Author Topic: Interesting discovery (legacy preset sounds on PSR SX600)  (Read 2322 times)

ACSACS

Interesting discovery (legacy preset sounds on PSR SX600)
« on: October 29, 2021, 12:18:26 PM »
I found some registration bank files from my old PSR S900 10 years ago.

I loaded one up and was surprised to hear the old PSR S900 piano sound, which I didn't;t think existed n my new PSR SX600.

When looking at what sound was selected I found it in the 'LEGACY/PRESETS' folder.

I'm not sure I'm able to access this folder usually. Is it a hidden one? Anyway just wanted to share in case it was useful.

I was able to then COPY the piano sound and store it in the SX600 user area. Cool!

[attachment deleted by admin]

janamdo

Re: Interesting discovery (legacy preset sounds on PSR SX600)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 12:40:16 PM »
Hi,
Do you think this piano sound is better then the default piano?
Looks like this legacy piano sound similar as the ambient piano...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:50:41 PM by janamdo »

Offline overover

Re: Interesting discovery (legacy preset sounds on PSR SX600)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »
Hi ACSACS,

Such a "Legacy" Voice folder exists on many Yamaha arranger keyboard models. You can easily access that folder from the Voice Selection display (Preset tab) by pressing the upper "8" button ("up" arrow) to display the Voice category folders. On the SX600, the Legacy folder is on page 1 (P1) here. You can also select P2 for additional Voices (GM&XG and Mega Voices).

Please see page 3 in the SX600 Reference Manual ("Selecting MegaVoice, GM, XG, and GM2 voices").

See also the chapters "Voice List" and "Drum/SFX Kit List" in the SX600 Data List. All Preset Voices are listed there.

If needed, you can download all SX600 manuals here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx600/downloads.html#product-tabs

P.S.
The GM&XG Voices I mentioned cannot be shown/called up by default in the Voice Selection display for keyboard parts (Right/Left parts) on newer models (probably also with the SX600), but can only used for MIDI songs or Styles). But you can still use the GM&XG Preset Voices in keyboard parts by downloading a zip file provided by Eileen, copying the contained folders with User Voices to a USB stick and using them from there. (You can also copy these User Voices from the USB stick to the User drive, because User Voice files are very small.)

Use the download link in this post: :)
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,56679.msg441207.html#msg441207

By the way, the GM&XG Voices are missing, as with other newer models, probably also in the SX600 Data List. If necessary, download the Tyros5 Data List, which also contains the GM&XG Voices:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/manuals/index.html?l=en&c=keyboards&k=Tyros5

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 01:27:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)