Author Topic: Registrations  (Read 4762 times)

bobn1944

Registrations
« on: November 12, 2021, 05:10:54 AM »
Hi all
I have had an S950 for about 6/7 years now & am considering upgrading to the SX900.
First of all, is the upgrade worth the extra money?
Secondly, I have lots of registrations on the S950 saved to a flash drive, will these be compatible with the SX900,
or will I have to start from scratch?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 05:21:11 AM by bobn1944 »

Offline Toril S

Re: Registrations
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
1. it is worth the money. 2. unfortunately you will have to rework the registrations. But you can do it with a computer program. I believe it is called murray Bests registration manager.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »
Your registrations will probably work but bear in mind the SX900 has three right hand voices and your 950 registrations will only use right one and right two. This is not a problem as you can always add a third voice as and when needed at you leisure.
  The SX900 will be a big improvement especially sound wise. Also you will be able to use now Free voice and style packs from Yamaha into the 1Gb memory that is fitted.

vadesriux

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 11:22:09 AM »
Hi Eileen. Hope everything is well with you.

Since you own a Genos and a SX900 do you think the Genos has an edge sound wise (definition and quality of sound) compared to the SX900?

I have this feeling but would like to know your opinion also. Thank you and have a nice day.

Offline Jeff_M

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »
I too had an S950 and went to the SX900.  I really liked my 950 but figured it was time for an upgrade.  The main reason I stuck with Yamaha was because I'm at the age where I didn't want to learn a different operating system. When I went from the S710 to the S950 the transition was easy.  Well, the SX900 is somewhat different, enough so that I almost sent it back (merchant gave me 30 days to do so).  BUT...I'm sure glad I kept it.  Once I got over the hump, I started to really enjoy it.  It's a significant step up from the S950.  Having said that, transferring registrations from the S950 isn't really worth it.  I did it, but ended up tweaking almost all of them (being retired meant I had the time to do it).  The instrument is loads of fun to play and has been very well received when I gig (I use a Yamaha Stagepas 600 with a Bose Sub1).    I'd strongly encourage you to make the change.  Best of luck, and keep us posted.  :-) 

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 05:13:56 PM »
The SX900 is a very nice keyboard but can never be compared with Genos either sound wise or key bed quality. Genos is the very top of the quality range.

vadesriux

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 06:18:51 PM »
That is also my conclusion Eileen. But I have been delighted with the keybed of the 900. Very very nice, super quiet and super smooth. Thank you for your insight.

bobn1944

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 02:56:31 AM »
Updating my original post I took me flash drive with my registrations to a music shop in Bangkok. My overall impression of the SX900 was very good. However I couldn't read any of my registrations, the folders were readable but they were empty. No song registration titles so it looks like starting from scratch if I decide to buy one.
Many thanks to all for replying. Bob

The following users thanked this post: Pauljones

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2021, 03:07:59 AM »
Updating my original post I took me flash drive with my registrations to a music shop in Bangkok. My overall impression of the SX900 was very good. However I couldn't read any of my registrations, the folders were readable but they were empty. No song registration titles so it looks like starting from scratch if I decide to buy one.

As Toril said, you can convert the registrations using Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

bobn1944

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 06:32:44 AM »
Hi Fred

Thanks for the info

Cheers
Bob

Online overover

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 01:48:31 PM »

Hi Bob,

S950 and SX900 Registration Bank files have the same file extension (.rgt). Therefore you should definitely SEE the S950 Registration files on the SX900.

If a folder that definitely contains Registration files appears to be "empty", you may have called up the "wrong" File Selection display. Registration Bank files are only shown in the Registration Bank Selection display (press the Regist Bank minus and plus buttons at the same time or touch the Registration section in the Home display).

Registration files are not shown in other File Selection displays (e.g. Style or Voice).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:59:11 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
Hi all
I have had an S950 for about 6/7 years now & am considering upgrading to the SX900.
First of all, is the upgrade worth the extra money?
Secondly, I have lots of registrations on the S950 saved to a flash drive, will these be compatible with the SX900,
or will I have to start from scratch?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Touch screen, an additional RH voice, more and better DSP'S, styles, and voices along with expansion memory and upgraded speakers, make it a rather easy choice to upgrade.

Considering that, registrations from an S950 to a SX-900 will probably require some work, but the S950 registrations can be used as a guide to be tweaked either/and/or  on the SX-900 and Murray Best's Yamaha Registration Manager.

Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

bobn1944

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2021, 12:53:48 AM »
Overover

Yes you are probably correct. I only had 10 minutes trying out the SX900 so I was probably going about selecting the registrations in the wrong way.

Thanks for the info.

bobn1944

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2021, 01:00:10 AM »
LaHawk

Well the deed has been done. I sold my S950 yesterday so will be going to Bangkok today (Monday) to collect my new SX900.
Fun times ahead. And maybe some headaches along the way. It's not easy at nearly 78 years young learning a new instrument.

Bob

Offline meyrick

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 07:00:18 AM »
Hi bobn1944
At 79 I changed my Tyros 4 to an SX900 October 2020, best thing I ever did. A new keyboard is a bit like a computer, 'Don't press delete', and you can't go far wrong.
It has taken some time to find my way around the SX900, but its surprising what a couple of hours a day can achieve. My main problem is changing files from the T4 to SX900, but I press on. UVN files have me at a disadvantage at present as I can't get the reg manager to accept them, so there has to be another way. Ho hum.
I hope you get as much enjoyment from your SX900 as I do.

Regards
Meyrick
(Khon Kaen)

Online overover

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 08:51:12 AM »
Hi bobn1944
At 79 I changed my Tyros 4 to an SX900 October 2020, ...
... My main problem is changing files from the T4 to SX900, but I press on. UVN files have me at a disadvantage at present as I can't get the reg manager to accept them, so there has to be another way. ...

