Author Topic: Help with adjusting an intro part volume in a style on Genos..  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Dnj

Help with adjusting an intro part volume in a style on Genos..
« on: November 18, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »
On my other Yamaha units I would just go into Style Creator, then mixer find the style part
within the intro and adjust the volume on that part alone...then resave the style in style creator...

It looks a bit different  when I go into style creator to do the same on Genos vs Tyros, s970 etc ..
 ....am I missing a step here ?....can someone explain the process?

Thank you ..

Offline EileenL

Re: Help with adjusting an intro part volume in a style on Genos..
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 11:51:29 PM »
On Genos go to mixer and adjust your volumes. When happy with them go to Style creator and then just press the save button. The style is now saved with your new adjustments.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2021, 12:50:06 AM »
Hi Dnj,

you have already received good answers to your problem. You can watch this video describing the procedure. When we memorize changes to all Parts at once, I call it “Global”. When we act only on the parameters of one Part, I call it "Partial".
When you are in Style Creator, you open the Mixer via Direcct Access + Variation (03:51 sec).

https://youtu.be/gJi_rqs-Mv8
Include English subtitles.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2021, 07:51:06 AM »
On my other Yamaha units I would just go into Style Creator, then mixer find the style part
within the intro and adjust the volume on that part alone...then resave the style in style creator...

Dnj,
To make edits on one section you need to do the same on Genos. The difference is that when in Style Creator the normally assigned buttons for Mixer no longer bring up the Mixer on Genos for some (buggy?) reason as they do on other keyboards. So as a workaround to get into Mixer from Style Creator on Genos use Direct Access instead (DA followed by Ending1 or Ending2 gets you there)  then proceed as before, Exit-ing back to SC to save the style when done.

(As you probably know you have to access Mixer from Style Creator having selected the Section to make edits to just that section. If you go to Mixer first you end up affecting all sections when you edit).

John
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 08:10:36 AM by jwyvern »

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
Great post. Along these lines, is there a way to adjust each drum instrument in a kit by using the Style Creator? The only way I see to do it is by toggling through and setting individual velocities, which technically is NOT the same.

My reason for doing this is, there are so many styles where the kick drum is way too loud. Whoever set those volumes, is either a poor musician or perhaps they used cheap monitors. Either way, some of the kick drums are WAY out of proportion. I kick should be felt, not heard.

Ideas? Thanks.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 01:11:09 PM »
Hi Lee,

On the PSR S series keyboards, each drum element can be adjusted in several parameters. Of course, the same thing on the SX is just a different interface. This is how it works on Genos.
https://youtu.be/dNO7MveTd3g

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Thanks, ckobu!!

I just packed my Genos for a show today but as soon as it's back in my studio... :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 01:29:25 PM »
First off I want to thank everyone who replied to my GENOS post,...
But I have been racking my brain trying all of these methods so far with no success and I will tell you why.....

1- I bring up the Registration which has the style I want to use which is "Motor City"
2- Then I go to menu and select style creator "Basic"
3- Next I push direct access and INTRO 3 which takes me to the MIXER
ok now here is where the problem I am having lies,......Please Try to follow me ....
I tab over to STYLE where I can see all the parts within the Style on top.....
the last one on the right is PHRASE2 and it shows a Trumpet/Pop Horns section
But When I start the style using INTRO 3 Phrase2 in the mixer CHANGES to a
"VOCAL SINGER" Icon during the Intro

Intro Phrase2 is what I want to Edit but I need to find out how to get to the Intro 3 phrase2 part section.......then go back to style creator and resave the style to user I have done this so many times on every other Tyros, s and Psr unit.

I hope I am explaining this correctly....?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:19:06 PM by Dnj »

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline ckobu

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »
You wrote "Phrase 3" twice, it doesn't exist.  ???
Watch my video from 05:37.
https://youtu.be/gJi_rqs-Mv8?t=337
I am changing the PAD instrument to MAIN D. You can change the Phrase 2 instrument to INTRO 3 in the same way.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 01:57:53 PM »
Dnj,
After your point 2 and before going to Mixer you need to first select the Section to be edited-in your case Intro 3. By default it won't necessarily be the section you want.

Btw if you use DA + Ending 1 or 2 as your entry to Mixer instead of DA + Intro 3, Mixer appears with the style tab already selected and style parts visible.
John

Offline Dnj

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »
You wrote "Phrase 3" twice, it doesn't exist.  ???
Watch my video from 05:37.
https://youtu.be/gJi_rqs-Mv8?t=337
I am changing the PAD instrument to MAIN D. You can change the Phrase 2 instrument to INTRO 3 in the same way.

Sorry for the Typo error I changed it...and will look at your video asap....

Thank you

UPDATE:...... I watched the video mentioned https://youtu.be/gJi_rqs-Mv8?t=337
and amazingly I think I figured it out somehow ...
between that and all the wonderful replies to help me also..
After selecting style creator> basic>  then using the wheel I scrolled thru and selected INTRO 3 as my target. Then I went into the mixer via (DA) & pressing Intro 3 button....while "holding down" the Intro3 button I started the style and adjusted the Phrase2 part to my desired Volume......exited Mixer by hitting Menu and went back into Style creator and hit the Save tab on top to user. I then exited style creator and resaved my registration....
This was a Genos learning experience & again I thank you all for the help as we all learn from each other.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:57:45 PM by Dnj »

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
DNJ, glad you're making progress.

I love the Genos but we are all basically Windows or Mac users. Yamaha uses basic concepts from these two platforms but they also put their own spin in things, which serves to confuse us. For example, their method for Saving, Copying, Moving, and other functions, is somewhat convoluted relative to what we're use to.

Using the Genos OS is definitely different and takes some getting used to.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 03:45:15 PM »
Yamaha has a great arranger concept, almost anything can be done but it has one big flaw.
She did many things in an illogical way, complicated the procedure, and kept the Manuall to a minimum.
Fortunately, there is this forum and its members selflessly help each other.

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 05:19:52 PM »
Yamaha has a great arranger concept, almost anything can be done but it has one big flaw.
She did many things in an illogical way, complicated the procedure, and kept the Manuall to a minimum.
Fortunately, there is this forum and its members selflessly help each other.
I couldn't agree more! Well put.