Author Topic: satellite speakers  (Read 1800 times)

Offline lenzieman

satellite speakers
« on: October 29, 2021, 01:08:20 PM »
Hi guys, I've just stumbled across a tutorial on Youtube by a gentleman called Fred Smith. The video is 9 years old by the way. I noticed that Mr. Smith did not have satellite speakers on his T4. Is there an alternative to the usual set up?  Cheers.

Offline abr

Re: satellite speakers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »
Hi lenieman

Why not ask him??

Fred Smith is a Moderator on this forum.

I'm sure Fred would be very willing to help.
he always is. ;)

Incidentally I have a Tyros 4 and I use Logitech Z5400  THX 5 speaker system.

regards
Arthur
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 07:45:23 PM by abr »

Offline lenzieman

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 09:56:57 AM »
Thank you Arthur. I have sent Fred a PM. Did not know Fred was a fellow member. Should have guessed, mind you!  Keep safe and well.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:28:00 AM »
Bottom line, yes, there’s an alternative to the satellite speakers. You can you whatever sound system you want.

A more complete response is I never liked the speakers that came with the original Tyros. So when I upgraded to the T4, I didn’t include them in the purchase.

When I’m practicing, I use headphones so as to not disturb my wife. When I’m playing for any decent sized audience, I need more powerful speakers. The problem is hearing what you’re playing, as most audience soeaker setups don’t provide that feedback.

Things changed completely when Gary Diamond posted about the Bose L1 sound system. You place this slightly behind yourself so you hear what the audience hears. They’re fantastic, and I’ve used them ever since. More recently, I’ve graduated to a pair of L1 compacts as they’re easier on an aging back.

And, when I upgrade to a different keyboard, I don’t have to change speakers.

Cheers,
Fred

PS: Wow, 9 years ago. Time flies.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
There are dozens and dozens of posts on the forum about various speaker systems.  The choices available are endless. Try your search function.  For home use small monitors with or without a woofer are popular.  There are a couple of places you can go to listen to speakers in the city, Glasgow sound Centre and RSJ at Hillington, and there used to be a little shop behind St Enoch Sq where I bought mine. Not sure which if any of them survived the pandemic.

Mike

Offline lenzieman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
Thanks guys for your useful and helpful posts.  I think mikf was suggesting Kenny's Music in Jamaica St. although it has traded under different names over the years. Might take a wander down and check it out.  Lots of other options to ponder, as well. Thanks again.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
Yes, I believe you are correct, Kenny’s Music. The guy there was really helpful, sold me a pair of terrific Fluid Audio monitors a few years ago for about 100 pounds.
Mike
PS ….Hope you avoided all the flooding last week. I am back in beautiful sunny Houston avoiding all the horrible weather, 🤤