Author Topic: Turning off s970  (Read 2962 times)

jimbell52

Turning off s970
« on: November 15, 2021, 07:36:45 PM »
I'm not sure if I've seen this before on this  Forum My S970  will not turn off from the power switch I have  to unplug it to turn off Has anyone had issue  I looked in the menu can't seem to fin any thing ?
thanks

Edit 2023-05-12 by overover: Corrected typo in topic title
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:37:36 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline Toril S

Re: turing off s970
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »
Do you get a message in the display? If you have been working with the recoder or style creator, exit and go back to the home screen, then try powering off the keyboard. If it still refuses to shut down I suspect the button itself is at fault. You could try a soft reset by holding down the rightmost white key and the power button until the keyboard has turned on. Let us know how it goes.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline johan

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:56:13 PM »
 You can also unplug the keyboard for a few hours and then try again.
SX700 and S670
Former keyboard: E433, E463

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 07:59:02 PM »
I'm experiencing the same issue with PSR 970. It does not turn off using its power button. I have to unplug it.
It was suggested in this topic to do a "soft reset". Before I try that could someone tell me what would in "soft reset"? Would any of my settings get affected?

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 05:15:17 PM »
Same here.  My understanding is the power button contact has a propensity to gather debris which affects connectivity.

It doesn't affect power up much because that just requires instantaneous contact while the power off function requires 3 seconds of continuous contact. 

I just let the keyboard sit and it turns itself off after 30 minutes.  You can adjust the timing of the automatic power off on the utility menu.

Thx,
NASAMike.

The following users thanked this post: alanclare

Offline overover

Re: Turning off s970
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »
I'm experiencing the same issue with PSR 970. It does not turn off using its power button. I have to unplug it.
It was suggested in this topic to do a "soft reset". Before I try that could someone tell me what would in "soft reset"? Would any of my settings get affected?

Hi SandeepSaxena,

I do NOT think a system reset will solve a power off issue on the S970. The reason is probably a worn or dirty contact in the power button or a defect in the internal power on/off electronics.

A "soft reset" (by holding down the highest white key (C6) while powering on) resets all user-defined system settings to the factory defaults. If you have changed certain settings, you must therefore make them again. Of course, if you have Setup Registrations for certain settings, you can use them as usual. Or you make a system backup before the reset (on the S970 in "Function > Menu 2 > System > Backup/Restore" on a USB stick. You can load this .bup backup file after the reset with "Restore" if necessary.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 09:34:43 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Turning off s970
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 06:27:18 PM »
This is a hardware problem, and the best way to solve it is to take the keyboard to an authorized Yamaha repair center and have them clean the contacts of the power switch. The main reason to take it to the repair center is that on/off switch is situated beneath a lot of circuit boards that must all be removed in order to access the switch. The cleaning job is done with a simple pencil eraser.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator