Author Topic: My new Bose L1 Pro 8  (Read 7566 times)

Offline guitpic1

My new Bose L1 Pro 8
« on: November 19, 2021, 10:36:36 AM »
Hello All

Today I took a bunch of music gear to Guitar Center and traded for a Bose L1 Pro 8 to use with my Genos.

As per reviews, the sound is awesome.

To me, this is the best sound I have ever gotten out of my Genos.

There is, what I believe to be, a design flaw though.  The tower wobbles because it does not seat into the base unit very firmly.  This has been noted by others.

But I couldn’t be happier with the sound.  I had a ‘WOW’ reaction when I first heard my Genos through this unit.

Guitpic
guitpic1

For me, the goal is to keep growing/learning.

Offline Toril S

Re: My new Bose L1 Pro 8
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
Congrats!! I have the Bose L1 compact, and realize that the new model has better sound. But the L1 is the perfect size and weight for me, so I will keep it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 12:42:10 PM »
Guitpic1, I took delivery of my second Pro 8 a week ago and running the Genos through two is stellar. You can use just one and the stereo effect isn't bad because you have three channels from which to choose. I use Channels 1 and 2 if running a single Pro 8 because both channels have adjustments for the Tone Match system. I use the Keyboard General selection. It sounds great.

The software update was broken on the Bose website, but they have since fixed it.

I agree that the tower feels unstable, however, when you try to pull the pieces apart, it takes a sizable force. One thing I noticed is when connecting the pieces, you must push down each piece and slightly forward (toward the front of the speaker) otherwise, the electrical connection is not made and you get no sound from the tweeter array.

Toril, the bass unit is 30 pounds - slightly heavier than the Compact, which I believe is around 25 pounds with its tweeter array stored in the speaker. Not a huge difference. I find them just as easy to carry because the Pro 8 is one inch narrower, hence, carried closer to your body. The bass is far more substantial. So is the price :'(!

One down side - Bose cheaped out and didn't include the bass unit covers. I must pay an extra $100 (CDN) for two of them. They're simple slip covers with no padding and no pocket for cables. Bose has been slammed many times for this! I just hope they aren't going down the same path that so many other companies are going - becoming profit junkies!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 02:11:01 PM »
Like Toril I too have the Bose Compact and love the sound.  I can't imagine the improvement with the Bose Pro 8 but I'm sure it's true.  It sounds tempting but I'll just sit tight with my the Bose Compact.  I did see the Bose L1 Pro at Guitar Center, I better not demo it to be safe otherwise I may be tempted.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 03:35:50 PM »
Good one, Stephenm52!

The Pro 8 is a major improvement over the Compact but the Compact is still an eager workhorse. I went to the Pro 8 for two reasons.
1) Mine were going on 10 years old and I wanted to trade them while they were still worth something or failed all together.
2) I needed something a little more substantial for this new R&B band I just joined. I like a hefty stage monitor system other than those horrible wedge monitors most sound operators give you - in mono, no less - ugh! The Compacts are good for that but also maxed out. Asking this band to turn down their stage level doesn't seem to be an option.

I really like the extended low frequency of the Pro 8. The Compacts roll off at 65 Hz. The Pro 8 rolls off at 45 Hz. That's good for an open E string on a bass guitar. Much better for the low end of the Genos.

You're right - don't try one out. You'll buy it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:38:15 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Mike2

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 07:45:25 PM »
Lee, I was totally out of line about my comments the other day. (Organ sounds severe limitation) and I want to apologize for it.
Had to put my dog down a few days earlier, and I guess I needed to blame someone about a topic that is none of my business, and I fully respect the subject.

Congratulations on your new Bose L1 Pro 8.

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 08:07:33 PM »
I put these comments on another forum.

Here’s what I’ve owned/used in the past decade or so. All functioned simultaneously as mains/monitors.

Bose

Original L1 tower with sub. Used it for a couple of years then sold it.

L1 Compacts x 2 used in stereo. Used for a couple of years then sold.

S1 Compacts x 2 in stereo (2 doesn’t make stereo but that’s for another discussion). One of the Compacts died after 3 years. I still have the other one.

