Author Topic: The SX900 is back in our store! Not good for my peace of mind!  (Read 9602 times)

Offline Toril S

The SX900 is back in our store! Not good for my peace of mind!
« on: November 16, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »
Hello friends. Yesterday I discovered that the SX900 is back in my store. Using the a Genos a lot has made me value the touch screen more and more. I have an S975 for gigs, and it is a very well balanced keyboard that I really like. I therefore skipped the SX99, waiting to see what comes next. But now it is back, and I have sinful thoughts of adding it to my collection…. Alas, being human is hard…😀🎹🌲

Edit:  Topic title edited by Roger Brenizer
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:19:57 PM by Roger Brenizer »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Toril S

Re: The SX900 is back in our store! Mot good for my peace of mind!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:53:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 07:07:46 PM »
Toril - I think it's what you really need.... another keyboard!
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 07:51:45 PM »
Yes LOL😀 I am putting on the brakes!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 08:00:36 PM »
Toril, like you, I’m “waiting to see what comes next”.  However, the SX 900 is great and does more than what I’ll ever need.  But, improved voices and more creative, professional-sounding styles are always tempting with new products.  So, we wait.

Offline Al Ram

Re: The SX900 is back in our store! Not good for my peace of mind!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 11:21:45 PM »
i have a Genos which is great . . . . to me the SX900 is a great keyboard and probably more portable than Genos. For that reason I have been tempted to buy it . . . . but . . . . don't really need another keyboard . . . so, maybe sell Genos and trade for SX900 . . . . . ?   i have been wondering but it is hard to let Genos go.

so, buy another keyboard ?

Toril, this is like a diet . . . .. have to resist the temptation to eat/buy . . . . . . with will power . . . .

Have a great day

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

The following users thanked this post: P000170

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 11:45:33 PM »
I am sure you would be sorry if you got rid of your Genos for an SX900. Although this is a nice little keyboard it is not a Genos. I have both but I would not let my Genos go.

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:45 PM »
I agree fully with Eileen, the Genos is MUCH better. But for gigs the PSRs are handy. I will never sell my Genos!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 03:06:26 AM »
I am sure you would be sorry if you got rid of your Genos for an SX900. Although this is a nice little keyboard it is not a Genos. I have both but I would not let my Genos go.

Add me to the list I have the sx900 and a Genos but would never sell the Genos.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline ton37

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 07:43:27 AM »
It is only a piece of hardware, no more no less. I don't regret one day I swapped from a Genos to a SX900 . Be it that I am a homeplayer and the Sx900 offers me all the quality and functions I need  to not regret my  (personal) choice  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 01:05:12 PM »
Yes it may be only a piece of hardware but the quality of Genos is so much better  overall. Then we all make our own choices and if happy with them that is all that matters. I use my SX900 for rehearsals as it is light to take out each week but when we do the main show my Genos is used. 

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 03:57:28 PM »
For sure @Eileen, that is indeed a practical and smart approach. Now you have 2 nice keyboards for every situation.  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 09:35:02 PM »
There is no reason to think the SX900 is not a pro arranger keyboard because it is.

Everybody here will agree with me, I hope.

I agree, I've done gigs with the SX900 it does all it does and does it well.  I've got some Christmas house parties I'll be playing in the retirement community I live in and taking the SX900 is a lot easier than taking the Genos and my sound system. The audience will love what they hear.

