Author Topic: Foot pedal setting  (Read 3130 times)

JollyJim

Foot pedal setting
« on: November 16, 2021, 09:49:25 PM »
Hi all,

I have my foot pedal set to 'sustain'. However, every now and again, for no apparent reason,  it changes the setting to 'fade', whereby, pressing the foot pedal, fades the sound out.  I have no idea and hope someone can help, it's really annoying - thanks in advance - Jim

Offline Toril S

Re: Foot pedal setting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 10:30:29 PM »
Registrations can change foot pedal settngs. So can pressing the pedal before the keyboard s fully booted.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:33:35 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 10:38:02 PM »
Hi Jim,

The pedal settings can be saved in Registrations and can therefore also be changed by Registrations (as already mentioned by Toril) . You are probably using one or more registrations where the latter is the case.

In order to be able to quickly reset the pedal settings to your preferred settings on the fly, you could create a bank with one or more Setup Registrations. Save this bank in the user drive, on the internal hard disk and on all USB sticks used, and use a special character (e.g. an underline character) at the beginning of the file name so that this Registration Bank file is displayed at the very front/top.

To ensure that the pedal settings are not (accidentally) changed by Registrations while playing, you can use the Freeze function:

- Press "Direct Access > Freeze" to call up the Freeze settings.

- Make sure that only the check mark next to "Pedal" is set and then press the "Exit" button to close the Freeze display and to save the settings you have made.

- Make sure that Freeze is switched off (LED is off).

- If you have not already done so, make the desired pedal settings now, e.g. via a setup registration. (Immediately after switching on the Tyros4, the three pedal sockets are always assigned the printed standard functions (Pedal # 1 = Sustain, Pedal # 2 = Articulation 1, Pedal # 3 = Volume.)

- Switch on Freeze (LED of the Freeze button lights up) to lock the current pedal settings.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:39:05 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

JollyJim

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:37:50 PM »
Hi Toril and Chris,

Thanks for replying and the information.

I checked on :-

Function/E:Registration/Reg Sequencer/Enable = Off....it was already set to 'off'

Function/E:Registration/Freeze.....Pedal, amongst a couple of others, was already selected.

No matter how much I fiddle around, I cannot stop a registration that has 'pedal=fade in/out' to be over-ridden to 'sustan'. The opposite is also true , that a registration with 'pedal=sustain' will take effect.

This is too deep a problem for me to solve, so, any help, suggestions would be oh so gratefully received.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all

Jim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:57:32 PM »
Hi Toril and Chris,

Thanks for replying and the information.

I checked on :-

Function/E:Registration/Reg Sequencer/Enable = Off....it was already set to 'off'

Function/E:Registration/Freeze.....Pedal, amongst a couple of others, was already selected.

No matter how much I fiddle around, I cannot stop a registration that has 'pedal=fade in/out' to be over-ridden to 'sustan'. The opposite is also true , that a registration with 'pedal=sustain' will take effect.

This is too deep a problem for me to solve, so, any help, suggestions would be oh so gratefully received.

Thanks for reading and best wishes to all

Jim

Good start. Now that you've specified what to freeze, you need to turn Freeze on. It's a button close to your registration buttons.

Ensure the pedal settings are the way you want, then turn Freeze on. As long as Freeze is on, registrations will not change your pedal settings.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

JollyJim

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 11:55:39 PM »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply and information.....it worked !!!! It amazes me that you are able to dig down so far in the 'settings' and get the answers ....but, I'm very glad you can !! I assume that I'll have to press the freesze button whenever I turn the T4 on, but, hey, that's not too much of a hardship...

Thanks again Fred, Toril and Chris - you're all stars !!

Best wishes - Jim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 04:00:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply and information.....it worked !!!! It amazes me that you are able to dig down so far in the 'settings' and get the answers ....but, I'm very glad you can !! I assume that I'll have to press the freesze button whenever I turn the T4 on, but, hey, that's not too much of a hardship...

Thanks again Fred, Toril and Chris - you're all stars !!

Jim,

Good to hear you have it working.

To make your life easier down the road, you should do two things:

1. Create a setup registration which sets up the keyboard the way you want when you turn the keyboard on. You would load this registration every time you power on.

2. Fix your registrations so they don't override your pedal setting (so you don't have to use Freeze any more). You can, in a batch, fix all your registrations using Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager, available here: https://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Both of these you can do at your leisure, but they'll make your life easier when you get them done.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

JollyJim

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:56:47 PM »
Hi  Fred,

Thanks for the reply.....

1. I already have a 'start-up' registration set up ( from one of your previous suggestions to me. lol...) - it works well.

2. Good idea - I'll get into it just after New Year, thanks

Just for information, in case you are interested.

I moved house 6 months ago .Previously, I had a MFC10 set up, with the 'sustain' pedal coming out of one of the jacks on the rear. I did'nt have the problem with the 'sustain' pedal  becoming a 'fade in/out' pedal at that time. Since moving here, I've not yet connected the MFC10 to the T4.  I'm just wondering if the MFC10 makes the difference? I shall get it set up again after New Year, but just wondered if there was some reason for it working 'correctly'. It's not that important now that I've got your resolution in place, but just thought you might find it of interest.

Anyway, thanks again for your time and help, it's very much appreciated

Best wishes - Jim

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 01:26:55 AM »
I moved house 6 months ago .Previously, I had a MFC10 set up, with the 'sustain' pedal coming out of one of the jacks on the rear. I did'nt have the problem with the 'sustain' pedal  becoming a 'fade in/out' pedal at that time. Since moving here, I've not yet connected the MFC10 to the T4.  I'm just wondering if the MFC10 makes the difference? ...

Hi Jim,

The MFC10 pedal is connected via MIDI to the Tyros4. If I understand you correctly, you originally connected the Sustain Pedal to the MFC10.

In this case, the settings in the "Controller > Foot Pedal" display of the Tyros4 have no effect on the Sustain Pedal, but the settings are made directly at the MFC10 and in the MIDI template used (Function > MIDI > EDIT > tab "MFC10").

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

JollyJim

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and, yes, that would explain it would'nt it.....the MIDI settings have over-ridden the T4 settings in regard to the pedal.

Well spotted sir - a gold star to you and thanks, I think that's got to the bottom of it....I'll get the MFC10 set up asap before I get any more unexpected surprises....!!!

Best wishes and thanks again - Jim

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply and, yes, that would explain it would'nt it.....the MIDI settings have over-ridden the T4 settings in regard to the pedal.

Well spotted sir - a gold star to you and thanks, I think that's got to the bottom of it....I'll get the MFC10 set up asap before I get any more unexpected surprises....!!!

Best wishes and thanks again - Jim

Thank you for your kind feedback, Jim! However, that's not quite what I meant. ;)

The settings in the "Controller > Foot Pedal" display (for the pedals connected directly to "Assignable Foot Pedal" jacks 1 - 3) have nothing to do with the MIDI/MFC10 settings and are completely independent of them.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:51:47 PM by overover »

JollyJim

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 05:01:13 PM »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that and, yes, I did totally understand you, but I confused the issue by using the word 'over-ridden'.....whereas, as you say, the MIDI settings are completely independent.

Gotcha.....thanks for the clarification. Just out of interest, do you have anything hooked up to the Tyros using MIDI ?

Best wishes - Jim