L1 Pro 8…just got this. Sounds the best, to me anyway, of any PA system I’ve used. And that’s just a singe cable L/R from my Genos to a single input on the L1. I haven’t tried two cables yet.

JBL

Got the original Eon One tower. Used it for a year or so and donated it to a church when we moved from Minn to Missouri. Nice sound…very bassy and colors the sound.

Eon One Compact with battery. Got this earlier this year. Very bassy/colors the sound of my Genos. Probably better suited for guitar/mic. Mixer works best with phone app. Hard to use the mixer manually. But I’ll keep it.

HK Nano. Bought this a few years back. I just wasn’t that impressed with it and sold it after about a year.

I also had the Aspen Pittman Center Point Stereo. Great sound and I used it for small 10-15 folk gigs. Best for keyboard for me. I donated it to our church when we moved to Missouri.

Over the years I’ve also owned used: Mackie, York, Yamaha and others…more traditional systems. I still have a Yamaha DXR 10 powered speaker.  I did use this for smaller gigs.
guitpic1

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:13 PM »
Lee, I was totally out of line about my comments the other day. (Organ sounds severe limitation) and I want to apologize for it.
Had to put my dog down a few days earlier, and I guess I needed to blame someone about a topic that is none of my business, and I fully respect the subject.

Mike,

So sorry for your loss.  Last week we lost our little girl, a Shi Tzu that was part of our family for 14 years.  I still tear up when I think of her.

I made this video as a memorial to her.

https://youtu.be/E9N0_-M3F6U
guitpic1

Mike2

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 08:42:28 PM »
Thanks...Sorry for your loss as well.  It's hard. But time heals.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 09:25:46 PM »
Good one, Stephenm52!

The Pro 8 is a major improvement over the Compact but the Compact is still an eager workhorse. I went to the Pro 8 for two reasons.
1) Mine were going on 10 years old and I wanted to trade them while they were still worth something or failed all together.
2) I needed something a little more substantial for this new R&B band I just joined. I like a hefty stage monitor system other than those horrible wedge monitors most sound operators give you - in mono, no less - ugh! The Compacts are good for that but also maxed out. Asking this band to turn down their stage level doesn't seem to be an option.

I really like the extended low frequency of the Pro 8. The Compacts roll off at 65 Hz. The Pro 8 rolls off at 45 Hz. That's good for an open E string on a bass guitar. Much better for the low end of the Genos.

You're right - don't try one out. You'll buy it.

Lee,  Knowing what I know about me and the great recommendations for equipment on this forum, I’ll stay out of Guitar Center. 😎

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 09:27:44 PM »
Mike and Roger, Sorry for your losses we know the feeling last year we had to put down Riley one of our Bichon’s.  Our pups are family and it hurts to lose them.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Toril S

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 09:53:20 PM »
I lost my Kalinka 3 months ago, and I still miss her so much. Sorry for your loss❤️
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 11:32:33 PM »
No worries, Mike. I too have been through the dismal act of putting a pet down. The hurt of such an act will go away soon.

On a brighter note, I played my first gig today with the new Pro 8s. There was a musician in the audience and she said they sounded great. Win/win :).

Friends always, Mike.

- Lee

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 11:34:35 PM »
Lee,  Knowing what I know about me and the great recommendations for equipment on this forum, I’ll stay out of Guitar Center. 😎
;D!

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 11:37:23 PM »
Ditto that, Roger. Ours was a 20 year old house cat. Pets offer such an unconditional love. Too bad few humans can't offer the same. I find that you never get over such a loss but you learn to live with it so that when you look at pics or videos after a short time, you laugh once again.

You too, Toril! Hope I haven't missed anyone :).

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 11:38:57 PM »
I put these comments on another forum.

Here’s what I’ve owned/used in the past decade or so. All functioned simultaneously as mains/monitors.

Bose

Original L1 tower with sub. Used it for a couple of years then sold it.

L1 Compacts x 2 used in stereo. Used for a couple of years then sold.

S1 Compacts x 2 in stereo (2 doesn’t make stereo but that’s for another discussion). One of the Compacts died after 3 years. I still have the other one.