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 02:30:30 PM »
Hello Jeff,
  I honestly can not see the purpose of you constantly asking these sort of questions.
What does it achieve. We all buy what suits us and what we can afford and in your case what will fit in. Genos its self is not much larger than the Tyros 5 64 note keyboard and is lighter to carry. It has 3Gb of expansion memory many more assignable slots. Revo Drum kits. A much larger screen. Assignable Drawbars which are very useful as Tempo is one of the things you can assign allowing you to raise and lower while playing.
 Around 58 Gb user storage.
Three USB ports. After touch. Richer sound. Three Pedal sockets. All in all the best Flag Ship Yamaha have produced so far.
 Very much a personal choice on if you purchase or not. The thing is don't ask us what we want. What do you want.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 02:47:54 PM »
I started this topic on a light note. Since I already have a Genos I do not have to choose between them. I was just wondering if I should get the SX 900 for gigs because it is lighter to take along. But I will stick with my S975. Lets go back to playing music on our wonderful keyboards🎹🎹🎹
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline Enildo

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »
My opinion is from a musician who I don't think will ever own a Genos, for financial reasons. For me to have the top of the PSR's makes me very happy. The SX900 is a keyboard that is 90% complete to me. I say 90% because there will always be something missing, even Genos is missing something, everyone knows that. The SX900 is lightweight, smaller in size, with built-in speakers where I can rehearse and even perform, just with its built-in speakers. These days I did a presentation, for about 30-40 people, using only the SX900 and the Sub Yamaha KS SW100, the sound was wonderful and I was surprised by the sound quality myself. I use the microphone connected directly to the keyboard and I made an adaptation that I can connect 2 microphones to the "mic" input. The SX 900 features the new speaker system that plays the sound forward, not just up.
Of course it doesn't compare to the Genos, but I can say with certainty that the SX900 doesn't fall short. Remember that for a good show, you will need without a good musician (rehearsing a lot), have a pleasant voice, good speakers, dress in artist clothes, be able to cheer people up, and finally, have a good keyboard. Just having a PSR or a Genos won't make that much difference.

This is the opinion of a Brazilian musician with more than 20 years of experience. My greetings to everyone!
Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »
You sre so right Enildo!
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 04:11:14 AM »
Much in agreement with Enildo’s assessment.  As an aging gigger, I passed on the Genos because of size and weight.  Furthermore, my few chops would barely scratch the surface of what the Genos can do.  All those great features would most likely see little use.  Thus, the SX 900 fits the bill, with a great rhythm section for a vocals-based act, primarily among retirement seniors.  However, I’ll hold out the possibility of being tempted, if a Genos II ever appears.  Minds can change.   

Offline Denn

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 02:07:17 AM »
I dumped the SX900 as the tiny weenie slot for the registrations along the top could only be accessed with a pointer. The 'sliders' have to be moved with the black wheel. The touch screen is is a disaster as far as I am concerned. The YEM is hated by many, you need a computer to get the files. Those who have paid out copious quantities of funds to buy into the kbds with the YEM are hardly likely to admit it is a gimmick. The Genos went a month before the  SX900.
So I stay with my Tyros4.
Regards, Denn.
Love knitting dolls

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 12:59:15 AM »
I think most of us has the KAS (keyboard acquisition syndrome).  ;D ;D ;D
Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 10:18:42 PM »
Yes, LOL! I have a very bad case of KAS :) :) :)
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 12:27:41 AM »
Yes, LOL! I have a very bad case of KAS :) :) :)

Add me to the list too 😁

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline tyros2009

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2022, 02:50:16 AM »
I would like to hear from other members too what their opinion is about the Genos and the SX900

I bought the Genos for a few reasons:
1) have seen the SX900 played by someone I know, not enough arranger play for me to tell
2) SX900 not available at that time, wait time is 4 to 6 months !!!
3) Genos are rare the time I bought, but found one NEW
4) Genos hardware is awsome, I believed new features will be done via firmware upgrades.
5) large touch screen, easy to navigate and typing text ala SmartPhone
Currently only played at home.
For gigs I still use the Tyros3 or recently the S770 (due to its light weight).

Strange that the SX900 (and SX700) still have buttons to select styles and voices even with their touch screen.
Genos got rid of these buttons, STYLE and VOICE buttons will bring up infos on the touch screen.

