Author Topic: Fill Ins via pedal  (Read 3089 times)

Offline DaveS

Fill Ins via pedal
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:17:48 AM »
Hello friends. 

On my Genos, I'm trying to assign a Fill Self function to Pedal Two.  But when I do assign it, a press of the pedal results in a loop of Fill Self, and won't stop until I press the pedal again, which is hard sometimes to get it to do so right on the beat (to go off, that is).  Am I missing something?   My thinking is that press the pedal once and it should execute only for the one bar fill.

Yes, I'm using a momentary pedal, actually a 2nd sustain-style pedal similar to my Roland pedal I use for the actual sustain.

How can I get this to execute only the one or each time i press the pedal?

Cheers

Dave
way up here in Cairns, Australia.
Genos, Fender Acoustic Guitar, Lap Steel, Besson Cornet
Entertainer at local restaurants, clubs etc
Radio presenter at CairnsFM, Cairns, Qld
Program Executive at Phoenix 96.3fm, Bundaberg

Offline Colin D

Re: Fill Ins via pedal
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
Dave, try changing the polarity of your switch and or in software
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline Colin D

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 11:28:26 AM »
I have two genuine Yamaha pedals like that for sale
Previous, Technics E44, E66, U90, G7, GX7 G100, Tyros 2, Tyros 5, now Genos,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNozAL1Whf-t4TJY5wPK57Q

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 12:57:04 PM »
Hello friends. 

On my Genos, I'm trying to assign a Fill Self function to Pedal Two.  But when I do assign it, a press of the pedal results in a loop of Fill Self, and won't stop until I press the pedal again, which is hard sometimes to get it to do so right on the beat (to go off, that is).  Am I missing something?   My thinking is that press the pedal once and it should execute only for the one bar fill.

Yes, I'm using a momentary pedal, actually a 2nd sustain-style pedal similar to my Roland pedal I use for the actual sustain.

How can I get this to execute only the one or each time i press the pedal? ...

Hi DaveS,

In my opinion, your pedal is a latched switch. This is the only conceivable possibility that the problem described occurs (first actuation = contact is permanently closed, second actuation = contact is permanently opened, or the other way round). I recommend measuring the pedal in question with an ohmmeter or continuity tester.

Pedals that work as "momentary switches" must be used on Yamaha keyboards. Yamaha FC5 and FC4A are such pedals. They have a mono jack plug (TS plug) and the electrical contact is "normally closed" (contact opens when the pedal is pressed down).

You can also use "momentary switch" pedals with reversed polarity ("normally open", contact is closed when the pedal is pressed down), but, as mentioned NOT a "latched switch" pedal.

Pedals should be connected to the keyboard BEFORE switching it on. Important: Do not step on a pedal (accidentally) during the boot process, because the polarity of the pedal is automatically recognized.

Pressing the "Direct Access" button and then stepping on the desired pedal (after the keyboard has fully booted up) opens the pedal setting display. If necessary, the polarity can also be reversed manually here.

After setting the pedal functions, please close the setting display by pressing the "Exit" button or by touching the "X" symbol. With newer models (Genos, PSR-SX) the pedal settings are saved in the System Setup so that they are available again even after a restart. However, the pedal settings can be changed again through Registrations. It is therefore advisable to work with one or more "Setup Registrations" that contain the preferred pedal settings.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 12:59:22 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)