L1 Pro 8…just got this. Sounds the best, to me anyway, of any PA system I’ve used. And that’s just a singe cable L/R from my Genos to a single input on the L1. I haven’t tried two cables yet.

JBL

Got the original Eon One tower. Used it for a year or so and donated it to a church when we moved from Minn to Missouri. Nice sound…very bassy and colors the sound.

Eon One Compact with battery. Got this earlier this year. Very bassy/colors the sound of my Genos. Probably better suited for guitar/mic. Mixer works best with phone app. Hard to use the mixer manually. But I’ll keep it.

HK Nano. Bought this a few years back. I just wasn’t that impressed with it and sold it after about a year.

I also had the Aspen Pittman Center Point Stereo. Great sound and I used it for small 10-15 folk gigs. Best for keyboard for me. I donated it to our church when we moved to Missouri.

Over the years I’ve also owned used: Mackie, York, Yamaha and others…more traditional systems. I still have a Yamaha DXR 10 powered speaker.  I did use this for smaller gigs.
Great review and summary! Thanks...

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 01:16:22 AM »
But one single Bose L1 Pro 8 is MONO, is this correct ? The Genos has stereo output, and you really need 2 Bose like this to have full stereo.
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 02:49:21 AM »
Each Pro 8 has a 3 -channel mixer. I have run the L/R Main outputs from my Genos into two of the channels in the Pro 8. You get a decent enough stereo effect without the imaging you hear from two speakers. It's certainly not the same as having two speakers running but in a cramped venue, you could easily get away with one. The audience would never know. In larger venues, two are definitely preferable.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 01:46:55 AM »
I'm curious, if you were to run just the "L" output from the Genos (which I think is also marked "L+R"), into one channel of a Bose Pro 8, would you get the identical effect as L and R outputs into 2 channels of a Bose Pro 8?

I think the "L" output of the Genos, if used alone (i.e. if you don't also use the R output), is a summed-to-mono output from the Genos.  Since the Bose unit (a single one) is a mono device, I'm wondering if "L out of Genos into Ch1 of Bose", would be technically identical to "L and R outputs of Genos into inputs 1 and 2 of a single Bose"?

I'm somewhat thinking of a new PA setup also - have used the larger Lucas Nano and generally like it, but I'd like something with reverb for when I plug guitar or mic into the PA (older Nano 600 had no reverb). 

Just curious about this Mono signal question above - thanks!
Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 02:55:58 AM »
Hi Jim,

Electronically, routing the L/R out of the Genos to Channel 1 of the Pro 8 would work. I haven’t tried that yet but I would assume the voices, especially the pianos, would not sound as good. Yamaha pianos played in mono even when they're summed through the L/R outputs sound boxy and frankly terrible. Roland processors are superior.

I’ll give it a try and report back. I played yesterday and my gear is still packed. I’ll be as quick as I can.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 03:27:26 AM »
Hi - yes, I do agree that many aspects of the Genos sound, sound best in real stereo.  It is why I have (so far) stayed away from using a single speaker (I currently always use two powered speakers, or system such as Lucas Nano, which can be set up with real stereo.  Of course having TWO of the Bose Pro 8's would probably be fantastic, but I think beyond my budget. . .

I was mainly trying to know if it is identical to have 2 cables (L and R) from Genos to a single Bose Pro 8 (or any such speaker), is the same as one cable from the L+R output.  It seems that the speaker only has mono output, so even if you have L going to input 1 and R going to input 2 (of the same single speaker), would effectively be identical to having the Genos do the "sum-to-mono" stuff. 

Seems that either way, with only one speaker, it would be identical (electrically, and thus, sound-wise) to have 2 cables L + R to a single amplified speaker's inputs, or one cable from the "L+R" output of Genos, to an input on the (mono) powered speaker.