Korg PA-50, Yamaha YPG-235, E443, EW410, YPT400, Tyros3, Genos, Medeli AKX10, S770

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2022, 11:24:59 AM »
Genos vs SX900/700 vs... We all know, we get "better" keyboard for more money. But when deciding, we really should be honest to ourselves when answering the question: is it a wish or need?
Main advantage (difference compared to SX900) is 88 keys. However, when I read comments on web, for quite some owners this seems to be the "problem" actually: Genos is not really portable -imagine that! So, two things usually happen: owner either replaces Genos with SX900 or buy SX900/700 additionally. Now, I can understand replacing the keyboard with something that serves our purpose better. However, buying additional keyboard (for sake of portability) is somewhat irrational in my eyes. Maybe I see it wrong, but practicing at home on Genos (because at home, we "need" more keys, better voices, more memory, etc.) and then presenting our work to audience on "inferior" SX900/700? Sorry, but I'm not convinced.
On the other hand, when talking about hobby, we shouldn't/can't keep it that rational. It's usually about enjoying what we do and not about what we need.

1) have seen the SX900 played by someone I know, not enough arranger play for me to tell
As always, it all depends on owners skill: well made style arrangement (with fine tuned voices),  can do wonders if a piece is decently played.
4) Genos hardware is awsome, I believed new features will be done via firmware upgrades.
-it better is (for the price). And if you really appreciate that, then you should stick with it (to avoid disappointments). Saying that, keybed on SX900/700 isn't the best -to put it mildly.
I'm not that sure about new features via firmware, though... now that Genos has matured with latest firmware, many are already speculating about "new" Genos to come to market (soon).
Strange that the SX900 (and SX700) still have buttons to select styles....
-agree fully with your observation (as I'm rarely using these buttons anymore). I think the reason is.. to visually impress  ;)

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2022, 08:51:06 PM »
Strange that the SX900 (and SX700) still have buttons to select styles and voices even with their touch screen.
Genos got rid of these buttons, STYLE and VOICE buttons will bring up infos on the touch screen.

I LOVE that the SX-900/700 has both buttons AND a touch screen. Buttons are a nice shortcut that I use all the time, in combination with the excellent touch screen, make for a perfect  user friendly keyboard layout.

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline Alistair53

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 07:47:54 AM »
The SX900 is a excellen pro arranger keyboard
PSR-SX900

Offline nitte02

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 11:03:40 AM »
Hej jag har en psr sx900 toppen bra keybord jag har flera hundra olika sound via min dator som jag köpt som jag kopplar till en extra midekeyboard

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Hej jag har en psr sx900 toppen bra keybord jag har flera hundra olika sound via min dator som jag köpt som jag kopplar till en extra midekeyboard

Translation:
Hi, I have a psr sx900, great keyboard, I have hundreds of different sounds via my computer that I bought, which I connect to an extra midi keyboard
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline Toril S

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 03:52:01 PM »
I started this thread almost a year ago, and have still not purchased the XS900😀
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 05:14:27 PM »
Toril.. now seriously.. I'm looking at your signature and see such a gap.. no SX there? How do you resist?
I'm joking, of course  ;D

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Toril,has not purchased a new keyboard in over a year. The therapy must be working🤭
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2022, 06:49:04 PM »
Since it is against my religion to part with the old ones I have to think about space. Oh, wait! I bought a Yamaha Reface in May!! But it is so small, so it doesn’t count😀😀😀😀😀🎹🎹
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline pjd

« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »
Since it is against my religion to part with the old ones I have to think about space. Oh, wait! I bought a Yamaha Reface in May!! But it is so small, so it doesn’t count😀😀😀😀😀🎹🎹

That's what I said. Now I have mini-keyboards stacked like fire wood.  :D  It's a slippery slope...

Best -- pj

Offline Toril S

« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »
LOL😀 There are 4 Refaces………..
Toril S

and PSR-47.

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 07:07:59 AM »
I agree with you all. To me Both Keyboards are amazing and it's personal choice. I do like that the sx still has buttons too. and wish the Genos had them still.