Hi meyrick,

.UVN and .UVD files are Tyros3/4 Custom Voice files (no Registration files). Therefore the Registration Manager (YRM) cannot do anything with it. ;)

However, you can import .UVN / .UVD files into the Expansion Manager (YEM) and then install these Voices on the SX900:

- Use at least YEM V2.7.0 (better the current version 2.8.1).

- Create a new, empty Pack with "My Packs > Create Pack" (or use an existing, own Pack).

- You can now import UVN or UVD Voices into this Pack (via "Import Content" or by dragging with the mouse into the lower right area of ​​the YEM window).

By the way, you can even import Tyros4 Custom Voice Library files (.UVI) directly into the YEM as a Pack (via "My Packs > Import Pack" or dragging with the mouse into the upper part of the "My Packs" window. However, all .UVN or .UVD files used (linked) in the relevant Library are located on the computer in the same folder as the library file (.UVI).

Note: What has been described will work best with .UVN/.UVD Voices, which only use their own samples. Problems could arise with .UVN/.UVD Voices that only use Tyros4 preset samples. The latter can be recognized by the very small file size (only a few kilobytes).

There are also .UVN/.UVD Voices that contain their own samples, but also use Tyros4 preset samples. Again, there could be a problem (namely that the Voices do not sound as expected after installation).

In case of doubt, I recommend simply trying it out, i.e. simply importing all possible .UVN/.UVD Voices into the YEM, then installing the Pack on the SX900 and testing the Voices there. You can then delete Voices that are not working or that are not required from the YEM. Important: Don't forget to save the Pack(s) you have created yourself on your computer (as a .ppf Pack file via "My Packs > Export Pack").

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

bobn1944

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
Hi again Overover.

It is as I thought, I was trying to access the registration files in the wrong manner.
I have fathomed it out now & from what I've found they don't sound too bad. Maybe a little tweeking here & there.

Thanks to everyone with your imput. No doubt I will be asking for some more advice in the coming weeks.

Regards
Bob

Offline meyrick

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 09:55:48 AM »
Hi overover
Yes, as I discovered just after having posted to bobn1944. I had it in the back of my mind that I'd seen the means somewhere, and then remembered Casp's video. With a little more searching the mud cleared.
Many thanks for your very clear explanation and added information, I have copied and pasted to a word file to keep with all my other SX900 info. I hope that is not out of order?

Kind Regards

meyrick 

P.S. Old age never comes alone.  :>)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 11:24:35 AM »
Don't forget there are new free packs that you can download for your SX900. Some also contain new styles.

Online overover

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 02:05:07 PM »
Thank you for your kind feedback, Bob and meyrick!

@Bob
I hope you enjoy your new SX900!

@meyrick
It is always good to be able to look up tips again later. I usually set a bookmark in the browser to make it easier to find important forum posts later. In some cases, as you have done, I also copy forum content into Word or TXT files, or I just save the relevant browser page directly on the computer.

By the way, the free Yamaha Expansion Packs that Eileen mentioned are here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

Important: Not all of these Packs are compatible with the SX900. Therefore, first select the SX900 in the drop-down list at the top left in order to display the compatible Packs.

Best regards,
Chris

bobn1944

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 02:50:10 AM »
Hi Chris
Thanks for all the information.
I have downloaded expansion packs in the past for my S950 but I have never used them.
The reason being here in Thailand we have quite a few power cuts & it worries me that I may have a power cut during installation.
I like the look of the 'Romance Latino' pack so I might give it a try, but I think it's best to get used to the basics of the SX900 before installing any extras.
It's quite daunting the difference between the two keyboards. There is a lot to learn.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Bob

Online overover

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 03:41:31 AM »
Hi Chris
Thanks for all the information.
I have downloaded expansion packs in the past for my S950 but I have never used them.
The reason being here in Thailand we have quite a few power cuts & it worries me that I may have a power cut during installation.
I like the look of the 'Romance Latino' pack so I might give it a try, but I think it's best to get used to the basics of the SX900 before installing any extras.
It's quite daunting the difference between the two keyboards. There is a lot to learn.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards Bob

Thanks for this detailed feedback, Bob!

By the way, while you could only install a single Expansion Pack on the S950, you can also install several Packs at the same time on the SX900 (as long as the maximum available Voice Wave storage space of around 1 GB is not exceeded). In addition, you can also deselect certain Voices that are not required in the YEM in order to save storage space.

Basically, I recommend that you first take your time to familiarize yourself with your new SX900, so don't start with the topic of "Expansion Packs" right away. ;)

Best regards,
Chris

Live Musician Newbie

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 04:46:10 AM »
...The reason being here in Thailand we have quite a few power cuts & it worries me that I may have a power cut during installation...

A best practice I have always followed.
Invest in a UPS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply
An average one should cost you 3% of your Keyboard price. Should give you at least 20 minutes backup enough time to power down. PLUS I think it protects you from major power fluctuations.

bobn1944

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 07:46:32 AM »
Live Musician Newbie.

Yes this looks like a good investment.
Not sure if they are available in Thailand.
I will check it out.

Thanks
Bob

bobn1944

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »
Hi Live Musician Newbie.
Would you mind taking a look at the link below. Would you say this is a suitable UPS?
Thanks in advance.

I hope I'm within the forum rules & regs to do this.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/apc-easy-ups-bv800i-mst-800va480watt-ups-for-gaming-play-station-10-15-i444136570-s822308330.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.78594e76ICJNFJ&search=1&freeshipping=1