Thanks!
Jim

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 10:13:31 AM »
There have been many discussions in the past about the true value of stereo in an medium/large venue, because strictly speaking there is a relatively small area of the venue that can experience true stereo. Some feel that since most people in the audience, especially a large audience, would be largely hearing one speaker rather than both, ie half the signal, mono would actually be better than stereo.
It remains an unanswered question - is the player fooling themself it is better because they are among the few actually hearing stereo, or is it perhaps the case that more modern column arrays  like the Bose, throw the sound so much better that everyone hears some stereo effect??
Mike

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
Stereo reproduction is certainly better and easier in smaller venues where most people can hear (or sense) a nice phase shift with Chorus or Leslie effects. Large venues usually depend on horn type speakers, which tend to be very directional and almost always suffer from beaming*. Hence, mono is needed so everyone can hear roughly the same sound.

Bose has overcome that issue to a large extent by altering the geometry of their tweeter and midrange arrays. They claim to get an even sound through a 180 degree horizontal pattern. For the better part this is true. I just played a venue at a seniors' residence where the room was 25 feet wide and 40 feet long. We were placed at the midpoint of the 40 foot length, shooting across the 25 foot width. I ran us in stereo and my vocalist did a walk around while I played an instrumental. He said the sound was roughly the same everywhere. I assume that the stereo signal was sensed everywhere. So, there is some merit to using stereo setups with Bose type speakers.

Some line array systems incorporate a straight, inline vertical tweeter array but do not sound as good because none of their tweeters are deliberately aimed to the sides the way the Bose are.

Beaming – A change in radiation pattern with frequency, where higher frequencies are radiated in a narrower angle than lower ones. In other words, if you have a flat on axis response and you measure the response significantly off-axis you will observe a progressive lessening of volume above a certain frequency. Bose overcomes most of this by aiming their high and mid frequency drivers directly to the sides, hence, applying the same volume “everywhere.” It’s also why they need at least 6 tweeters in the older Compact model and 8 in the new Pro 8.

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2021, 01:55:01 PM »
There have been many discussions in the past about the true value of stereo in an medium/large venue, because strictly speaking there is a relatively small area of the venue that can experience true stereo. Some feel that since most people in the audience, especially a large audience, would be largely hearing one speaker rather than both, ie half the signal, mono would actually be better than stereo.
It remains an unanswered question - are players fooling themselves it is better because they are among the few actually hearing stereo, or is it perhaps the case that more modern column arrays  like the Bose, throw the sound so much better that everyone hears some stereo effect??
Mike
Agreed, Mike. There are some venues where stereo just simply won't work. A stereo image would be difficult to achieve with an audience that is very wide spread. I once played in a band that opened for a major star. The area was about 12 acres and had 15,000 people. There were huge speaker arrays on each side of the stage. I believe they used 10 large subs and about 150,000 watts of power! You can bet they ran everything in mono! The band was April Wine. Back then, I played a Yamaha Motif ES 7.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:56:31 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline mikf

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2021, 07:15:14 PM »
Quite an experience. I’ve never played to that size of audience.
Mike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:25:33 PM by mikf »

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2021, 07:56:40 PM »
It was a once in a life time for me too, Mike! After that, the next biggest audience was about 2,000. Now, I'm down to about 25 to 50 seniors and with far less wattage ;D.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 10:55:24 PM »
I'm going to quit this forum after all these years!!!! WHY?  Every time a new product is released and I read about it  here and the great testimonial it gets I get the itch to buy one.   So if I don't visit this forum I won't know anything about new products, it will save me money.   Despite what I wrote to Lee  I'm not sure but tomorrow I'm tempted to head to Guitar Center with my Bose Compact and see what the trade in value is.  Stay tuned! I guess depends on which way the wind is blowing tomorrow will determine if I head to GC.  LOL!!!   

No matter what I'm only kidding about leaving this forum there's too much good info and people here.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2021, 01:14:11 AM »
Glad you're sticking around, Stephenm52 :)! We need your wisdom on occasion.

Now, to really throw you a curve ball. I had my first practice today with the R&B band I recently joined and you guessed it - they're pretty loud. I played some B3, brass, and sax voices through my two Pro 8s in stereo of course and all I could see were jaws dropping on the floor. Our bass player commented on how full yet clean the Pro 8s were. They're very loud too!! Of course, we're looking at 600 watts of power.

