Author Topic: Main difference between SX600 vs. SX900 (technical)  (Read 10030 times)

vadesriux

Re: Main difference between SX600 vs. SX900 (technical)
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
Hi Hans.

Great combination for sure. Korg always had great sounds on their instruments, especially the pads and more.

Yesterday I was trying, on my SX900, to alter the decay of a particular sound only to find out that... you cant. You can change the attack and release but not the decay if you, for instance, want the sound to fade away when you press a key. That would be really easy for Yamaha to add: control over ADSR. Super simple but you dont get that on the 600/700/900.

Wonder if inside YEM you can alter the decay of a sound...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 12:58:32 PM by vadesriux »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

janamdo

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »
Hi,

Who knows with the coming successors of SX700/SX900, more sound building can be done.
I am afraid that more sound controlling for the arrangers will be on easy level (limited use) staying
The ideal combination for a arranger  : taylor your sound as you want and use accopaniment styles
For sound sculpturing you do need a synthesizer
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:09:01 PM by janamdo »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »

Yes. YEM gives you full control over all 8 elements.

It's just a pain since you need to install the modified voice as a part of a pack in order to use it. And SX models can't reuse the inbuilt waveforms, unlike Tyros and Genos.
Genos

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2021, 03:07:41 PM »
Hi Janamdo  :

It is hard to believe the SX successors will be available before 2024-2025 IF ... they ever come.🤭

Even another update will not be expected, I guess ...

But ... miracles do still exist ... you never know.😛

Best wishes, JH

janamdo

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2021, 03:13:05 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I am curious when the new Yamaha arrangers are coming, and if they surpass the old ones?

Cheers
Jan

Offline hans1966

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
Hi Jeff, thanks for your interest.

In fact I am working on an instrumental song where both keyboards have their leading role.

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline hans1966

« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
Hi Hans.

Great combination for sure. Korg always had great sounds on their instruments, especially the pads and more.

Yesterday I was trying, on my SX900, to alter the decay of a particular sound only to find out that... you cant. You can change the attack and release but not the decay if you, for instance, want the sound to fade away when you press a key. That would be really easy for Yamaha to add: control over ADSR. Super simple but you dont get that on the 600/700/900.

Hello Vadesriux, thank you very much for your kind words.

You are correct in what you say regarding the fading or degradation of the sound in the sx900, since it does not have enough deep editing tools to achieve that, much less warp it until it is completely changed into another.

Even so, it has a wide range of very beautiful sounds with which you can work and create different environments, which make the listener's imagination fly.

I do not have YEM installed at the moment to test if the degradation of the sound through this software is feasible, due to an update that I made from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 of 32, which is not compatible with the latest YEM update.

I love the sounds of the Kross 2, especially the pads and effects that wisely combined with the SX900 create a very pleasant atmosphere.

Cheers

Hans
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 05:12:17 PM by hans1966 »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2021, 06:10:06 PM »
Even so, it has a wide range of very beautiful sounds with which you can work and create different environments, which make the listener's imagination fly.

This is true, we should not lose sight of this.
Genos

blackpool

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »
Out of interest re 'partnering' I have a korg i3 with an SX and they work really well.
As I have mentioned before ....an SX700 plus the Korg can be bought for less than the cost of a 900 ...depends what your needs are.

by the way...I recon a good 'rule of thumb' within a range, is to see whats available on the used market ...ironically there are SEVERAL used 600's on eBay just now yet NOT ONE 700/900 ...so to me thats a good indicator of the spec/price diff.

I still believe the 700 is the best value arranger Yamaha has ever produced to date ( I am so surprised of the little cost difference to a 600 )
I say that as an X Genos owner. which I found over sized for the limited length space i have...moving back down to a 900 then now to a 700 which has all the spec I need, used with the Korg for over a year and am really happy as i like many of the features and sounds of both makers, so it's nice to have both.

Keith

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:37:00 PM by blackpool »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2021, 07:19:48 PM »
I can see the Korg synth is very popular for you, Guys.
It looks to be a great combi with the SX900.
What am I missing  ?🤪

JH
A happy SX900 player

Offline hans1966

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2021, 04:38:41 AM »
Hi Jeff, You don't miss a thing.

It's just that everyone has their own tastes and needs.

for example for me, it is more exciting to combine Arrangements + Synth.

since they are two different worlds and each one has its own charm.

others will prefer the synth + synthesizer combination, and others will prefer arranger + arranger.

for tastes there are colors.

my recommendation is, enjoy what you have at the moment,
and get the most out of it.

For my part, I am very happy with the keyboard configuration I have.

below attached image

Cheers

Hans

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 04:43:51 AM by hans1966 »

janamdo

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I am curious when the new Yamaha arrangers are coming, and if they surpass the old ones?

Cheers
Jan
Still a fantastic keyboard the SX600 and i has a mobilsheet pro (software) support for displaying songbooks on a tablet in front of you.
When i started with this keyboard on this forum i get help for setting up a songbook.

A songbook shows de pdf of the song (notes , chords)  and automatically the style is already loaded, so right away you can start playing.
Setting up this can take some time: see old post of the thread. 
Note: using a anymore old computerscreen can be positioned behind your keyboard, makes that you can see clearly the notes and play with ease.( and maybe sing along) ;D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 05:44:02 PM by janamdo »