Author Topic: mic for Live Singing vs recording  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Al Ram

mic for Live Singing vs recording
« on: November 23, 2021, 10:05:18 PM »
Hello Friends,

I use Genos to play and sing live, using a Shure SM58 microphone and also have a Bose L1 system. I connect the microphone to the Genos mic input.   So, Genos output and mic they both go together into the Bose L1 as one thru the Genos line out / main / L/L+R.

I am satisfied with the results for live performance.

However, when trying to do a recording thru Genos, i am not satisfied with the resulting audio wav file.  Genos styles and voices sound good, however, my voice sounds with some distortion . . . . . and in general i don't like my resulting voice in the recording . . . . . . I use the Genos audio quick recording feature .

I know that when one hears himself in recording we think we did sing differently, but i think this is something technical beyond my basic knowledge of recording . . . .

I have also tried recording the Genos first to create a back tracking and then sing over that . . . but the results are not that much better. 

I really do not have experience recording . . . . but I am thinking that maybe i should use a different mic for recording ? if so, any suggestions ?

thanks in advance.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline ckobu

Re: mic for Live Singing vs recording
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:27:07 PM »
Hi Al Ram,

for recording, I would recommend a slightly better / higher quality microphone. It all depends on how much money you are willing to invest.
But with SM58 you can do a good job too. First of all, the settings in the microphone setting need to be adjusted correctly.

On this topic you have a link to my videos in which I explain the use of VH2.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,60343.0.html
Watch the first video where I described the setup. Pay attention to the Gain knob.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »
thanks a lot for your prompt response. 

I will certainly take a look at the link/videos.

thanks again
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 06:38:00 AM »
Hi Al,

In addition to setting the microphone gain correctly (as mentioned by Casper), please note that you have to check the Audio recording level and set it to a suitable value if needed: Practice the part (sing into the microphone) to check the level and adjust the recording volume on the “Monitor” meter and the corresponding slider on the display. Adjust so that the volume doesn’t constantly go into the “red” and light up the indicator.

Maybe the recording volume is set slightly too high, so that the keyboard sound is still undistorted, but when you add the vocals (which often increases the overall level), distortion occurs.

Please see page 91 in the Genos V2.0 Owner's Manual as well as the attached picture.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 06:44:23 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »
All good advice, Al. The SM58 is an excellent work horse mic for the stage but mediocre for recording. Also, don't go crazy with the effects. Many people tend to overuse vocal effects to make them sound "professional." That often backfires by sending source signal levels too high and into the red zone, as Chris wrote.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 02:52:50 AM »
Your problem is you are trying to sing LOUDER than the accompaniment of your keyboard and you can't do that. You get the  distortion.

Adjust the style's Volume from 100 to 70. Re-adjust your OTS to match your style's  lower volume setting.

Your mic setting leave it at 100.

Then record yourself with the keyboard's recorder and it should to fine.

All the Yamaha keyboard's are set up (balanced) for playing solo and not for singing. I redo all my styles and then save them as a custom style on my USB stick, as I always sing when performing.

I would also think that sending the line out to your PA system you are also getting a similar distortion.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:01:26 AM by DrakeM »

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 11:01:45 PM »
At the level most of us are aiming for, the SM58 should be a good enough mic if you set it up well.
 As Lee pointed out there are very high quality mics used in recording, but the cost difference from an SM58 is not modest, as typically they can cost several thousand dollars. You might spend that if you are going to record in Elton John, or Andrea Bocelli  …… but probably not one of us🤤

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 02:02:24 AM »
Your SM58 is just an SM57 with a wind screen and while your Genos may not have the high quality preamps and processing of a pro studio, the SM57/58 when setup properly and care is used in mic technique, should give more than acceptable results either live or recording. Whether the SM58 is a good fit for 'your' voice is another can of worms altogether.

Below is a comparison video of a few higher end mics with the SM57 towards the end.

https://youtu.be/xS18hqLV_NQ

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 09:07:48 AM »
Mark, you make a good point about the limitations of the Genos, the mic is not the only link in the chain. My brother’s recording studio has Neumann U87s with Genelec monitors and top of the line processing. No weak links, and the quality of vocal recording and playback is amazing. But the cost is also amazing. The wooden hand made storage boxes for the U87s each cost more than an SM57. Most people don’t need to go this far to make decent recordings.
Mike