Author Topic: Midi controller use and internal piano sounds- disable?  (Read 3344 times)

AlatheaSquared

Midi controller use and internal piano sounds- disable?
« on: November 15, 2021, 02:46:22 PM »
How do I, if I can, disable the internal piano engine from playing if I am using the keyboard as a midi controller on my Ipad? I know I can route the audio out from the Ipad (though last night I was able to do it via Bluetooth as well) and whatnot, but does the main volume controller on the keyboard only control the piano engine, or does it control the Aux In volume in tandem with whatever my Ipad is putting out for volume?

I won't be using it often this way since I have synths but I like the ability to use the onboard speakers without having to power up my external floor powered speaker.

Offline Normanfernandez

Re: Midi controller use and internal piano sounds- disable?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 04:08:27 PM »
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,55672.0.html

I'm not sure what you want to do.
But could this help you?
Norman Fernandez Keyboardplayer
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngm8h5k5NmKnowJpkxlDBQ

PSR S770 - Roland FP 30 - PSR 280
Cubase - Kontakt6

AlatheaSquared

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 05:38:31 PM »
Thanks for replying, Norman. I want to occasionally use the keyboard only to play VST instruments on my Ipad/Other laptop, without the piano itself sounding. What does that download that you posed do?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 05:39:48 PM by AlatheaSquared »

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 05:50:24 PM »
My expansion pack does that.

Cubase - Kontakt6

AlatheaSquared

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:23:10 PM »
Great! Is that the file that I downloaded, or do you have a separate repository pack?

I *think* I found how to do what I want in the reference manual on p80, but Im not sure yet since I can't try it right now.

Master Keyboard-

Turns the Local Control for each part on or off. When Local Control is set to On, the keyboard of the instrument controls its own (local) internal tone generator, allowing the internal Voices to be played directly from the keyboard. If you set Local Control to Off, the keyboard
and controllers are internally disconnected from the instrument’s tone generator section so
that no sound is output when you play the keyboard or use the controllers. For example, this
allows you to use an external MIDI sequencer to play the instrument’s internal Voices, and
use the instrument keyboard to record notes to the external sequencer and/or play an external
tone generator.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:24:36 PM by AlatheaSquared »

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »
You install the file as an expansion pack. 
You'll have to use the voice from the expansion section.

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline Bill

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 07:03:34 PM »
You can simply select a voice from the KB called "No Assign"

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

AlatheaSquared

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 07:51:47 PM »
No kidding? Jeez I feel dumb. I’ve not looked through all the voices. Since it’s not a synth I assumed that all the voice slots would be full. I didn’t think you could get voices, just styles. I’ll have to look at that more closely. Thank you.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 08:08:45 PM »
Setting local control to off is the right way to do this.
Genos

Offline Normanfernandez

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »
You can simply select a voice from the KB called "No Assign"

Bill

Where exactly is this voice located?

Cubase - Kontakt6

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 12:19:16 PM »
Where exactly is this voice located?

No Assign? On Genos it is at the end of the Ensemble/Others folder and given the voice nos. 109 000 128.
I don't know if it is available as a visible voice file elsewhere on other keyboards but if not you may be able to get a similar effect by loading the numbers via midi although I can't be sure of that.

John
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:37:30 PM by jwyvern »

AlatheaSquared

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
I looked at the Data List for DGX670- I don't think it has a voice "no assign" or variations of. That's probably what the 'local control' is for.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 01:09:10 PM »
Hi AlatheaSquared,

There is a relatively simple way to disable the internal keyboard parts while using MIDI to control an external tone generator:

- Call up the MIDI Setting display on your DGX-700:
[MENU] > Cursor buttons > MIDI > [ENTER]

- Select the Preset MIDI template "KBD & STYLE" and close the MIDI display again using the "Exit" button.

- Now, if you wish, you can switch off all keyboard parts (Left, Main, Layer) and still control an external sound generator via MIDI. The right-hand parts are now handled together as "Upper" (instead of Main and Layer), and the left-hand part is handled as "Lower". "Upper" is transmitted on MIDI Channel 1, "Lower" on MIDI Channel 2, in this case.

Alternatively, you could switch the keyboard parts that are not supposed to produce an internal sound to "Local Off" in the MIDI setting:

- Call up the MIDI Setting display (as described above).

- Use the previously used MIDI template (e.g. "All Parts") or "KBD & STYLE".

- Press "Edit" (lower "8" button).

- In the "System" tab you can now switch off the parts you want under "Local Control" (e.g. Left, Main, Layer).

- Press "Exit" once to exit the Edit display (and return to the "MIDI Setting" display).

- Here you go to the "User" tab and use "Save" to save the current MIDI settings as a User MIDI template. (Use a meaningful name!)

- If you often have to switch between a Preset MIDI template and a User MIDI template, you can also save the relevant Preset template (unchanged) in the user drive.

Important: MIDI templates CANNOT be switched via Registrations, but must always be switched manually (in the MIDI Setting display).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 01:18:59 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

AlatheaSquared

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 01:17:01 PM »
So I could effectively create a split between vst and piano? That’s COOL!