Author Topic: YEM question  (Read 3192 times)

YEM question
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »
Hi all,

I found an excellent video on how to load an instrument pack into the Genos using the YEM program. One question: After I saved the pack to my USB stick, I get a popup that reads, "Your instrument will be formatted before the installation starts."

Frankly, that line scares the h*** out of me. What does Yamaha mean by ""Formatted?" In the world of real computers that word is to be used with EXTREME caution!! Knowing Yamaha's propensity to snub the rest of the world's computer conventions in favor of their own very odd way of doing things, I assume they mean that the Genos will be setup to receive the new pack and nothing will be erased???

Please tell me this is a harmless step and that Yamaha REALLY needs to correct their language and choice of wording!! Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

Re: YEM question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 05:11:30 PM »
Hi Lee,

formatting only applies to Expansion Memory, that is, your installed Packs will be deleted. Other contents in the keyboard (USER contents) will remain intact. Formatting is a common procedure when installing new Packs. Check out this video that describes how basic things are about it.

https://youtu.be/abOb0fUIC2Y

(activate English subtitles)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 05:29:13 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 05:36:58 PM »
Thanks ckobu. Yamaha really needs to make this clear to first time users. If installed packs are deleted, isn't that a problem? Are you saying that if you
want to add new packs, you must reinstall all previous ones? That doesn't make sense from a computing point of view.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline RONBO

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 05:56:26 PM »
Hello Lee,

That's the way Yamaha does this.

It goes through a big ordeal that quite frankly could be done better, IMHO.

The end result is the program completely re-shuffles your existing packs to make room for the new one you are installing; go figure.

Thats's probably why it takes twenty minutes or so to do what should only take but a few seconds or a minute at the most.

There has to be a better way for Yamaha to make it easier to use YEM.

Hope this makes sense

regards

Ron
PSR Performer Page                                  IT'S EASY TO BE THE SHIP'S CAPTAIN WHEN THE  SEAS ARE CALM

Proud Genos2 owner

Former boards  PSR2100, PSR 910, TYROS 4,  TYROS 5 and Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »
Hi Lee,
I agree with you that Yamaha should explain some things better. Yamaha has always had a deficit in that regard.
The Pack or Packs currently on the keyboard do not need to be deleted. There is also a quick installation method, which I described in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8Anf4B3sY
However, my advice is to master the installation of entire packages well first. For starters, be sure to do it via a USB stick, for now do not use Wi-fi.

Good instructions by Joe Waters can be found at this link.
https://www.psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/exp/index.html

Yes, at first it’s all a little confusing but over time you’ll master everything you need.
Watch my video channel

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 08:09:31 PM »
Great, thanks guys!!

I'm installing one of the organ packs Eileen recommended. If I fail, she'll swim across the Big Pond, up the St. Lawrence to the Great Lakes and find me. It won't be pretty ;D!

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:30:18 PM »
Great.
Then download more free Packs in full Genos 3 GB to the top.  ;D

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
Watch my video channel

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 08:51:39 PM »
Great.
Then download more free Packs in full Genos 3 GB to the top.  ;D
https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html
Good heavens! I had no idea there were so many free packs. The Middle East, Far East, and European packs are probably beyond what I would use but there are some other very attractive packs. Thanks for the link, ckobu!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 08:58:04 PM »
Good heavens! I had no idea there were so many free packs. The Middle East, Far East, and European packs are probably beyond what I would use but there are some other very attractive packs. Thanks for the link, ckobu!

Hi Lee,

not all of these Packs are compatible with the Genos. Please select "Genos" in the dropdown box at the top left to display the compatible Packs. After clicking on a certain Pack, be sure to download the Genos version. (.cpf files for other models do not work with the Genos.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 09:04:58 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2021, 08:59:12 PM »
Good to know, thanks Chris.

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 10:21:37 PM »
For starters, be sure to do it via a USB stick, for now do not use Wi-fi.

Can I ask why you recommend NOT using the WiFi interface? I did this using the WiFi, and unless I missed (and am missing) something significant, I didn't have any issues. It actually seemed like a very easy and efficient process in this manner.  Granted, not something I would want to do very often, but really not nearly in the category of having a root canal done.
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 10:44:13 PM »
I have only ever used WiFi with Genos and previously Tyros. Everything seems to happen very smoothly, no need to provide separate identification and often additional content adds to the existing without lengthy reformatting being necessary, compared to the more clunky usb method that from comments raised on the forum appears to be more "fussy" in its requirements.
John

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 11:03:17 PM »
Hi John and Rich,
for beginners, I recommend using the installation via a USB stick because the possibility of problems is less. Once the procedure is mastered in this way, the user can continue to work via wifi.
Just because you didn’t have a problem doesn’t mean someone else won’t. I will give an example. A short disconnection on the Router will abort the installation. It will not be noticed on internet access but the installation will not do. For example, a weak connection to a router can also create difficulties. It was written on this forum about that as well.

I speak from experience because I also had problems, and I work every day at such a job.  ;)

I have only ever used WiFi with Genos and previously Tyros. Everything seems to happen very smoothly, no need to provide separate identification and often additional content adds to the existing without lengthy reformatting being necessary, compared to the more clunky usb method that from comments raised on the forum appears to be more "fussy" in its requirements.
John

@jwyvern - quite the opposite, over WiFi you’re never sure if it will format from scratch or not. With the Quick method via USB, this is always a quick installation.
Watch my video channel

Offline Rich Z

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2021, 12:10:30 AM »
Hi John and Rich,
for beginners, I recommend using the installation via a USB stick because the possibility of problems is less. Once the procedure is mastered in this way, the user can continue to work via wifi.
Just because you didn’t have a problem doesn’t mean someone else won’t. I will give an example. A short disconnection on the Router will abort the installation. It will not be noticed on internet access but the installation will not do. For example, a weak connection to a router can also create difficulties. It was written on this forum about that as well.

I speak from experience because I also had problems, and I work every day at such a job.  ;)

@jwyvern - quite the opposite, over WiFi you’re never sure if it will format from scratch or not. With the Quick method via USB, this is always a quick installation.

I am not questioning your expertise, I am only asking for specifics, please.  With a WiFi related failure, what exactly is it that fails?

Go ahead, throw some technical stuff at me.  I think I can handle it.  :)
Genos, Korg Kronos, two left feet for hands.  :(

Offline ckobu

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 01:45:47 AM »
Can I ask why you recommend NOT using the WiFi interface? I did this using the WiFi, and unless I missed (and am missing) something significant, I didn't have any issues. It actually seemed like a very easy and efficient process in this manner.  Granted, not something I would want to do very often, but really not nearly in the category of having a root canal done.

;)

1. A short disconnection on the Router will abort the installation.

2. For example, a weak connection to a router can also create difficulties. It was written on this forum about that as well.

3. Over WiFi you’re never sure if it will format from scratch or not.
Watch my video channel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 10:36:41 AM »
If your Wi Fi connection drops out the signal to the keyboard fails and the pack is not loaded. This can be a pain and time waiting. Using a USB stick is more positive.

Offline RoyB

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »
I agree, I personally have found the WiFi method (on my Tyros 5) to be unreliable. It is particularly annoying when you are doing a big pack install (which takes ages) and it gets over half way through and then fails.
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos