Author Topic: Disk error when trying to install 2gb CPI file  (Read 2801 times)

Offline gabrielschuck

Disk error when trying to install 2gb CPI file
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:44:20 AM »
Guys,
I recently bought and installed a 2048 MB expansion memory for my tyros5, but I'm having trouble installing a bunch of packs that I'd like to use on the keyboard.
On YEM, it shows me that the pool is taking up 2041mb out of 2048. The generated CPI file size is 2.2gb.
I put it on the pendrive and I'm going to install it on the keyboard through the function button > letter i. The file appears, but when I press enter the message "Disk error" appears.
I thought the Tyros5 hd was dead, but I can see his files on my pc and on the keyboard it works.
I tried the same file on another pendrive and the same happens.
I then tried another installation pack that had generated before 1gb and it didn't give the error.
I tried to copy the larger file to the tyros hd to install from the hd, but the pendrive is required for that as usual.
Has anyone been through this and managed to resolve it?
I don't understand because, despite being big, it apparently isn't occupying the full capacity of the expansion card, otherwise, it wouldn't even have generated the file.
I have the latest version of YEM and the pendrive is formatted in fat32, because the keyboard recognizes it.
If anyone has another suggestion, I appreciate it!
Thanks
Gabriel
-------------------------------

keyboardist, arranger, composer and music producer

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline wersianer

Re: Disk error when trying to install 2gb CPI file
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
Try to reduce the size by removing it until the T5 accepts the file. It has happened to me several times that the capacities displayed in green in the YEM still did not work.

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 10:01:18 AM »
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking.
I'll see if I reduce a piano pack I created to see if the file gets smaller.
I read in another topic that tyros5 does not accept files larger than 2 gb. Is this the case? The file is 2.02 gb
Thanks!

"Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, with sensitivity and intuition, never by rigid rules."

Offline wersianer

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 10:58:47 AM »
I think the phenomenon has more to do with the RAM than with the T5. The error message leads you on the wrong track and suspects a defect. I actually tried until it ate the keyboard (LOL).

Offline RoyB

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 11:11:26 AM »
I have the 2048 MB expansion memory and have also come across this. Seems to occur when YEM shows the total packs size of around 2040 MB or more (although I think it is more to do with the maximum size of the produced CPI file that the Tyros can read, as I got the error with CPI file sizes of about 2095 - 2096 MB).

As a rule of thumb, I now work on a maximum of about 2030 MB shown in YEM, to give a maximum CPI file size of around 2090 - 2091 MB, and this seems to work for me.

Regards

Roy
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:23:34 AM by RoyB »
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, gabrielschuck

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
I have the 2048 MB expansion memory and have also come across this. Seems to occur when YEM shows the total packs size of around 2040 MB or more (although I think it is more to do with the maximum size of the produced CPI file that the Tyros can read, as I got the error with CPI file sizes of about 2095 - 2096 MB).

As a rule of thumb, I now work on a maximum of about 2030 MB shown in YEM, to give a maximum CPI file size of around 2090 - 2091 MB, and this seems to work for me.

Regards

Roy
Thanks Roy!
Apparently that's right, it has to do with the size of the CPI generated.
Now I generated a cpi with a size of 2047 mb (1.99 gb) and it worked. It is currently formatting the expansion memory. I could fit what I needed, but I had to reduce the size of my piano pack a little.
It really seems to be a limitation of tyros5 itself.
Regards.

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 03:40:24 PM »
Hi Gabriel,

Which YEM version are you using? I recommend using the current version 2.8.1. Version 2.7.0 works a little faster, but full compatibility with newer packs such as Romance Latino is only given with V2.8.1.

It is also very important that the current Firmware (V1.13) is installed on the Tyros5.

By the way, you could also try the WiFi installation method (using the Yamaha USB WiFi Stick UD-WL01, which is usually supplied with the T5). Connect the T5 in "Infrastructure Mode" to the local WiFi network, to which the computer is also connected. The WiFi method also has the advantage that the Expansion Memory Module is not necessarily reformatted always when adding or removing Expansion content. (The YEM decides whether it has to be formatted.)

P.S.
If you want to save a new .cpi file from the YEM directly to the USB stick, I recommend manually deleting a .cpi file with the same name that may already be on the stick from the USB stick. Several times in the past I had the problem that the YEM could not properly overwrite an old .cpi on the stick.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 03:12:33 AM »
Thanks Chris for the tips!
Yes, I am using the latest YEM version and also the latest Tyros5 firmware.
The problem really looks like what Roy had mentioned.
I believe the maximum we can achieve from expansion memory on tyros is around 2030 gb. Above that gives error.
I did all the tests to make sure the file wasn't corrupted and redid the CPI file with the same packs.
The solution was even to reduce the size of one of the packs I created with piano samples.
It did not compromise the functioning of the same and it was still possible to put others who were in need.
Thanks!

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 03:25:22 AM »
Thanks for your detailed feedback, Gabriel!

If I find out anything about this problem with the Tyros5, I'll post it here.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »
Check the Voice Wave size dose not exceed the pack load size.

Offline gabrielschuck

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »

Regards

Roy
Hi Roy and everyone,
Coming back here to update the topic... Yesterday I decided to do a new test after reducing samples of some of my created packs and updating the list of packs I would like to use on the keyboard. I imported them all into YEM and the total shown was 2045GB.
So I followed Chris' tip from another topic of deselecting unnecessary voices from packs I use to reduce space, but I wasn't very lucky with the problem. :)
Following the logic, I got a size shown on the YEM of 2026 GB. I got a lot out of it.
The CPI file was 2069 MB. Even so, Tyros5 reports "disk error" when installing.
I'll send you a screenshot of the YEM screen here so you can check if everything is right.
I will also continue doing other tests.
For now, I can only successfully install CPI files smaller than 2 gb.
Greetings,
Gabriel

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »
You see where it says "voice wave size" in the drop-down list at the top of the screenshot. There are other choices on that list, check them all to make sure they are all smaller than the limit.
Genos