the different sound characteristics compared to the PSR3000.
The plethora of voices, styles and arranging options are staggering though, ugh a keyboard player's dream!!

At the moment I'm fidgeting with the rotary settings which I think are a bit to fast, I found a couple very informative and helpfull posts here on the forum, you people rock, so much knowledge, simply fantastic!

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
All good comments. The Genos is excellent right out of the box but rather bland. After you discover the many adjustments for the sounds and effects, you'll hear a huge difference. Congrats!

(We were in Amsterdam a few years before Covid. My dad was in the RCAF in WWII. The Dutch really like us Canadians :). It was a very pleasant trip and visit to your country!)
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 02:29:59 PM »
Hi Dutchman,

Yamaha keyboards are set by default so that a relatively high playing strength is necessary to achieve higer velocities.

I recommend that you check the Touch Response setting of the keyboard and adapt it to your playing style.

Touch Response determines how the sound responds to your playing strength. The selected Touch Response type becomes the common setting for all voices. You can make the settings on the display called up via [MENU] > Keyboard/Joystick > Keyboard > Initial Touch > Touch Curve.

Preferably try the "Easy 2" and "Easy 1" settings. Personally, I like "Easy 2" best. In contrast to the "Soft" settings (known from earlier models), the "Easy" settings do not limit the dynamic range that can be used. You can still play very quietly, which is no longer possible with "Soft 2", for example.

See also page 39 in the Genos Reference Manual and the attached picture.

By the way, to save settings in displays that have no Save option, be sure to CLOSE the respective setting display by pressing the "Exit" button or touching the "X" symbol. (So do NOT leave the setting display open in the background.)

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dutchman

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »
I have no idea what the compressor settings do, like texture etc.

Hi Dutchman

congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy a good sound. Wait a bit for “your ear” to get used to the new speakers.

Watch this video, I hope it will explain your doubts about the compressor. Include English subtitles.

https://youtu.be/MlgO9oSXkDY
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Rich Z, Dutchman

Offline Del B

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 04:11:11 PM »
congrats on getting your new keys

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 05:31:40 PM »
Thank you Chris and Ckobu for the tips.

Chris, I had it set to soft 2 but I will surely try one of the easy settings, just a matter of getting used to how much force you use while playing I guess but if the easy settings give a better result then that's preferable.
Close setting displays before saving, got it!

Ckobu, I'll watch the video later today, thanks!

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 06:20:27 PM »
Thank you Chris and Ckobu for the tips.

Chris, I had it set to soft 2 but I will surely try one of the easy settings, just a matter of getting used to how much force you use while playing I guess but if the easy settings give a better result then that's preferable.
Close setting displays before saving, got it!

Thanks for the quick feedback, Dutchman!

What I actually meant: With many setting displays, changes are automatically saved (in the so-called "System Setup") when the display is closed. If such displays are not explicitly closed, but remain open in the background, one wonders why the changes made disappeared again after a restart. ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 12:27:54 AM »
Thanks for the quick feedback, Dutchman!

What I actually meant: With many setting displays, changes are automatically saved (in the so-called "System Setup") when the display is closed. If such displays are not explicitly closed, but remain open in the background, one wonders why the changes made disappeared again after a restart. ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you for the explanation, it makes sense though but I can see the error you can make here.

On a different topic, I said in my first post that I was a bit disappointed in the sound quality of the speakers.
I take that back.
When I was trying the Genos out it was late in the evening and I couldn't use much volume, the standard eq settings are quite lacking on low volume imho even with the front button on the subwoofer on full.
I'm now using the EQ Gold settings and the sound is much better.
At higher volumes I dial down the button on the woofer and on low volume I turn it to full, also turning the satellite speakers towards you helps.

Regards,
Elko

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 02:11:28 AM »
Hi Dutchman

congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy a good sound. Wait a bit for “your ear” to get used to the new speakers.

Watch this video, I hope it will explain your doubts about the compressor. Include English subtitles.

I watched the video but it's going way over my head, he has a lot of other very informative videos though.
The only setting in the master compressor that I understood was the output, I turned it a bit up and now I have a much higher volume range which is nice.
I'm glad people like him are there explaining these things, me not getting it is just my lack of knowledge.
My Genos sounds quite good now though, using other's recommendations, I'm happy with the sound now.

Regards,
Elko

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 07:40:43 PM »
Hi Dutchman

Very nice. Thank you!  I found it interesting to note that small section in the video about adjusting settings for the individual components of the drum kits.  I was wondering if that was possible to do.  Now I just have to watch the video again more closely so I can figure out exactly what you were doing there.   :)
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline ckobu

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 08:13:07 PM »
Hi Rick,

I'm glad you watched the video in detail. An important detail of what interests you is at 16:21 (pic 1) where you can see me adding a compressor to the Variation Effect. I set it as Insert. Importantly, the amount of Variation effect should only be added to the element we want to act on with the Compressor. (pic 2) On other elements Variation must be at 0.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 03:28:34 AM »
Hi Rick,

I'm glad you watched the video in detail. An important detail of what interests you is at 16:21 (pic 1) where you can see me adding a compressor to the Variation Effect. I set it as Insert. Importantly, the amount of Variation effect should only be added to the element we want to act on with the Compressor. (pic 2) On other elements Variation must be at 0.

Ugh, I just realised that you are the person making those videos, my apologies for being so daft.
There are quite some videos I'm definitely going to watch.
Thank you so much for you contribution, of course I subscribed to your channel.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 08:42:56 AM »
Hi Dutchman,

You were probably confused by the different nickname. But fortunately, the hat is the same  ;D
A compressor is a very complex tool and not everyone understands how it works. It takes a little practice and learning.
It is enough that you have noticed that with Output you get a little energy. Don’t overdo it, the rule applies, less is more.
Speaking of setting up the keyboard, maybe the video for EQ will be easier for you to understand, watch it.

https://youtu.be/vPzkYHt80jQ

best regards, ckobu - casper - tutorsynth ;D
Watch my video channel

The following users thanked this post: Dutchman

Offline Dutchman

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 03:04:59 PM »
Hi Dutchman,

You were probably confused by the different nickname. But fortunately, the hat is the same  ;D
A compressor is a very complex tool and not everyone understands how it works. It takes a little practice and learning.
It is enough that you have noticed that with Output you get a little energy. Don’t overdo it, the rule applies, less is more.
Speaking of setting up the keyboard, maybe the video for EQ will be easier for you to understand, watch it.

https://youtu.be/vPzkYHt80jQ

I'll definitely watch your video about the eq settings.
You've got quite a number of other interesting videos though.
I still have a lot to learn about the Genos and your channel will be of great help.

best regards, ckobu - casper - tutorsynth ;D