Author Topic: Detective work!  (Read 2507 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Detective work!
« on: November 23, 2021, 03:39:49 AM »
Same volume for two registrations in same bank
Same eq

YET one left hand bass is significantly louder

There are a number of possibilities to trouble shoot
Please advise
Thanks
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline overover

Re: Detective work!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 07:48:35 AM »
Same volume for two registrations in same bank
Same eq

YET one left hand bass is significantly louder

There are a number of possibilities to trouble shoot
Please advise
Thanks

Hi sugarplumsss,

Even if the volume of the Left Voice and the values ​​of the Part EQ are set the same in the Mixing Console, the settings in the VOICE SET can be different, for example the internal volume of the Voice or the values ​​for "Touch Sense Depth" and "Touch Sense Offset" (both in the "COMMON" tab).

If I remember correctly, the center frequency for the Part EQ bands Low and Hi can also be set in the Voice Set of the T4 (in the Mixer, however, only the Gain can be set).

It could also be because "Initial Touch" is switched off in one of the two Registrations. Check whether the "Initial Touch" button lights up, and call up the display "Function > Controller > Keyboard/Panel" for both Registrations and check whether the Touch Sensitivity settings are the same there.

The Effects used could also be the reason for different volume levels. Please check first whether the status of the "DSP" and "VARIATION" buttons is identical for both Registrations (if the LEFT part is selected). In the Mixer and/or in the Voice Set you could check whether the Effect settings are identical (Reverb, Chorus, Insert DSPs).

The easiest way to solve the problem is to call up the Registration with the "correct" Left Voice and save these current Voice settings as a User Voice. Then you call up the second Registration, load this User Voice for the Left Part, memorize the settings back to the relevant Registration button and save the Registration Bank again.

How to save the Left Voice as a User Voice:
- Select the Left Part (via the "I" button in the Main display or the "Part Select > Left" button.
- Press the same button again to bring up the Voice Selection display.
- Press the upper "5" button to call up the VOICE SET.
- Press the "I" button (SAVE) to save the User Voice (e.g. in the USER drive).

Note: In Registrations, the User Voice is NOT linked, but the respective Voice settings are stored DIRECTLY in the Registration. (Even if the originally used User Voice were deleted, the Voice settings in the Registration would remain unchanged.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 07:54:38 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss, MadrasGiaguari

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 09:26:52 AM »
Chris. OWNER MANUALS. All manuals appear to state what a button-option is for but not how to use them, manuals are possibly written by the R&D department and not by a user.

Chris. You would be the ideal candidate with your Yammy knowledge to write product manuals.

Yamaha could follow korgs example...KORG have excellent videos on YouTube for Pa4X Pa700 & Pa1000
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 09:31:11 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
I agree … Chris.  You have a talent for communicating, what for some of us, is a difficult frustrating topic
Thank you
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
Do the manuals address these two.... "Touch Sense Depth" and "Touch Sense Offset?
What are their functions?
Thank you

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 02:56:33 PM »
Do the manuals address these two.... "Touch Sense Depth" and "Touch Sense Offset?
What are their functions?
Thank you

Hi sugarplumsss,

yes, all Voice Set parameters are described in the T4 Reference Manual, from page 11.

You can find all needed information about the "Touch Sense" parameters on page 12. Please read this page first and play around a little with the values of the two Touch Sense parameters for various Voices. (Nothing can go wrong. If you select a different Voice without first saving, the changes made in the Voice Set will be discarded. And as is well known, Preset Voices cannot be overwritten anyway.)

If you haven't already, you can download the T4 Reference Manual here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=tyros4

Then please also download the T4 Owner's Manual and the T4 Data List. If necessary, you can then open all three manuals in parallel on your computer and use the search function of your PDF reader program to quickly find all relevant text passages for specific search terms.

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »
I neglected to search - I have the two main manuals
But how would I use the Data doc?

BTW I have hired two, not one, tech, to help me solve problems I have been having with t4;   used in the unorthodox manner I do. I only use the drum parts , the remaining style parts are muted or off or at zero.

I have a big problem as follows
I change the volumes of 5 parts as I play, drums, manual bass, three right hand parts.
for each song. Some songs less so, than other songs.
When song ends, I am reticent to switch to another registration. I have had too many unwelcome surprises   both with a too loud bass drum or the whole set, 
I am inclining towards just using one registration for whole gig!! That's "crazy", but slow and safe. My bandleader is forgiving with time between songs. In my past history as a musician, times above 15 seconds are not the standard. Lulls on bandstand have always traditionally been avoided. But thankfully this bandleader is charismatic and I receive a "pardon" for taking 30 45 seconds maybe more!
Obviously I have to find ways around the problems

Also changing not only the volume ( mix ) among the 5 parts, but also changing the voice aas well. This brings the unwelcome too soft or too loud or wrong octave of the preset in the right side ( Voices 1-3 )

So between brash drums and odd sounding ac piano elec piano B3... I have been forced to temporarily be conservative in my use of T4.

The other factor is different gigs have different PA situations

With this many variables... I just have to patiently, very patiently find solutions.
I have avoided parameter locking and freezing, due to outright paranoia, which is based on my ignorance of the architecture.

My first task will be loading registration set up
then creating drum styles saved in user or where ever.
Then saving 3 preset right hand sounds in user or USB

Also editting the drums whose bass drum are too jarring.

At that point I will begin to gingerly try a few registrations.

I have done registrations by song title in the past, but for this gig.. I do not feel comfortable with it YET.
I concur with the forum, Chris is one smart cookie.

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 01:04:06 AM »
Chris and others
That left hand bass sound, still is slightly louder.
I am wondering if when you save a registration, the position of the ASSIGN SLIDER is the problem.
If I save one reg with ASSIGN at eg 100 and another at 127, how does this impact the resultant comparison between the 2 registrations?

Is the second registration ( saved at 127 ) necessarily always louder?