It never hurts to ask about trade-in value. I did that and decided to move my Compacts at 9 years old and while they were still worth something. For your reference, they gave me $675 for both. I didn't think that was too bad. They've done a lot of shows and have been punished on occasion. Let us know what you think. Thanks for chiming in.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2021, 01:40:50 AM »
Glad you're sticking around, Stephenm52 :)! We need your wisdom on occasion.

Now, to really throw you a curve ball. I had my first practice today with the R&B band I recently joined and you guessed it - they're pretty loud. I played some B3, brass, and sax voices through my two Pro 8s in stereo of course and all I could see were jaws dropping on the floor. Our bass player commented on how full yet clean the Pro 8s were. They're very loud too!! Of course, we're looking at 600 watts of power.

It never hurts to ask about trade-in value. I did that and decided to move my Compacts at 9 years old and while they were still worth something. For your reference, they gave me $675 for both. I didn't think that was too bad. They've done a lot of shows and have been punished on occasion. Let us know what you think. Thanks for chiming in.

Sure Lee, rub it in. Ha ha.   Great to hear you saw some jaws dropping, speaks volumes about the L1Pro8s.  I took a guess and thought maybe they’d offer $350 to $400.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2021, 06:55:23 PM »
In response to Jim’s last post, in the last few years I have used QSC K10.1 (1Kw each) in stereo from my Genos for my 50 to 150 audiences and they have been wonderful. However on the advice of a very experienced musician on this forum I was persuaded to change to a mono set up as most of the audience would not hear a full stereo effect.
So after trying Bose, Yamaha Stagepas, Maui and ERF’s two years ago I came across a new product from HK Audio, the Polar 10 (2Kw). This array speaker is brilliant, great spec figures and almost half the price of Bose complete with case and cover. At first I used 1 line out from L+LR output but I felt that I was missing some of the voices which were panned far left and far right. I now use the left line out into channel 1 of the polar 10 and the right line out into channel 2 which has solved the problem. Many listeners have commented on the quality of the sound and some people being amazed at the volume I can get which is the same from the back of the room as at the front.
I hope this is useful for someone.
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2021, 07:01:36 PM »
Agreed, Dave. I did look at HK. They are well represented at my music store. They probably do the job as well as the Pro 8s but I guess I got used to the Bose sound.

For larger venues, I agree that mono is fine. That is, two large speaker arrays on either side of the stage playing the same program material. For the smaller venues, one speaker would work but I find two gives better imaging and of course better dynamics. You're right about it not being essential and probably not radically different to most audiences. But then there are those of us who have more coins than brains ::)!!

Perhaps for my next seniors' gig I'll try just one. Thanks...

Offline OmbDave

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 07:11:57 PM »
Lee you are absolutely right, I would prefer two speakers ( I still have both QSC’s) but at almost 72 y o I now feel the need to carry less equipment.
All the best to you Lee
From Dave
Dave
Yamaha Genos
Korg i3 (2021)
Yamaha Tyros3
Roland Alpha Juno
Pearl Drums, Paiste & Avedis Zildjian Cymbals
HK Audio Polar10

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2021, 07:49:07 PM »
Not far behind you, Dave. I'm just south of 69 years. I agree about the weight thing. Ironically, the very generation who can afford the bigger gear, can't even lift it :D!

Best to you too...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 09:05:09 PM »
I just gig occasionally, audience only 20-40 people, so I decided to stick with the compact. I also have a Bose Pro S1 that I connect to the Bose for better monitoring of sound. People are satisfied. But last week I bought at speaker stand for the S1 Pro. It fitted the venue perfectly, but I was not prepared for how much force was required to lift the d... speaker of the stand afterwards! :) LOL, I don't need to go to the gym! A second persom was needed to hold the stand in place while I put my shoulder under the speaker and pulled. Never bad to end on a comical note :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 09:20:06 PM »
Agreed Toril. Your choice of the Compact is still a good one. They are excellent work horses. I moved to the Pro 8 so I could better serve the new band I'm working with. I need really solid brass, B3, and sax samples. The Genos is up to the task but I wanted a little beefier sound from the speakers. My Compacts were 10 years old too. I thought it was time.

