Author Topic: super articulation  (Read 1804 times)

bobn1944

super articulation
« on: November 19, 2021, 10:37:19 AM »
Hi all
Since buying my SX900 earlier this week, I am quite happy with it.
But!! Am I correct in thinking the SX900 doesn't have SA 2?
I have assigned it to an assignable button but it doesn't seem to work.
Also I am having some difficulty with SA 1
It seems to do very little.
Any input welcomed.

Regards Bob

Offline DerekA

Re: super articulation
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
That's correct, SA2 is only available on Tyros / Genos.

The actual affect of SA1 on voices does vary. For example, I've never been able to tell the different between the grand piano and the SA grand piano. It's more obvious on other voices, such as acoustic guitar, when you can trigger various effects depending on how you play.
Genos

bobn1944

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the information Derek
I can hear a breath sound on saxophones & a hand tapping on a guitar body but that's all so far.
A bit disappointing though.

Cheers Bob

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
Yamaha keep some features only for the flagship models. If you use the s.art2 feature much you should consder getting a Genos, or a used Tyros5. It would be great f the PSRs got these features too, but that will never happen.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 12:46:52 PM »
Remember it's not just about the buttons. Some effects are triggered depending on how you play.

Take a guitar for example. If you play notes in a staccato way you will hear fret noises (squeaks). If you play one key, hold it down, then let go and at the same time press the one above it quite firmly you will hear a hammer-on effect (twang).

Or on some brass sounds, hitting the key with high velocity will make the note fall away in pitch.

The voice part setup screen shows little icons beside "SArt" to indicate how to trigger these effects. Have a look in the reference manual, p33

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 12:54:54 AM »
I can hear a breath sound on saxophones & a hand tapping on a guitar body but that's all so far.
A bit disappointing though.

Hi Bob --

I enjoy the Super Articulation saxophones and guitars the best. They seem to enhance whatever gestures I play.  :D

That said, Yamaha have kind of stretched the application of "Super Articulation" into marketing territory. For piano, it might be a key-off sound -- not so audible in a mix.

Regular Super Articulation is an out-growth of MegaVoice. Inside the Yamaha software, SArt is kind of a script that plays an appropriate sample in response to a playing gesture. To get an idea of what's available, check out the MegaVoice which is most similar to its SArt voice, e.g., 50sVintageSolo (SArt) and 50sVintageFinger (MegaVoice). Pages 21 to 25 in the Data List PDF map out each of the MegaVoices. You can see the "ingredients" that go into each MegaVoice and, probably, the equivalent SArt voice. That exploration might give you an idea of what to expect from particular SArt voices.

Hope this info helps and isn't TMI -- pj
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 12:55:57 AM by pjd »

bobn1944

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 04:37:11 AM »
Thank you all for your input.
I will have to do a lot more investigating.
But I am learning something new every day.
One thing that does look mind boggling is the mixer & EQ settings.
I have been struggling with this.

Than you all
Bob