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 10:01:13 PM »
The Bose S1 has a tiny little piece of material up in the 'hole' where your speaker pole goes; it is there to 'sense' whether it is being pole-mounted.  I have heard that this little piece can get caught on certain types of poles/materials.  You can feel this little sensor in the hole; I think it's supposed to go in so as to be 'flush' with the wall of the hole, but I think it can catch on things ... which might be why your speaker stand was so hard to extract from the S1's speaker hole!  -Jim

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2021, 10:29:31 PM »
Lee,  I took a trip to Guitar Center today.  They will give me $400 for my Compact.  Sometime next week I’ll probably head back and get a Pro8 system.  Thanks buddy for selling me on the unit  8)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline Toril S

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2021, 11:01:08 PM »
Jim, yes, I feel that little buggar in the hole. I assume all speaker stands are standad size?
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2021, 01:09:34 AM »
Oops, sorry Stephenm52. My bad. Just send me the bill. Collection may be another matter ;D.
They do sound great, right? The trade-in you're getting sounds like a good deal.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2021, 02:18:52 AM »
Oops, sorry Stephenm52. My bad. Just send me the bill. Collection may be another matter ;D .
They do sound great, right? The trade-in you're getting sounds like a good deal.

Lee, NO need for an apology, if you don’t write about the someone else would have.   I’m happy with that trade in amount its a fair price.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 12:26:35 PM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2021, 12:02:20 AM »
Our bass player commented on how full yet clean the Pro 8s were. They're very loud too!! Of course, we're looking at 600 watts of power.

Lee, Guitpic and others interested in the Bose Pro 8 today I went back to GC and now own a Pro 8.  Lee, very loud ?   I about fell off my keyboard bench with the amount of power I had hit me between the eyes before I lowered the volume.  I started out with the Genos volume about where I set the Compact way too much power with that setting.  I love the sound I hear the Genos sounds great.  I didn’t have a lot of time to dig in today making adjustments but will be doing so in the next few days.   

I echo what Guitpic said that it’s the best sound I’ve got out of my Genos.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
Good for you, Stephenm52!

Yes, the Pro 8 is loud. You should try two! I run mine at 12:00 on the dial for shows, and then control everything from the mixer within the Genos. I also downloaded the L1 Mix app. I highly recommend it if you use an iPad or Android for playing. I chose the Keyboard General setting. It seems to be the smoothest for my ears. I also leave the System EQ set to Off.

Bose no longer provides the covers for the sub. You must buy them and they aren't very robust. In Canada, they want about $50 each >:(. Toward that end, I asked my very talented wife to make me some covers. I uploaded picture of her finished work. She made them from some grey left-over quilted material. The padding will be useful for transport with other gear.

Side note
I tried uploading a picture but a single picture size is limited to 500 KB. Isn't this size a bit outdated?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:19:50 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2021, 02:25:58 PM »
Good for you, Stephenm52!

Yes, the Pro 8 is loud. You should try two! I run mine at 12:00 on the dial for shows, and then control everything from the mixer within the Genos. I also downloaded the L1 Mix app. I highly recommend it if you use an iPad or Android for playing. I chose the Keyboard General setting. It seems to be the smoothest for my ears. I also leave the System EQ set to Off.

Bose no longer provides the covers for the sub. You must buy them and they aren't very robust. In Canada, they want about $50 each >:( . Toward that end, I asked my very talented wife to make me some covers. I uploaded picture of her finished work. She made them from some grey left-over quilted material. The padding will be useful for transport with other gear.

Side note
I tried uploading a picture but a single picture size is limited to 500 KB. Isn't this size a bit outdated?

Lee tell your wife she did a great job on those covers.     Based on the type gigs I do 2 would probably be overkill.   Thanks I did download the app to control the Bose via my phone and iPad.  The picture worked out fine I was able to view the cover with no problem.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:27:46 PM by stephenm52 »

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2021, 04:24:44 PM »
Good comments all.

My advice to those of you on the fence re: the Pro 8…don’t try one out…you then won’t be happy till you own one.

😁
guitpic1

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2021, 05:51:15 PM »
Good comments all.

My advice to those of you on the fence re: the Pro 8…don’t try one out…you then won’t be happy till you own one.

😁

Spoken like a Sage! You're right stay away don't demo one   8)

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks